QED Revelation cable mis-match?

leckagh

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Recently upgraded my system (Cyrus 6SE, Cyrus Two [refurbished by Cyrus], Wharfedale Diamond 9.1).

As part of my upgrading I bought QED Revelation cable. It sounded dreadful in comparison to my old Silver Anniversary. No soundstage depth at all, a woolly and overblown bass, and the no midrange definition

Checked and rechecked speaker phasing, connections, etc, but couldn’t get it to sound right

Finally, I ‘downgraded’ to QED Silver Anniversary XT. The result was amazing, with all the above problems corrected ‘at a stroke’

The problem is I don’t understand WHY any of this should have happened in the first place. Any clues?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It could be that the cable was new and needed to be run in before you'd notice the difference in soundstage.

Have you considered the Chord Carnival Silverscreen as maybe a replacement.

In my partners Cyrus system we had the QED XT speaker cable and it was good but a little bright. Changed over to the Chord cable and it sounded superb with much better clarity and depth in the bass as well as smoother midrange and more detailed treble but no harshness

A

Anonymous

Definately needs a few hours on it. I've had cables that were dreadful when brand new and four weeks later, WOW! I think run in affects some cables more than others, but I've never owned QED Revelation. I've got a feeling you'll be a run in believer (or should I say experiencer!) before too long...

A

Anonymous

Not sure about Chord Silverscreen being much better than XT. I know people rave about the Chord cable but I've had both running next to each other on my system, and while I agree the Silverscreen just nicks it, there was very little in it. And remember the Silverscreen is a chunky cable.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
leckagh:Recently upgraded my system (Cyrus 6SE, Cyrus Two [refurbished by Cyrus], Wharfedale Diamond 9.1).

As part of my upgrading I bought QED Revelation cable. It sounded dreadful in comparison to my old Silver Anniversary. No soundstage depth at all, a woolly and overblown bass, and the no midrange definition

Checked and rechecked speaker phasing, connections, etc, but couldn't get it to sound right

Finally, I 'downgraded' to QED Silver Anniversary XT. The result was amazing, with all the above problems corrected 'at a stroke'

The problem is I don't understand WHY any of this should have happened in the first place. Any clues?
My experience with the revelation was literally a 'revelation'. The bass was strong, full and not at all woolly or overblown. I did find the cable to be a little bright at start but I guess that was down to my speakers tweeters (a little bright when pushed hard)..I think you could have maybe given it a little time before deciding to get rid :)

A

Anonymous

I had the revelation on my bedroom set up, as shown in my sig, and it was fantastic. It needs time to bed in and will sound much better than the lesser cable. The only reason that I changed was that I got 20 metres of chord odyssey off ebay for £66 and needed 5m runs for the new room that I am in.

Run music through your system at a low level when you are out at work etc, and the cable will bed in.

Phil

leckagh

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

However, I allowed the Revelation to burn in for several weeks. It never sounded right from the word go. The Silver Anniversary XT, however, sounded 100% better instantly - and has just got better as time's gone by.

I've been messing around with hi-fi for 40 years and never come across anything like it.

I'm not keen to change the cable again. I'm happy with the sound now, so I'll leave well enough alone. (At least for the time being)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts