qed xt5 power cable

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188516

qed finally release a power cable. under the features section on the product page they give the explanation to the question "how can power cables make a difference". qed attempt to answer the age old question of how the final metre or so of mains cable can make a difference to the sound of hifi equipment...

Reactions: eazyryder
qed finally release a power cable. under the features section on the product page they give the explanation to the question "how can power cables make a difference". qed attempt to answer the age old question of how the final metre or so of mains cable can make a difference to the sound of hifi equipment...
Do I need to read it?

Reactions: shadders
Well at least it’s an explanation, although personally I’m not exactly persuaded by them implying some Hifi is connected with lamp flex. Most use 13 amp kettle leads or similar. Anyway, the ferrite coated layer seems a sensible way to limit RFI/EMI and they don’t appear to be majoring on boutique looks.
If there’s any brand I broadly believe in, QED is well up there.

I believe the RF/EMI response is the norm and people will believe it is running rifle in their household.
They also believe all cables are potentially aerials.
What a power cable, aerial or not, is likely to inject into a system that is likely to affect what comes out of the speakers is beyond me.
Does it matter if they are supported well clear of the floor?? :)

shadders

Hi,
The cable will work in that the ferrite injected inner jacket will reduce mains borne RFI. The power supply etc., if adequately designed should be able to deal with the RFI if it is present.

If you have power line adapters, then try your system without them being implemented and see if you can hear the difference.

Any RFI outside the mains, then this cable will have no effect at all.

These products play on the insecurity of the person and introduce uncertainty. The only way to actually know if they make a difference is to use a spectrum analyser on your system to see the effects of using the cable.

Regards,
Shadders.

D

Deleted member 188516

That cable is £150!!!?!?!?
What joker is going to buy that? Seriously, there's a market for it?!
The world has gone potty.

about the tenth time i have posted this but...

about the tenth time i have posted this but...
That’s why I’m checking my Premium Bond!!

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
After trying the QED XT5 at home for over a weeks use. I didnt expect much of a change in a mains cable, subtle at best really.
But the XT5 did make quite a substantial difference.

Treble was boosted and harsh at certain moments
Mids where lifted a little but less fleshed out. Bass and lower notes had lost impact and presence.
The overall sound was leaner and unpleasant.

Everything sounded unbalanced and artificially exaggerated in the highs and mids whilst sacrificing fullness and bottom end energy.

I was amazed that a mains cable plugged into my Naim Nait XS2 could change the balance of sound so much in my system.
Just not in any good way at all.

Last edited:
I was amazed that a mains cable plugged into my Naim Nait XS2 could change the balance of sound so much in my system.
I would be surprised too, though I have got the impression that Naim are probably best used with their original kettle lead or the new (now standard?) Naim Lite mains cable that I think retails for about £95.

Somebody may be along to say you needed to run it in, but it reads as though you did use it for at least a week. And it’s only wire, for heavens sake!

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I would be surprised too, though I have got the impression that Naim are probably best used with their original kettle lead or the new (now standard?) Naim Lite mains cable that I think retails for about £95.

Somebody may be along to say you needed to run it in, but it reads as though you did use it for at least a week. And it’s only wire, for heavens sake!
I have demoed the Naim Lite cable and it didnt make much if any difference from the Naim stock cable.
Not really ready to spend around £550 for the Naim Power-Line.

The QED XT5 was well run in as it was connected to my Nait XS2 which remained powered on even when not in the extensive use I gave it.

I am currently using a mains cable kit purchased very cheaply from MCRU, using a heavy LAPP Oflex Mains Cable.
So far so good.
From the Stock Naim cable, I am getting better definition to bottom end and a cleaner focus on instruments within the soundstage

Last edited:

abacus

After trying the QED XT5 at home for over a weeks use. I didnt expect much of a change in a mains cable, subtle at best really.
But the XT5 did make quite a substantial difference.

Treble was boosted and harsh at certain moments
Mids where lifted a little but less fleshed out. Bass and lower notes had lost impact and presence.
The overall sound was leaner and unpleasant.

Everything sounded unbalanced and artificially exaggerated in the highs and mids whilst sacrificing fullness and bottom end energy.

Just not in any good way at all.

You did of course do a level matched double blind test before purchasing.

Bill

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
You did of course do a level matched double blind test before purchasing.

Bill
Gray beat me to it, but April fool’s Day is tomorrow, which is when sales of magic cables (Usually made in the Quantum Realm) go through the roof.

Bill
Why dont you give the QED XT5 a try yourself before you cast judgement on other peoples comments.
And if you cant hear a difference between the XT5 and the in box stock cable, maybe Hi Fi isnt for you.

Last edited:
I am currently using a mains cable kit purchased very cheaply from MCRU, using a heavy LAPP Oflex Mains Cable.
So far so good.
Ah, that’s one I’ve used too. It’s on my Oppo BDP-95 disc player. I recall I bought two kits, and the second is still in the cupboard. Quite a struggle to fit the oversized wire into the plugs, and scarily both Live and Neutral were black rather than colour coded.

Last edited:

abacus

I have demoed the Naim Lite cable and it didnt make much if any difference from the Naim stock cable.
Not really ready to spend around £550 for the Naim Power-Line.

The QED XT5 was well run in as it was connected to my Nait XS2 which remained powered on even when not in the extensive use I gave it.

So far so good.
From the Stock Naim cable, I am getting better definition to bottom end and a cleaner focus on instruments within the soundstage

It’s used in industrial applications where flex needs to be run that may get damaged, (The braided shield is used solely for impact protection) it does not have any special properties so if you hear a difference you are kidding yourself.

The cable and plugs shown in the kit can be picked up cheaply from any electrical wholesaler, so don’t buy from any cowboy Hi-Fi cable manufacture/dealer. (This basically covers all of them)

Bill

Friesiansam

scarily both Live and Neutral were black rather than colour coded.
Makes you wonder what standard that adheres to.
Shocking.....potentially lethally so to someone.
Another reason not to fart about changing mains cables. Selling such mains cables that don't meet CE or British standards, should be illegal.

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
It’s used in industrial applications where flex needs to be run that may get damaged, (The braided shield is used solely for impact protection) it does not have any special properties so if you hear a difference you are kidding yourself.

The cable and plugs shown in the kit can be picked up cheaply from any electrical wholesaler, so don’t buy from any cowboy Hi-Fi cable manufacture/dealer. (This basically covers all of them)

Bill
I am fully aware of the details and specification of the Lapp Cable I am using in my system.
ÖLFLEX® CLASSIC 110 CY (Screened PVC control cable with transparent outer sheath)
Product features-
Flame-retardant according IEC 60332-1-2
Good chemical resistance, see catalogue appendix T1
High degree of screening
In EMC-sensitive environments (electromagnetic compatibility)

When you mention "The braided shield is used solely for impact protection" you must surely mean the Oflex Classic 110 SY?
I am not kidding myself at all.

You obviously have a great resentment and objection to any effect or improvement regarding different mains cable in a particular Hi Fi system.
Or anyone elses opinion on the matter.

And you object to ALL well respected Hi Fi cable manufactures?
Such as Chord Co. QED, Audioquest, Atlas, Van Den Hul ect.
They are all cowboys?

So what cables do you use in your Hi Fi system? All Stock?
It must sound great??

Last edited:

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I wondered if that’s why it was sold as a kit, not assembled. The only pic I’ve got doesn’t actually show the wires.
You can also buy the cable ready assembled by McRU.
You buy the D.I.Y kit cheaper and only if you have the common sense and knowledge to be able to assemble it.
It does come with assembly advise.
I found it as simple as rewiring a plug.

D

Deleted member 108165

I am fully aware of the details and specification of the Lapp Cable .
I am not kidding myself at all.
You obviously have a great resentment and objection to any effect or improvement regarding different mains cable in a particular Hi Fi system.
Or anyone elses opinion on the matter.

And you object to ALL well respected Hi Fi cable manufactures?
Such as Chord Co. QED, Audioquest, Atlas, Van Den Hul ect.
They are all cowboys?

So what cables do you use in your Hi Fi system? All Stock?
It must sound great??
You are an established member here so you should know by now that any cable thread will be emotive due to the subject matter. It will always split into two camps, the believers, and the disbelievers.

Personally, I am in the disbeliever placebo camp, therefore I am with Bill on this one. To put this into perspective I have heard more differences dependent on my mood, or the weather, than I have ever heard with any different cable.

However, if it sounds good/different to you then great as that is all that really matters at the end of day, it's you money so your choice. Just don't try to sell it to a disbeliever :)

Last edited by a moderator:

eazyryder

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
You are an established member here so you should know by now that any cable thread will be emotive due to the subject matter. It will always split into two camps, the believers, and the disbelievers.

Personally, I am in the disbeliever placebo camp, therefore I am with Bill on this one.

However, if it sounds good to you then great as that is all that really matters at the end of day, it's you money so your choice. Just don't try to sell it to a disbeliever :)
My original post was just my comments and review on a recently home demoed QED XT5 mains cable.
I didnt actually like the cable and returned it.
I was trying to be helpfull and informative to any other forum members interested in a purchase of the cable.

I am not trying to push my opinion on anyone.
I didnt expect the non believer trolling comments and replies and to have to defend myself for posting an honest review.
Isnt that what this forum is for?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts