Q Acoustics 3020i upgrade to Monitor Audio Silver 300

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Yes definitely, if you're happy with your speakers for now, I would go for the Rega Planar 1 Plus. Also consider the regular Planar 1 + the Fono Mini A2D mk2. WHF says the only difference is that the 2 box solution is a bit fuller sounding, but the Plus is perhaps a bit more sprightly. Entirely down to taste.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
That's my new concern. I was almost certain to get the MA Silver 300 BUT I've just read that MA recommends an 80-200watts amp at 8ohms.
My CXA61 is a 60watts amp. Would this be a problem of some sort????
I started looking at the MA Silver 200 which recommends a 60-150watts.
But I guess there would be a decrease in sound quality stepping down from the 300 to the 200.

manicm

That's my new concern. I was almost certain to get the MA Silver 300 BUT I've just read that MA recommends an 80-200watts amp at 8ohms.
My CXA61 is a 60watts amp. Would this be a problem of some sort????
I started looking at the MA Silver 200 which recommends a 60-150watts.
But I guess there would be a decrease in sound quality stepping down from the 300 to the 200.

From the little I've read the 200 may be a bit lean in the bass, but I think 30cm from the wall will be fine.

On the other hand I don't think the 300 will be a problem for the CXA61, unless others can also advise here.

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Ok, tech support from Monitor Audio kindly replied to my email. They said my CXA61 may have trouble driving the Silver 300 or even the 200, for which a CX81 would be more capable. I think I should forget about floor standing speakers with my current amp. Maybe in a few years I could sell mine and buy a hundred watts amp to move into floorstanders.
Just in case someone knows, what would be the symptom if I plugged in the Silver 300s into my CXA61? Would it sound worse than my QA 3020i? What is it like when an amp can't drive properly a pair of speakers?

manicm

Arsenio, I know you prefer a floorstander, but do not underestimate the Silver 100 - either in bass or clarity. It’s definitely a step up or two from the QA 3 series, and the CXA61 should drive them easily.

You could also add a subwoofer later if you wish but I highly doubt you’ll need one. The 100s are larger than the pictures suggest.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Arsenio, I know you prefer a floorstander, but do not underestimate the Silver 100 - either in bass or clarity. It’s definitely a step up or two from the QA 3 series, and the CXA61 should drive them easily.

You could also add a subwoofer later if you wish but I highly doubt you’ll need one. The 100s are larger than the pictures suggest.
I haven't even considered them! Great suggestion there! On my way to check it out! Thanks a lot!!!

This is shaping up nicely! Thanks for the incredible help!!
I will definitely work on the speakers placement in the room now. I haven't paid much attention to it. I've recently bought better wires and wow, wouldn't have thought they'd make that much difference (I was using really crappy ones and not even sure they were speaker wires).
My shortlist is MA Silver 300 (999$) and the QA 3050i (650$).
I've just bought the CXA61, which exceeded my initial budget, so I will stick with it for a while. It was the best amp I could afford here in my country, the others were above 5000$, nothing in between. That's way beyond what I could spend on gear unfortunately. Maybe next time I travel to Europe I could upgrade my amp but meanwhile I'm happy with the CXA61.

Recommended amplification for the MA silver 300s is 80-200w. This is a little outside your amps ability .. (it's still a great amp). The QA 3050i would be my choice and would fill your room with rich articulate sound. The 3050i power recommendation is 25-100w. It would be a good combo and a tangible upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts