Q : Jamo C80 vs new KEF Q speaker set in 5.0

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First of all I want to say hello to all of you guys because I`m brand new meat on forum :)

Well, thing is that I want to buy new speaker system and I need your advice. There are two competitors.

1st set :

Jamo C 809 + C 80SUR + C 80CEN

2nd set :

KEF Q900 + Q800ds + Q600c

A/V receiver is Onkyo TX-NR808.

Like you see its system without subwoofer because I think that this type of system can work well also without it. And of course price is much lower. So I want to hear from you what you think about it and which system is better for music, which for cinema experiance or both. Haven`t heard them yet thats why I need your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that there's not a great deal of Jamo dealers around, so whether you'll come across anyone who's heard a scarce package AND a relatively new package on the market is going to be slim to say the least
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Well ok with new package but Jamos are from 2007. so I tought maybe somone can say a word how it sound and is it worth of money? I saw reviews for Jamos package but still lack of user opinions.

KEF Q900 are brand new but maybe someone had luck to heard them live :)

Damn didnt know that this will be tough to find answer on Jamos here :p

Febrero:
First of all I want to say hello to all of you guys because I`m brand new meat on forum :)

Well, thing is that I want to buy new speaker system and I need your advice. There are two competitors.

1st set :

Jamo C 809 + C 80SUR + C 80CEN

2nd set :

KEF Q900 + Q800ds + Q600c

A/V receiver is Onkyo TX-NR808.

Like you see its system without subwoofer because I think that this type of system can work well also without it. And of course price is much lower. So I want to hear from you what you think about it and which system is better for music, which for cinema experiance or both. Haven`t heard them yet thats why I need your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Hi Febrero

I've not heard these Jamo speakers however as an alternative to the two sets you're already considering i'll suggest that you also look at the following

Monitor Audio

Silver RX8, RXC, RX-FX

Gold GS20, GSLCR, GSFX

Dynaudio

DM 3/7, DM Centre, or for rears the more traditional route with DM 2/6 or DM 2/7's.

The 808 amp will work well with the Monitor Audio and Dynaudio and these speakers perform superbly with either movie or music soundtracks.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Like I said, there's not really a lot if Jamo dealers around, so experience there might be a little limited. The Q900's are only just coming through from KEF for the first customers, so again, not too many people have heard these as yet. I've been listening to them this afternoon when I've gad a spare few minutes and they're stunningly detailed and open loudspeakers. One other thing I noticed too was that after playing them rather loudly, they don't sound naff when you turn them down like many speakers do. Even a Reference 3.2 owner who was browsing was seriously impressed by them!!

A

Anonymous

Thats great information what you said for KEF speakers only just need to wait someone to say something about low frequencies I mean on that 2 x 8" woofers. Found some reviews for Jamo and what I found I see that they do not need sub to have great experiance with them. However Jamos C 809 (2007) are still on price, even higher than new KEF Q900 (fall 2010). I think that these 2 packages are in same class thats why Im curious to compare them a bit. :p

Anyway thank you on answers :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though the Q floor standing speakers are sealed cabinets, the larger ones (Q700 and in particular the Q900's) do produce a fair amount of bass, so will need a little care over positioning. I've heard them in two different rooms in our store, and the bass has been quite different in both, though this is probably due to one room being substantially larger to fill. In the smaller room, they need some distance from the wall in order to breathe, but in the larger room downstairs, they can go much closer to the wall, and would probably seem a little bass light to some given their size and appearance, but they seemed very tight. I think it's really down to the room and system which will govern their bass performance.

And for your information, of the three woofers, only one is driven, the other two are ABR's, which I notice have a much stiffer roll surround than the active driver. The 8" driver belonging to the UniQ does crossover quite low, but is predominantly midrange, so technically, yes, they have two driven 8" drivers, but they're dealing with different frequencies. I'd like to hear the Q900 without the ABR's, just out of my own curiosity....maybe in large stand mount form.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I ordered Jamo 5.0 set from Denmark and now I got one more question. Its related of Popcorn Hour C-200 player. That player can read lossless file formats like flac etc. & formats like DTS HD MA n Dolby True HD so my question is can you advice me whats best option to connect PCH to Onkyo NR-808 to play those formats on Jamo C 80 set for lets say best audio quality?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts