QED Revelation vs Chord Carnival Silverscreen

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well for those that are interested I got my Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable back yesterday so I've been listening to my system using both cables and the same CD's (Metallica - Death Magentic, Massive Attack - Heligoland, Groove Armada - Black Light and Fischerspooner - Entertainment) The QED speaker cable is brilliant, I cant deny that BUT it was slightly aggressive at the top end and sometimes vocals were a little tinny (but this could just be me hearing and my tastes in music) Anyways I demo'd the Chord cable as well with the same CD's/tracks and for me the Chord has won BUT only just... They're both about the same for good, solid, deep and punchy bass and the midrange is sweet and detailed. The Chord has calmed the top end down and for me that ticks a box that hadnt been ticked fully by the QED I really do think that the Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable is that good and it REALLY does compete against more expensive rivals and wins for me [:)]

d_a_n1979:Well for those that are interested I got my Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable back yesterday so I've been listening to my system using both cables and the same CD's (Metallica - Death Magentic, Massive Attack - Heligoland, Groove Armada - Black Light and Fischerspooner - Entertainment) The QED speaker cable is brilliant, I cant deny that BUT it was slightly aggressive at the top end and sometimes vocals were a little tinny (but this could just be me hearing and my tastes in music) Anyways I demo'd the Chord cable as well with the same CD's/tracks and for me the Chord has won BUT only just... They're both about the same for good, solid, deep and punchy bass and the midrange is sweet and detailed. The Chord has calmed the top end down and for me that ticks a box that hadnt been ticked fully by the QED I really do think that the Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable is that good and it REALLY does compete against more expensive rivals and wins for me
emotion-1.gif

I love Chord cables.

I've not heard QED stuff, but read a lot of threads on this forum which said the QEDs tend to deprive a system of depth...

matthewpiano

Opposite for me. I've got QED Evolution XT on my system at present and a set of Chord Rumour 2 put away in the cupboard. I've tried both in my present system and the QED stands head and shoulders above the Chord, despite the big difference in cost. For me the Chord, although superb in some ways, seems to strangle the life out of the music whereas the QED simply seems to allow the abilities of the A400 to shine through.

The Chord is going to get used on a second system with the little Roths where it seems to work much better.

A

Anonymous

well you sure picked a good pair of speakers dan
emotion-1.gif
, ill trust your judgement on cables too , picking up my chord silverscreen and jumpers at the weekend
emotion-11.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Blackdawn:Good review. Have you tried any other Chord cable to compare with your system? Likely to be any difference?

I may have a nosey at the Rumour 4 and the Oddyssey 4 as well (2-4 set-up) and will see how that goes. If I go down that route it then means I will no longer need the speaker jumper cables I've got but I'm going to give the Silverscreen a good innings first
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

13 years down the line with the Audioquest Type IV single strand copper core cable here. No plans to change it. Wonderful for the money.

A

Anonymous

I had the silverscreen for a couple of years and it did me proud, very good budget cable, I was interested in what the differences other chord cables would give me, so i borrowed some rumour & odyssey cables from my local store, each different cable added a little something to the mix, but for me the odyssey won hands down, and straight away the silverscreen was on ebay. the other good thing about odyssey is that its not as chunky as the silverscreen which makes it easier to install/hide.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I was using QED XT Silver Anniversary bi-wire quite happily from my Audiolab 8000S until it was suggested I try Odyssey. The Odyssey has stayed the course, adding extra dimension. With the advent of the Marantz amp, I have dropped to single wire without obvious detriment to the sound. However, I would be very interested to see any report of the 2-4 configuration.

A word of warning: the Odyssey can come in two forms; jacketed and unjacketed. Having bought mine off Fleabay, I have one equal bi-wire run of each. Without the protective jacket, the Odyssey looks very unimpressive but is ideal for running under carpets and around corners, etc. The protective jacket adds bulk and reduces flexibility.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:13 years down the line with the Audioquest Type IV single strand copper core cable here. No plans to change it. Wonderful for the money.

Each to their own...

You never know though that a change in cable could make your system better! Sometimes its just worth the demo/risk/chance
emotion-5.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
THESTIG08:

I had the silverscreen for a couple of years and it did me proud, very good budget cable, I was interested in what the differences other chord cables would give me, so i borrowed some rumour & odyssey cables from my local store, each different cable added a little something to the mix, but for me the odyssey won hands down, and straight away the silverscreen was on ebay. the other good thing about odyssey is that its not as chunky as the silverscreen which makes it easier to install/hide.

Would have to agreed with this.........

Had, and loved, the Chord Silverscreen cable biamping my QA 1030i's for a year or so, but the upgrade to the Odyssey (again biamped) was well worth every penny!!

Much more clarity and bite to the sound.......

T

the record spot

d_a_n1979:the record spot:13 years down the line with the Audioquest Type IV single strand copper core cable here. No plans to change it. Wonderful for the money.

Each to their own...

You never know though that a change in cable could make your system better! Sometimes its just worth the demo/risk/chance
emotion-5.gif

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

What would improve? It's not deeper bass I want, it's not clearer treble, it's not a fuller midrange. What am I left with? Money spent needlessly on something that requires no attention. It's better control of the speaker I'm looking for. Hence the search for the amplifier - and not a hunt for "Louis Friend"!

T

the record spot

dan - as near as without big changes that i'm unsure would reap huge benefits in line with the expense. Active speakers would likely be my next port of call but that will be some time away. Years in fact. My set -up hasn't changed too much over the years and this is unlikely to be an approach I would choose to alter.

Matt - the 717 is being worked on as we speak. Final checks on the thing and hopefully pick-up on Saturday. If that fails I've a few models in mind to replace it with, though in truth the 217 is doing a great job right now. Makes for such a good partner with the Missions. The Audiolab 8000S is one for instance.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to go back on topic
emotion-5.gif
, but re: QED cables: I've been trying different of their speaker cables, the last one being Silver Anniversary, and found them sterile sounding. Like they took the joy out of the music. Sorry I can't be more precise in my description, but I went back to a thick copper cable (In-akustik) and settled on that as being more involving overall. Can't comment on the Chord though.

Just my thoughts, Jack

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree that QED can sometimes take the shine of the system but I wouldnt say its sterile

It does all depend on your system and what music you listen to though IMO

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:It does all depend on your system and what music you listen to though IMO

That's true as always, Dan. I did try QED with different combinations of 4 amps, 3 tt's, 2 cdp's and a wide range of music to the same effect though, so I thought it was worth mentioning. But then again: 'trust your own ears' is the best answer to many a question posted here.
emotion-1.gif

matthewpiano

Ha ha!!

With the more recent changes in electronics I'm now finding the Chord Crimson/Rumour 2 combination far better than the Atlas Equator II/QED Evolution XT. Just goes to show it is all about how a cable works with particular equipment. Its all down to synergy, AGAIN.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I agree MP

The QED is now back in my system as when moving back to the Chord Carnival Silverscreen I found that it lacked detail whereas the QED pulled that out...

Now the QED has 'burnt in' its a super cable with deep, taut bass and smooth, detailed treble. Not a sign of any harshness in the highs at all which is great
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:Dan.

For my setup and as an upgrade, what cable is best Odyss or Revel. ? - pls advise.

IMO with you having a C/A amp and the RS6's which can have a bright treble at times; I'd go for the Chord Oddyssey 2 speaker cable.

If you can get home demo's for both then go for it but I feel that the Chord would calm down the slight forwardness the C/A amp and RS6 speakers have at times

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive been trying different cables for years now.

Interconnects and speaker cables can definitely sound different. But thats the keyword 'different'

(mains cables also make a difference, but thats a completely different subject)

Anything that changes the sound (be it between the cd and amp or amp and speakers) is 'colouring' the sound

Ive recently changed my interconencts from my cd and amp and my pre and power amps to 'van damme' with 'neutrik' connectors. Reason being they use them in studios worldwide and theyre as close to 'transparent' as you can get

So although these cables are very cheap (I admit you can buy cheaper), theyre the best sounding interconnects ive ever tried. Doesnt colour the sound in any way. Whats heard is just beautiful.

Having been a cable believer for so long ive finally come to the conclusion that the sceptics are at least part right. So long as a cables made as it should be, then there shouldnt be any differences between them.

All these other cables (Chord, VDH, Nordost etc), unless theyre making them transparent (Most if not all DONT), then all theyre doing is changing how it 'should' sound

If your system requires a change of frequencies, then your hardware is wrong (or your mains is 'dirty'). Changing cables is just delaying the inevitable change in components

TRENDING THREADS