Q Acoustics 3050 floor standers

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
I am looking at buying a pair of the above which have good reviews.

Will my Audio Analogue Puccini power them OK? I believe it is 40 watts per channel...

N

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Q Acoustics 3050 are sensitive so are probably ok for your amp. I will be more concerned with the positioning as I understand they will up against the wall next to a chimney breast, this may cause some bass problems, so best to have a home demo if you can or return option.

You may want to consider some wall mounted speakers if space is tight.

BigH said:
The Q Acoustics 3050 are sensitive so are probably ok for your amp. I will be more concerned with the positioning as I understand they will up against the wall next to a chimney breast, this may cause some bass problems, so best to have a home demo if you can or return option.

You may want to consider some wall mounted speakers if space is tight.

+1

Or possibly something of a sealed-box design , certainly not something rear ported as these are. Audition is a must.

insider9

Are you looking at brand new speakers only? Also what's the budget?

QA of 2000 and 3000 series were really not to my taste. I was surprised how they ended up with so many awards and favourable reviews. Many people rate them though.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
one of Qacoustics quirks probably, but they will need atleast 1.5 ft behind them to stop booming ( that rear port does a lot, to get the bass out of those small drivers ). Bungs in or out :) But great speakers otherwise

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.

Back to the drawing board.

I don't want speakers on the wall and the Roksan Rok Ones I have stick out too far from the wall once they are on stands.

What can I get in a floor stander that will be suited to being against a wall - or possibly 2 or 3 inches away from the wall (max).

Not bothered whether new or used and budget around £400-£500.

Good job I am taking advice on this as I nearly ordered some Q Acoustics online a few mins back!!!

N

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

I might get away with bookshelf speakers?

Just measured up and if I could find a pair that are no more than 8 inches in depth they would not stick out too far.

Ideally 6 inches depth.

The space that I have to place the speakers without obscuring the TV etc is approx 9 inches square!!

The main issue as above is how far they will jut out from the wall - the Rok Ones are far too deep.

Budget as per previous message.

N

insider9

I'm afraid I can't think of many speakers that would work in a placement like this. And that are this small. You may be having many issues with bass that can casue more problems and sub optimal placement really makes it difficult to recommend anything.

If you asked for an affordable small floorstander I'd have no problem recommending Epos M15.2 or M15. Had a pair of the former and they were great with little power needed and from what I've read about your amp they should be a good match. Will they work in your room with placement restrictions? I don't know. I've had mine away from walls. I belive Epos need space around them like most speakers.

Samd

newlash09 said:
one of Qacoustics quirks probably, but they will need atleast 1.5 ft behind them to stop booming ( that rear port does a lot, to get the bass out of those small drivers ). Bungs in or out :) But great speakers otherwise

I have mine quite close to back wall (no bungs) and the left one is about 12" away from a side wall - no problem with booming (and there was none before purchase of my Anthem). As you say - great speakers.

insider9

If they are voice like the previous generation DC range. They should sound OK with your amp. A mate of mine uses Tannoy DC6T with Class A 25Wpc amp. It won't go super loud but works together well.

I'd only suggest getting them if you can return if you don't like them.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Only speakers that spring to mind are Neat Iotas, they are about 7 inches deep and can be near a wall or wall mounted but they are about £700 new.

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
These fit the bill size wise and great price - and great review - https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3020/review

Anyone have any experience of these?

I have arranged a listen of the Iotas next week - but really I am not sure I can afford them at £700!!!

N

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bignige said:
These fit the bill size wise and great price - and great review - https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3020/review

Anyone have any experience of these?

I have arranged a listen of the Iotas next week - but really I am not sure I can afford them at £700!!!

N

Q 3020 are about 9inches deep.

You can get cosmetic seconds for around £530. Also get a discount, you can often do a deal of around 10% off, like buying a car.

bignige

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I now have a short list of speakers that fit the spec size wise and budget - anyone have any comments/experience of any of these?

1. Monitor Audio Brinze 1

2. Monitor Audio Radius 90

4. Quad S Series 1

5. Dali Opticon 1

My amp is an Audio Analogue Puccini which is I believe 40 watts per channel.

Room size is 4.5 metres x 4 metres.

N

insider9

Best would be take your amp to Richer Sounds and give them a listen.

As you say they are well received at their price range. Many people like them a lot. I wouldn't have them if they were free. Edit: That's referring to QA 3020 not Neats.

It's really vital that you demo at least some speakers to gauge what you like. I've not heard Rok Ones so can't use them as a reference.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If buying from Richers it can be worth signing up, you may get some freebies etc. Richers have a return policy which is good if you want to exchange for some other product.

Quite a large room for such small speakers, how far away from the speakers will you be listening?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts