Bi-amping

Huggy

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Gidday people. I'm considering trying a bi-amping set-up for the first time. I'm a 2-channel guy.

I've usually used integrated amps and am currently running an Arcam AVR300 via the internal bi-amping setup it has using channels 6 & 7. It sounds pretty good through my Proac Studio 140 speakers. However, I've just purchased a Perreaux E200 (200W/channel into 8 ohms). It's an older amp (1994 I believe), but with more power and being dedicated to 2-channel it hopefully might offer an improved sound on the Arcam. I'll test it out soon next to the Arcam when I get the Perreaux back soon from its service.

However, my primary question is: would my Perreaux E200 work OK alongside a Perreaux E100 (100W/channel) or even a Perreaux PMF1850 (180W/channel). I'm aware that the amps used for bi-amping should have the same "gain". I have contacted the Perreaux office here in NZ and their very helpful technician has replied to my query noting that the difference in gain between the E200 and E100 would be about 3dB given that the E200 has twice the power of the E100, but that maybe I could try it out to see if it works as theory and practice may differ? What are people's thoughts here? Would the 200W amp work OK alongside the 100W amp given that they are both the same make, and if I were to use the 200W to drive the low frequencies and the 100W to drive the high frequencies?

Another possible option has come up where an older 80's Perreaux PMF1850 has come up for sale and would that one possibly work better with the E200 than the E100 as it is 180W/channel opposed to the 100W/channel E100 and therefore there would be less difference in gain?

Hope this is not too confusing, but I would appreciate anyone's input here about this situation. I was just wanting to try bi-amping as many people say it improves the sound.

Also, out of interest, do you think that the the older 2-channel Perreaux (200W, 1994) will be better than the 7.1 channel Arcam (120W, 2005) I am using presently sound wise? I will try them side-by-side as noted above, but just wanted to hear if anyone out there has any opinions on this. All opinions welcome :).

Huggy

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Since just signing up to this forum today I've read a number posts on bi-amping and there seems a general consensus that bi-amping is not perhaps what it's been cut out to be and that it's perhaps better to buy a higher-end integrated or pre/power combo. So maybe I'll test my Arcam AVR300 side-by side with the Perreaux E200/EP3 combo and keep the set-up that sounds best?

Good day to you Sir, and welcome to the forum.
Bi-amping, when done properly can be very successful however I emphasise properly and this doesn't mean using two integrated amps.
I have had a system in the past that employed a preamp and monoblock amplifiers to accomplish this.
I think the thing on the forum that isn't all it's cut out to be is more likely to be bi-wiring.
Will be interested to hear how your Perreaux E200 sound on it's own.

Huggy

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Greetings Al ears. Thank you very much for your welcome and reply to what I have written.
I tried bi-wiring before on my first piece of kit: a little NAD 304 integrated coupled to some Mission M73 floor standers. According to my ears there was a discernible difference in sound where I detected the bass as tighter and cleaner and the treble more crisp and clear. It could have been my imagination, though I was sure of this improvement in sound quality.
As I'm sure you are aware, the Perreaux E200 is a power amp, as are the Perreaux E100 and PMF1850 that could potentially be coupled up to the E200 in a bi-amping situation. I have a Perreaux EP3 as the pre-amp. The Arcam AVR300 is of course a receiver, and a dang good one at that with plenty of grunt.
I've been really happy with the Arcam AVR300 and the Proacs and consider myself very fortunate to have such nice gear. Once I get my newly purchased older Perreaux E200 and EP3 back from the approved Perreaux technician, whom I took them to for a service - just to ensure they were good to go (after they blew up the previous owners speakers) - I will put the Arcam and the Perreaux set up next to each other for a blast to compare them.
I am very keen to hear the Perreaux E200 and EP3 combo on their own but was wondering if any gains might be had bi-wiring these with another Perreaux power amp. But maybe it might be better (according to other threads here) just to buy a quality 2-channel integrated in the long term (like an NAD C388 (150W), Perreaux 200W or Micromega (200W))?

Greetings Al ears. Thank you very much for your welcome and reply to what I have written.
I tried bi-wiring before on my first piece of kit: a little NAD 304 integrated coupled to some Mission M73 floor standers. According to my ears there was a discernible difference in sound where I detected the bass as tighter and cleaner and the treble more crisp and clear. It could have been my imagination, though I was sure of this improvement in sound quality.
As I'm sure you are aware, the Perreaux E200 is a power amp, as are the Perreaux E100 and PMF1850 that could potentially be coupled up to the E200 in a bi-amping situation. I have a Perreaux EP3 as the pre-amp. The Arcam AVR300 is of course a receiver, and a dang good one at that with plenty of grunt.
I've been really happy with the Arcam AVR300 and the Proacs and consider myself very fortunate to have such nice gear. Once I get my newly purchased older Perreaux E200 and EP3 back from the approved Perreaux technician, whom I took them to for a service - just to ensure they were good to go (after they blew up the previous owners speakers) - I will put the Arcam and the Perreaux set up next to each other for a blast to compare them.
I am very keen to hear the Perreaux E200 and EP3 combo on their own but was wondering if any gains might be had bi-wiring these with another Perreaux power amp. But maybe it might be better (according to other threads here) just to buy a quality 2-channel integrated in the long term (like an NAD C388 (150W), Perreaux 200W or Micromega (200W))?
I understand, and my apologies I was convinced the E series were integrated amps. I think in your situation the only way I would bi-amp is if I could purchase another E200, but that's just a personal opinion. Many think a less expensive option is to reduce the box / cable count,sell everything and buy a quality integrated although I am not sure I would agree with this approach.

Huggy

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for that Al ears. Yes, that's what I have thought: that the ideal would be to get another E200 to bi-amp with the current one. And I agree with the simplicity of less boxes and cables re one decent integrated vs several power amps etc. I appreciate your interaction. Thank you. It's been helpful as I consider this.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks for that Al ears. Yes, that's what I have thought: that the ideal would be to get another E200 to bi-amp with the current one. And I agree with the simplicity of less boxes and cables re one decent integrated vs several power amps etc. I appreciate your interaction. Thank you. It's been helpful as I consider this.
Nice to see someone show such appreciation for advice.
Good on you 'Huggy'
Welcome, indeed you are.

No problem. We try to be useful. :)

Huggy

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Cheers lads. I got the Perreaux E200 back from its service yesterday and plugged it in. Plenty of power available with this amp and a beautiful clear, crisp sound with excellent bass control and sweet highs. Very happy with it so far.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts