Q Accoustic Concept 500

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, Been searching for an upgrade speaker and thought I had settled on the QAC 500. The reviews are glowing everywhere I look even from Ken Ishiwata. Been on the phone to arrange a price and delivery etc and got talking to guys from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and Peter Tyson. They thought I could do so much better than them and thought I'd be underwhelmed. Pushing me from the purchase basically! Whilst I respect they thought they were doing me a good turn. Is the written press, our own What Hifi (stereophile, hifi choice, the ear) as well as new record day, Andrew Robinson and the godfather Ken Ishiwata all wrong about these speakers. Please help!

D

Deleted member 188516

Hi All, Been searching for an upgrade speaker and thought I had settled on the QAC 500. The reviews are glowing everywhere I look even from Ken Ishiwata. Been on the phone to arrange a price and delivery etc and got talking to guys from Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and Peter Tyson. They thought I could do so much better than them and thought I'd be underwhelmed. Pushing me from the purchase basically! Whilst I respect they thought they were doing me a good turn. Is the written press, our own What Hifi (stereophile, hifi choice, the ear) as well as new record day, Andrew Robinson and the godfather Ken Ishiwata all wrong about these speakers. Please help!

if you can get them on a home trial judge for yourself - only your opinion matters !

Reactions: Rollo and Al ears

Samd

I have to wonder why they do not sell them when they seem to do the rest of QA range. I have had mine for close on a couple of years now and find them superb. They do not seem to mind at all being close to side wall and they chuck out a fair slice of the deep stuff! I need to say that they have been subjected to my Anthem Room Correction.

Reactions: Rollo and Al ears
I'd be really curious to hear what they recommended in place of these "underwhelming" speakers.
I might suggest that, as they cannot exactly be doing a roaring trade at present, you push them hard for a home demo
You might even get them below £3595
Having said that they may just be a sideways move from the R7s and not a huge upgrade but only you can decide that and certainly not a dealer......
P.S.
For that sort of money you might also look at the MA Gold 300s
Perhaps we really need to know what's lacking with your current speakers because your previous 'upgrade' suggestion were speakers that were cheaper than what you currently own and now you have shot up a fair bit in price to the 500's.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
I'd be really curious to hear what they recommended in place of these "underwhelming" speakers.
I might suggest that, as they cannot exactly be doing a roaring trade at present, you push them hard for a home demo
You might even get them below £3595
Having said that they may just be a sideways move from the R7s and not a huge upgrade but only you can decide that and certainly not a dealer......
P.S.
For that sort of money you might also look at the MA Gold 300s
Perhaps we really need to know what's lacking with your current speakers because your previous 'upgrade' suggestion were speakers that were cheaper than what you currently own and now you have shot up a fair bit in price to the 500's.
Sorry mate there must be a misunderstanding somewhere along the lines. I currently have the Linton's! I was trying to make a choice between the R7 and QAC500. I have negotiated the QAC500 down to £3000 GBP.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
IMG_20201113_155130.jpg

Been at a loss what to do with my Linton's. I already have a bedroom system and didn't want to sell them. Giving them a bash in the office! Running them of a little 40w Topping MX3 connected via optical. Complete overkill but sound damn good in the near field... 😁

Reactions: newlash09

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 1748

Been at a loss what to do with my Linton's. I already have a bedroom system and didn't want to sell them. Giving them a bash in the office! Running them of a little 40w Topping MX3 connected via optical. Complete overkill but sound damn good in the near field... 😁
Interested in Lintons , just concerned about positioning .
Your photo seems to suggest they are not as fussy as some reviews would advise with a 500mm distance from the back wall ?

Interested in Lintons , just concerned about positioning .
Your photo seems to suggest they are not as fussy as some reviews would advise with a 500mm distance from the back wall ?
Yes it would be interesting, have read a couple of American reviews that stated the were best at anywhere from 36-43 inches from rear wall...
Makes them pretty much unusable in the majority of UK sized listening rooms and I am certain Wharfedale and Mr. Comeau would not have designed them to be used in this manner.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
To be honest in my lounge which is 17 x 16, typical British room. I never had a problem with bass or anything else with the Linton's and I more or less had them at 18 inches from the front wall to the rear of the speaker. Of course if you listen at very loud levels the bass would come into play. As it would on any speaker. But at normal listening levels 70 to 80 dB they were champion.

Reactions: Al ears
To be honest in my lounge which is 17 x 16, typical British room. I never had a problem with bass or anything else with the Linton's and I more or less had them at 18 inches from the front wall to the rear of the speaker. Of course if you listen at very loud levels the bass would come into play. As it would on any speaker. But at normal listening levels 70 to 80 dB they were champion.
Good to hear as I would imagine anything over two feet from the rear wall just isn't going to work in the majority of UK listening rooms. I had to change my speakers (Heybrook HB3's) when I moved from large Victorian terraced property to new, not so small roomed, detached house. Listening room now about half the size of the Victorian house....

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
Totally agree, I watch all these videos with the 2 thirds rules etc. But it just isn't feasible in day to day living in a working family home. We just got to deal with what we have. That's why I finally chose the C500. The ability to use the bungs for the bass and straps for the top end gives me a bit more flexibility in placement.

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
IMG_20201115_084214.jpgIMG_20201115_084114.jpgIMG_20201115_084600.jpgLooks so much more classier than I thought they would. The online photos do not do them justice. A nice early morning ambient listening session. Be rude not too!

Reactions: nopiano

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes it would be interesting, have read a couple of American reviews that stated the were best at anywhere from 36-43 inches from rear wall...
Makes them pretty much unusable in the majority of UK sized listening rooms and I am certain Wharfedale and Mr. Comeau would not have designed them to be used in this manner.
I do hope as I have between 200-250mm to play with at the rear of the speaker.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 1748

Hello sir :)

If you love the Lintons and if you are placing them directly on the table. Then there are definite gains to be had by adding the below oehlbach isolators under the speakers.

I got them initially to see if isolation works under my speakers. And they improved dramatically. Being a convert, I upgraded to isoacoustics gaia3, which are only slightly better.

Just thought I'd share my 2 cents. Sorry for the unsolicited advise :D

Last edited:

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 1752View attachment 1753View attachment 1754Looks so much more classier than I thought they would. The online photos do not do them justice. A nice early morning ambient listening session. Be rude not too!

Absolutely cracking looking setup :)

You just bought my favourite speakers. Iam a huge QA fan boy. Using a QA setup in my HT for almost 7 years now. Iam just fondly hoping my concept 40's die sooner than later, so that i can replace them with the concept 500's :D

I was initially alarmed at the beginning of the post, if the dealers would manage to persuade your good selves to buy something else. Usually whatever they have a better margin on in some cases. Glad you stuck to your guns :)

Iam in touch with several concept 500 owners, and not a single one of them has been less than impressed with them. So a great decision in the end. And I must compliment that your setup looks absolutely as lovely as it sounds ....cheers and enjoy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts