QED QUNEX HDMI-P 1m £29.99

A

Anonymous

Thats a cracker! I got mine for 35 and i thought that was sweet.

Gazuk

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Great price for a great cable!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

DAMMIT! NOT ANYMORE, I JUST CHECKED AND IT BACK UP TO 44.99. Looks like they wised up. :(

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, I will check it out. I don't need a Hdmi cable just yet as I have one already, But I want to get a Onkyo Reciever soon so i will need an extra one to go to the TV from this.
Oh while you are here, ...Do you think that the upscaling chip in the Onkyo 605 will be better than my Toshiba hd-xe1?otherwise I will just go straight from the hd player to the tv.
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Cheers Prof, I didn't know that. So you mean if the signal was 576i it would make it 576p and not be able to convert to ie.720p?
Well that's put a spanner in the works. Looks like I will be getting the 606 then unless there are other's out there for a similar price which i havent seen.
So to re-answer my question -'would the 606 be better at upscaling my dvd's than my tosh hd-xe1 any ideas?
Thanks

A

Anonymous

Yeh, thats a fair point Clare, I was probably jumping the gun as my tv is a 42px70 so isn't 1080 pixels meaning I won't really notice the difference right?
Also, is it true what the Professor said about the upscaling? (a couple of replies up).
Thanks Again!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the 605 will de-interlace but not upscale, but get the 606 and it'll upscale everything (including an external TV source, such as Sky or Virgin etc) to 720p (or 1080i, but I'd go with the former), which should suit your set very nicely indeed.

You can then play around with the settings on your Toshiba to decide whether you let it upscale (and let the Onkyo just do pass-through) or let the Onkyo handle it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Again Clare, I was really tempted to pip for the 605 but I also need my TVionics freeview to be upscaled plus a PS2 which I still have.
I was thinking of running them both by scart via a splitter into a 'scart to component converter' which would then go into the back of the 606 and upscale the image for me. And POW! 720p telly and games correct?
Cheers Paul

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried it just with the TV scaling? If it's just Freeview and PS2 you wish to scale, it may well be better this way.

You're never going to get pristine results, especially from the Freeview box, so letting the TV scale will certainly be easier. It may also actually be better (PQ wise) than using converter cables, scaling in the amp, then possibly in the TV too.

I learned this through painful experience, and I have a bag full of excess cables at the end of it
emotion-1.gif
I obsessed about the best way to connect up my DVD recorder and Wii, and found that connecting them directly to the TV with good old scarts was pretty much good as scaling them elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

You have to remember that a big tv has to upscale to fit the picture in to its frame! Amps that upscale are a bit of a con. Often, they replicate exactly what your telly is doing every day. Go for the connectivity/sound and forget the scaling. Its cheap rubbish in most amps anyway and really not a deciding factor in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Cheers to you both. Yeh it does get a bit like that doesn't it, cos you hear of all these ways you can better the pic and it end up one hell of a journey and I too have a few cables lying around lol.
Well my reciever is sold anyway so I will need a new one and since the Onk 606 is the best at the price I might as well pip for this and just try out some of the options I was talking about.
Later People have a good one.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="SAP7"]You have to remember that a big tv has to upscale to fit the picture in to its frame! Amps that upscale are a bit of a con. Often, they replicate exactly what your telly is doing every day. Go for the connectivity/sound and forget the scaling. Its cheap rubbish in most amps anyway and really not a deciding factor in my opinion.[/quote]

I used to be that cynical, thinking the upscaling in my £3500 Full HD projector couldn't be beaten. Then I borrowed the Onkyo 905 that had been in for review. The upscaling is awesome - the difference it makes to SD TV (via Sky) in particular was enough to make me switch receivers from my beloved Yamaha DSP-Z9.

OK, so if you've a smaller TV (up to 42in), it may be a different case, but for 50in+ display owners, I strongly suggest an audition of any upscaling receiver.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]£3500 Full HD projector... SD TV (via Sky)...[/quote]

emotion-3.gif
Seriously hope you've rectified that with SkyHD now !
emotion-1.gif

OK, so if you've a smaller TV (up to 42in), it may be a different case, but for 50in+ display owners, I strongly suggest an audition of any upscaling receiver.

I've 55" of RP goodness myself, and the TV scales as well as pretty much anything else I've tried. Maybe I'm a bit behind the market though, 'twas last years crop of upscaling products I tried. But the TV seems to scale as well as even the much-touted PS3.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I have Sky HD. But I set it to output on Auto, so the Onkyo's doing all the upscaling - the result is better-looking telly, whether watching native HD shows or not. You really notice the difference on SD shows like Doctor Who and Ashes and Ashes, for example. Still not much it can do with ITV's football coverage, though!

A

Anonymous

I've tried doing that but found 720p output through my Denon looks about the best for me.
Done it with curtains closed, opened, nightime.
Got same lead Sky to Denon and the QED silver ref into 428xd

A

Anonymous

"Ashes and Ashes"? is that the new comedy about the crazy lives of workers at a crematorium?....Oooooh, you meant "Ashes to Ashes"! Sorry, my bad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts