QED Signature HDMI or Chord Company Active HDMI?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Forgive my sloth. Having reread the original comment, carefully examining the punctuation in addition to the facial character, I can confirm that it is most likely intended to be a joke. However, I am still bewildered by the subsequent numerical additions. My initial thought was that the numbers denoted the additional humour that occurs each time a joke is repeated. But my preferred theory is that the numbers are an attempt to blag guestlist places for a forum party, at which the joke might be repeated a fourth, or even fifth time...

idc

JohnnyV111:Forgive my sloth. Having reread the original comment, carefully examining the punctuation in addition to the facial character, I can confirm that it is most likely intended to be a joke. However, I am still bewildered by the subsequent numerical additions. My initial thought was that the numbers denoted the additional humour that occurs each time a joke is repeated. But my preferred theory is that the numbers are an attempt to blag guestlist places for a forum party, at which the joke might be repeated a fourth, or even fifth time...

+ 1

michael hoy

JohnnyV111:Forgive my sloth. Having reread the original comment, carefully examining the punctuation in addition to the facial character, I can confirm that it is most likely intended to be a joke. However, I am still bewildered by the subsequent numerical additions. My initial thought was that the numbers denoted the additional humour that occurs each time a joke is repeated. But my preferred theory is that the numbers are an attempt to blag guestlist places for a forum party, at which the joke might be repeated a fourth, or even fifth time...

Sorry Johnny,

Yes it was tongue in cheek, bu t these cable posts soon become misserable and dark places to be.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy:

Sorry Johnny,

Yes it was tongue in cheek, but these cable posts soon become misserable and dark places to be.

Could not of put it any better my self.
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

The OP is looks to be choosing 2 cables = 1 metre in length.

At 1 metre there will be absolutely no problems of snow,flashes or lines - this usually only becomes a problem between 10-15metres. The digital signal will either work or not.

To the OP - For 1 metre buy your self a well built cable but not an expensive one. £5-10 max

Other poster are correct - there is no difference between a well built £5 cable to a £500 cable.

Regards

Mark

A

Anonymous

In the world of A/V £40 is nothing if it's your hobby/passion etc. etc. etc. So go buy a £40 HDMI lead if there is a difference you can have peace of mind knowing you've covered all base's by getting the much reduced quality cable. Enjoy!

A

Anonymous

jasonh:

In the world of A/V £40 is nothing if it's your hobby/passion etc. etc. etc.

So for, say, three cables that would be £120, around £90 more than you need to spend, better spend £90 more on a TV, AMP or BD player.

As long as the cable construction is good quality and its of the right standard (V1.3 etc) there is no advantage in paying a fortune on HDMI cables even if your system is ten of thousands in value.

Of course aethetics might be another reason, if you want the cable to look good then that's another matter though not for performance.

A

Anonymous

Aesthetics no not with cables etc...shielding.construction,materials used possibly,lets face it if your spending thousands of pounds on a system which most of us have here,i'd go with the slightly more expensive cables,were talking £40 per cable instead of £100 which the said cables normally retail at,here's a hypothetical scenario for you 'child1962' i put 2 cables on the table...you can take only 1 of these cables,the £100 cable or the £5 cable....which do you take?

Unless each of us could do a simultaneous like-fo-like test on the systems we own will we ever know.... i myself have puchased Chord,QED and That cable HDMI leads and use the more expensive leads with the more expensive components (£100 -£5) etc just for peace of mind and hope that magazine reviews and the company specs etc are true. We are talking about spending £100 or so on cables worth £300 for 3 of them instead of £15-20, maybe your right 'Child1962' but putting it into some sort of logical context i'll stick with the slightly more expensive cable.

A

Anonymous

Either will be fine. I've had both in my system and couldn't distinguish much difference. I've settled with the Chord Active in the end throughout the whole system.

You'll see more of a difference to your sound/picture quality if you replace your kettle power cables with Wireworld ones and feed them through an Isotek. Big improvement to be gained!

A

Anonymous

Just like many said before..once the shielding, connectors and rigidity is at reasonable level, ALL the 1.3b and upper HDMI cables will perform the same..I had Chords, QEDs, Profigolds, Belkins...recently bought NEET cables on eBay from their own store for 13 GBP apiece and they work spectacular..

just check the reviews of actual users on Amazon or anywhere..

A

Anonymous

Just like to say that the CHORD ACTIVE hdmi cable is the best hdmi cable i have ever used. I used to use QED cable's but then i thought i'll try the CHORD ACTIVE and i am very glad that i did. PS i used to have the QED SIGNITURE hdmi cable before but i sold it once i fell in love with the CHORD ACTIVE. Trust me it's the best of the best you will definatly not be dissapointed i know i wasn't and i paid £115 for a 1.5 meter length so for £40 you are getting a genuine bargain. FORGET QED AND GO FOR THE CHORD ACTIVE.

JohnnyV111

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Do Chord make a high-end QWERTY to PC cable? There seems to be an endemic problem whereby RFI, jitter and, like you know all that stuff, cause slight imperfections to letters and characters...

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Neither . I have the original Chord Active Silver plus 1.3b. I have just bought from Lidl their Silver Crest High Speed HDMI cable v 1.4 for only £4.99 (unfortunately sold out) this cheap well made cable is vastly superior to the Chord for both Audio & Video

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
mark1080p:
The OP is looks to be choosing 2 cables = 1 metre in length.

At 1 metre there will be absolutely no problems of snow,flashes or lines - this usually only becomes a problem between 10-15metres. The digital signal will either work or not.

To the OP - For 1 metre buy your self a well built cable but not an expensive one. £5-10 max

Other poster are correct - there is no difference between a well built £5 cable to a £500 cable.

Regards

Mark

Have people who are categorically stating that more expensive cables don't make a difference, actually done any real testing for themselves? If so, what sort of kit have they tested on? Have they tried £500 cables? Or even £100 ones for that matter? Are these people speaking from experience, or are they justifying their own budget purchases?

I've seen sparklies on short HDMI's.

until there is irrefutable evidence either way, no one can say all HDMI's are the same.

A

Anonymous

you've got that back to front david, until someone proves they differ
(which no one has) then no one can claim they're not all the same
emotion-15.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jasonh:
In the world of A/V £40 is nothing if it's your hobby/passion etc. etc. etc. So go buy a £40 HDMI lead if there is a difference you can have peace of mind knowing you've covered all base's by getting the much reduced quality cable. Enjoy!

I fully agree here. I know some will be saying what I'm saying what I'm saying because I'm a retailer, but at the end of the day, some of us who've spent rather a lot of money, as well as time, building up our systems, feel very secure in the fact that we have spent a decent sum on the bits and bobs that connect them, whether they make a difference or not. Some of us that have gone for something more exotic, can relax to our systems, knowing in our heads that everything's fine.

Is there anything wrong in that? I myself changed my Chord Lo Pro HDMI cables to Active ones. Did I compare them? No. Did I see or hear any differences? I don't know, and I don't care. I just wanted to know in my mind that the cables connecting my stuff together are doing their job and not have to worry about anything. Have I wasted my money? Maybe, but if I have, shoot me.

I'm not here to tell people that there definitely is a difference - that's up to them to decide either way - I just hope people have come to this conclusion of their own accord rather than believing people who are just repeating what they've read on a forum and decided that's good enough for them.

We all have a choice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:you've got that back to front david, until someone proves they differ
emotion-15.gif

Well I suppose it's seen differently depending which side of the fence people are on doesn't it.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:maxflinn:you've got that back to front david, until someone proves they differ
emotion-15.gif

Well I suppose it's seen differently depending which side of the fence people are on doesn't it.yes, i personally sit on the same side as science, not the side where profit driven deception that exploits ignorance sits...
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I don't really care which side an individual sits on. Like I said, as long as they've reached their conclusion by their own findings, that's fine.

'Profit driven deception'? Wow, you could apply that statement to virtually everything you can buy in any store in one way or another. Oh, and my conscience is clean, I don't force cables on anybody. If they ask my opinion, I'll give my opinion based on what I've heard or seen, not someone who spouts numbers for a living.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Personally, I don't really care which side an individual sits on. Like I said, as long as they've reached their conclusion by their own findings, that's fine.

'Profit driven deception'? Wow, you could apply that statement to virtually everything you can buy in any store in one way or another. Oh, and my conscience is clean, I don't force cables on anybody. If they ask my opinion, I'll give my opinion based on what I've heard or seen, not someone who spouts numbers for a living.

fair enough, but the old "if you can see/hear a difference then it's money well spent" line just doesn't wash imo, there can be no differences between working hdmi cables, as science proves, the line should be "if you imagine you see/hear a difference and you want to waste your money then that's fine". somehow i don't think that line, while true, will help to keep the cable money machine moving...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you didn't read my post properly.....

Science has proved nothing as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a believer in any tests I've not witnessed - I don't care who did the test. Just because an 'experiment' took place, and the findings published, does that mean they're the truth? Next you'll be saying that politicians don't take bungs, football teams don't throw matches, and boxers don't 'go down' to throw a fight. There's corruption everywhere you turn, so I believe none of it.

If I've been part of the test, and I can inspect the gear that's being used and there's nothing dodgy looking, then I'll take notice.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Maybe you didn't read my post properly.....

Science has proved nothing as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a believer in any tests I've not witnessed - I don't care who did the test. Just because an 'experiment' took place, and the findings published, does that mean they're the truth? Next you'll be saying that politicians don't take bungs, football teams don't throw matches, and boxers don't 'go down' to throw a fight. There's corruption everywhere you turn, so I believe none of it.

If I've been part of the test, and I can inspect the gear that's being used and there's nothing dodgy looking, then I'll take notice.

i'm not arguing with you, i'm just stating how i see it, all the ambiguity that surrounds hdmi cables leads many people to "play it safe" and buy these £50 chord and qed cables, but their worth has not been proven scientifically, anywhere, by anybody. don't you think that says something?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure if cables are such a huge lie as some claim there'll be investigations and court cases. Have there been any? Excluding RA of course. Don't you think that says something?

Personally, i've seen differences in HDMI's. I'm not saying all HDMI's are different, but I've seen differences. I suppose that puts me firmly in the believers section. Having said that, you don't see me ramming it down people's throats or shouting it from the rooftops. It's a subject I feel people should make their own mind up about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts