Q Accoustics or Tannoys?

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I want to get a decent (by my standards at least) CD player system for my back room. I have a budget of about £1000 and have pretty much set my heart on the Marrantz 6005 CD player and PM6005 Integrated Amp - but I'm not sure whether to go with the Q Accoustics 2050i (because the paino white gloss will go really well with the other stuff in there, keeping the mrs happy - and they are award winners) or stretch the extra £200 and go for the Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE (not available in piano white :cry: )

At the end of the day, I do want to get the best from the Marantz set up, but is the difference going to be worth it - bearing in mind my current 'best quality' is listening to music through my PSB M4U headphones?

Thank you for any responses or alternative suggestions within my budget

P.S. I live in Lincoln and there is really much chance to audition stuff locally since our seven oaks shut down

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The amp should drive both speakers but I feel it may let the Tannoy's down a bit. Either option should yield good results. For what it's worth, I recently heard the new Q Acoustic concept floorstanders (Concept 40's) at The Bristol Show and they'll blow both of these speakers out the water. I forget what they retail for though, sorry.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi bicandbob. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to go up to the Tannoys, as the Marantz pairing will work really well with the Qs. You can then put any surplus budget towards decent interconnects and speaker cable.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
Hi bicandbob. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to go up to the Tannoys, as the Marantz pairing will work really well with the Qs. You can then put any surplus budget towards decent interconnects and speaker cable.

For suggesting that on here you should be required to wash out your mouth with soap.

Any soap will do, they all taste the same anyway....... ;)

T

the record spot

Do you have a large room? If so, the Qs would be my pick for scale. Maybe to much for a smaller room. Have a listen though. They will have a quite different sound from each other.

CJ1045

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest the Concept 20 at £350 rather than the Concept 40. I could not hear a difference between them at the show and the Concept 20 is SO much cheaper. The Concept 40 is actually only a two way as the two larger drive units get the same signal. I think this explains the similarity.

CJ

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
davedotco said:
Andy Madden said:

For suggesting that on here you should be required to wash out your mouth with soap.

Now, now, keep it clean... ;)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
davedotco said:
Andy Madden said:

Is this the point where I challenge you to undertake a blind test........ :?

We will put up our reference Pears Transparent up against anything you care to mention.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andy Madden said:
davedotco said:
Andy Madden said:

Get the Tannoys if you really like them better. (Although I suspect you haven't listened to either yet and are going by reviews and finish options.)

However, spending the £200 difference on 'boutique' cables - as suggested above - would be insane.

T

the record spot

CJ1045 said:
I would suggest the Concept 20 at £350 rather than the Concept 40. I could not hear a difference between them at the show and the Concept 20 is SO much cheaper. The Concept 40 is actually only a two way as the two larger drive units get the same signal. I think this explains the similarity.

CJ

Make sure you compare with the Tannoy DC4 in that case then. Only if you have a small room though. If so, the Hifi World review rated the DC4 as having better skills in some areas than the Concept 20. Again, you'd need to listen to both and decide.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
chebby said:
Andy Madden said:
davedotco said:
Andy Madden said:

Get the Tannoys if you really like them better. (Although I suspect you haven't listened to either yet and are going by reviews and finish options.)

However, spending the £200 difference on 'boutique' cables - as suggested above - would be insane.

Ok, perhaps i should have been clearer. You could buy a good pair of stereo interconnects around the £30/40 mark and some good speaker cable around £5/£6 per metre. to complete the system. Just a suggestion.

the record spot said:
CJ1045 said:

CJ

Make sure you compare with the Tannoy DC4 in that case then. Only if you have a small room though. If so, the Hifi World review rated the DC4 as having better skills in some areas than the Concept 20. Again, you'd need to listen to both and decide.

I hate to mention it but I think from his selection he is actually looking for floorstanders. :)

Bearing that in mind I'd seriously suggest the OP gets down to a Richer Sounds (if, indeed, he can) and audition some Cambridge Audio Aero 6's.

bicandbob

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. In my original post i meant to put there 'isn't' much chance to audition stuff locally, though I think there is a Richer Sounds in Nottingham, which isn't too far.

As a result, it's true that i am just going on reviews, not just this site, or even just UK reviews, but the Marantz combination is universally well recieved. And not having chance to hear it for myself, I feel i need to trust these people who listen to this stuff for a living.

It is only a small room, 3.6m x 2.8m, and i was looking at floor standers for the wider range that i presume they give. I didn't want to add a sub really.

There is a Richer Sounds in Nottingham, which isnt too far, so it may be worth the trip - I hadn't heard of the Cambridge Audio option - but I'll certainly give them a go - thanks for that.

And thanks again to everyone's input so far.

T

the record spot

In that case I think your room would be too small for the Q Acoustics speakers, they need some room to breathe I think. Smaller standmounts, as opposed to floorstanders, will give you a much more focused sound and scale needn't be an issue. You'll get better imaging too - especially in a smaller room. For your budget and depending on room size, the Tannoys (which throw out a widely dispersed soundstage), the new Cambridge Audio Aero 2 and the Q Acoustics already mentioned.

T

the record spot

Al ears said:
I hate to mention it but I think from his selection he is actually looking for floorstanders. :)

Bearing that in mind I'd seriously suggest the OP gets down to a Richer Sounds (if, indeed, he can) and audition some Cambridge Audio Aero 6's.

I know, but seeing as the Concepts came up, I mentioned the Tannoys. And it looks like standmounts might be an option anyway!

the record spot said:
Al ears said:

I know, but seeing as the Concepts came up, I mentioned the Tannoys. And it looks like standmounts might be an option anyway!

I'd certainly recommend it in a room of that size, and heartily re-recommend the Aero 2's. The OP will just have to factor in some cash on a decent pair of stands.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
In a room that size, bookshelf speakers would be fine.

I'd suggest having a listen to a pair of KEF Q100'S or Q300's, as KEF rightly use Marantz equipment to demo their 'Q' series of speakers. And with their' Uniq' designed tweeter, dispersion of sound is very good indeed. They do come in white too..... :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts