new setup with Q Accoustics 3050 and Rega Brio-R?

KSP

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking to replace my yamaha ax-497 and Kef iq30 setup because this combination is sounding flat and unpleasant.

If recently performed a test with Q Accoustics 3050 paired with a NAD c356BEE and Rega Brio-R, sourced by a Node 2.

I think the speakers are my choice to go further because they fit my needs in terms of sound, looks and budget.

During this test the Brio-R impressed me by bringing the music alive. I was enjoying the songs rather than analysing the sound. This seemed to confirm this was a great combo.

The c356BEE was very nice, but less alive.

Now I am affraid of making a pure emotional choice and ignoring specs for instance. The Brio-r is a rather specific device while the NAD is in line with rational expectations of a good amplifier.

I also fear that the sound of the Rega might be too specific for longer sessions and that I won't be able to detect this during the tests.

Other amps that got my attention: Nad c356BEE, Arcam A19, CXA60, Atoll IN100SE. I did not yet test the latter 3. Probably I will add a Bluesound Node 2 for the digital tasks in my system.

Could you share your thoughts on this setup and the other suggested amps?

I can't comment on the specific combination you have auditioned. However, I've heard several Rega amps and several different QA speakers. Both are very good products

I think that going with the reaction you report above is far more likely to serve you well than asking someone else here. I get your point about specs, but Rega are a long standing manufacturer with good back up.

I'd trust your own ears. Otherwise it's a bit like saying: I loved my meal, but how did you enjoy yours because that's what I'm going to have from now on?

Good luck, whatever you decide! And welcome to the forum.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a brio r, and it is a very nice sounding amp. Afyer a year I was left wanting more bass, and went for a roksan k2bt. I would highly recommend trying to get a listen to one of these also. It sounds similar to the brio r, but with much bigger and more naturally sounding bass.

KSP

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
After different tests I have choosen rhe Rega Elex-r over the other amps mentionned above.

the Brio-r has its magic touch that is very appealing, but when handling louder music genres like Avicii - wake me up, Volbeat - Mary Ann's place the Brio-r got disorganized when driving QA 3050's. This is a compromise that I do not accept at that price.

Another alternative was the NAD c356bee. But I liked the Rega timbre too much so I am happy to pay the difference of 400 euro in a good deal for the Rega Elex-r. The Elex has the power to do the Brio magic with more confidence, probably making it a longer companion.

The Atoll was too far from my personal taste.

So normally this was the last time ever that I was looking for a new amplifier :).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts