Quad 44 tape input settings

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone familiar with the Quad 44 control unit?

Specific question regarding the Tape input dip switch settings.

I'm using one input for my pre-outs of my Denon AVR-3801.

The other is used mainly for the outputs of my Samsung TV, sometimes for the headphone output of my Mega Drive.

What would be the best sensitivity settings to use?

I currently have them set to 100mv but would 300mv be better?

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at the circuit for interest and it seems there are comprehensive attenuaters catering for a wide range of levels.

If set to the 100mv setting, then depending on the source there is a risk of clipping the audio signal. That is something you don't want. Although it won't damage the electronics it is unpleasant to hear and can run the risk of damaging speakers.

You will know what is right by the "feel" of the volume control and for modern equipment with its much higher output levels than the old "din" standards you may want to use the lower sensitivity such as the 3v setting.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

I've been using 100mv for a while but rarely use it.

I need to set the Quad 44 to volume 15 out of 22 for it to match the 3 other speakers powered by the Denon 3801. I haven’t noticed any clipping.

I'll do some experimenting with settings, I'll try the 3v setting and see if its too quiet and adjust accordingly.

The CD input uses 300mv, that's where I got that setting idea from but I think it uses high resistance, not sure what the tape input resistance is.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just answered the question!

I set is to 3v. WAY too quite!

Set to 300mv, still too quite, at the normal volume 15 the other 3 speakers where much louder.

Set back to 100mv, the lowest setting, volume 15 spot on.

TRENDING THREADS