Q Acoustics Concept 30 price cut

robdmarsh

Just wondering why this very highly regarded bookshelf speaker has come down by nearly £200 nearly everywhere? Seems particularly odd in these inflationary times. Could it be it was not selling very well at rrp?

robdmarsh

Darko's review is interesting. I think these have the kind of sound signature I would have gone for a couple of years ago but now my tastes have changed and I like a livelier sound. A lively sound that can be kept in check, mind you. I would love to hear these against the ls50 meta on the end of my Denon pma 800ne.

doifeellucky

They’ve been 20% off using a code for a few months at SSV. I went into one of their shops recently and they mentioned they’re not selling that well. Despite generally good reviews I think some potential buyers are struggling with the considerable price rise over the 20’s.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Purely looking on what you get (I have no idea how they sound);

Nice drivers, purpose made for the 30 and further up the range, a good, solid cabinet, decent crossover (for the money) plus nice finishing of the speaker

even it's RRP seems entirely reasonable.

https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/concept-30.html

I can see two problems. The brand will likely forever be associated with budget speakers. I believe they should have chosen to start another brand name altogether to distance themselves from that market.

Think Toyota/Lexus.

Another example of something similar are Boardman bikes, named after C Boardman. Halford bought the brand and it is now associated with mass market brands. They tried to make some more expensive Road bikes, undoubtedly good ones but I have never seen anyone with a £3k+ Boardman bike ... .

The other issue is related. Because of this folks are probably comparing this standmount with basic level floor standers from competitors such as Dali or MA at similar money or even QAcoustics own, cheaper products. In other words, they think they get more for their money. More is usually perceived as better when starting off in this hobby. Add a couple of good reviews from WH and presto, you have a best seller. - It is only when looking closer and seeing what has gone into a small speaker that was designed by someone that knows what they're doing ... the bell might ring.

Now, as I said, I have not heard the speakers and I do not want to take away anything from the other brands mentioned but I can see why this speaker might struggle in a show room. Enthusiasts likely shy away because of the name, starters are ... .

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears and Symples

robdmarsh

Surely QA are a well-established brand at the enthusiast level for those in the know. But it's not just them, I see the Dynaudio emit 20 can also be had for a £200 discount.

It's weird, pricing is crazy. Dali Oberon 5 came out in 2019 and were about £550. I nearly got a pair of those but I blinked and they'd gone up to £750. The standard price now seems to be £850.

Reactions: Al ears
Surely QA are a well-established brand at the enthusiast level for those in the know. But it's not just them, I see the Dynaudio emit 20 can also be had for a £200 discount.

It's weird, pricing is crazy. Dali Oberon 5 came out in 2019 and were about £550. I nearly got a pair of those but I blinked and they'd gone up to £750. The standard price now seems to be £850.
small standmount speaker prices have always been pretty volatile as more manufacturers tend to make them and are fairly swift in issuing updates

robdmarsh

Just checked, there's a bit of a pattern emerging here. The Rubicon 2 are back down to £1399 at several retailers. These are indeed strange times. Discretionary product pricing, and I'm sure we'd agree that hifi falls into that category, seems pretty volatile at the moment!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts