Puzzling problem with turntable setup...

jampip

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm tearing my hair out at an issue with my setup and I'm hoping that you no doubt far more knowledgeable minds will be able to offer some advice... Possibly it's something very obvious but I'm no expert when it comes to the intricacies of audios (I just know when things sound bad!).

Anyway, my problem is basically that when I have one turntable connected directly to my amp, the sound is fine (considering the temporary budget speakers I'm working with at the moment anyway...), but when I connect two turntables via a mixer that is then connected to the amp the sound instantly becomes very muddy, even distorted.

I cannot work out why this might be the case - possibly something to do with the wiring? Could it be anything to do with the current speakers themselves? As they are probably the worst components in the set-up, but I don't see how it could be that, as the sound is noticeably improved when one turntable goes directly into the amp.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out here!

Many thanks,
James

Components (in case useful):
Turntables: Technics 1210Mk2
Mixer: Allen And Heath Xone-22
Amp: Pioneer SA-506
Speakers: some inherited cambridge audio ones

jampip said:
Hi all,I'm tearing my hair out at an issue with my setup and I'm hoping that you no doubt far more knowledgeable minds will be able to offer some advice... Possibly it's something very obvious but I'm no expert when it comes to the intricacies of audios (I just know when things sound bad!).

Anyway, my problem is basically that when I have one turntable connected directly to my amp, the sound is fine (considering the temporary budget speakers I'm working with at the moment anyway...), but when I connect two turntables via a mixer that is then connected to the amp the sound instantly becomes very muddy, even distorted.

I cannot work out why this might be the case - possibly something to do with the wiring? Could it be anything to do with the current speakers themselves? As they are probably the worst components in the set-up, but I don't see how it could be that, as the sound is noticeably improved when one turntable goes directly into the amp.

Many thanks,James

Components (in case useful):Turntables: Technics 1210Mk2Mixer: Allen And Heath Xone-22Amp: Pioneer SA-506Speakers: some inherited cambridge audio ones

Although not too sure why you want to connect two turntables (are you a DJ?), I would guess the mixerv itself is the problem not that I know anything about them.

jampip said:
Hi all,I'm tearing my hair out at an issue with my setup and I'm hoping that you no doubt far more knowledgeable minds will be able to offer some advice... Possibly it's something very obvious but I'm no expert when it comes to the intricacies of audios (I just know when things sound bad!).

Many thanks,James

Components (in case useful):Turntables: Technics 1210Mk2Mixer: Allen And Heath Xone-22Amp: Pioneer SA-506Speakers: some inherited cambridge audio ones

Although not too sure why you want to connect two turntables (are you a DJ?), I would guess the mixerv itself is the problem not that I know anything about them.

How is that mixer connected to your amp.? It looks like it has XLR outputs. Have you got it connected to the AUX socket somehow?

jampip

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your quick response Al (two turntables is for recording DJ mixes, yes)

I don't use XLR outputs to connect it to the mixer, just the regular (as far as I'm aware) phono connections. There are sockets for connecting speakers directly to the mixer (but not the sort of speakers I have) or the 'monitor' socket for the amp, which is what I use.

Hopefully these links to two pics of the connection will work to illustrate, one at the mixer end and one at the amp end:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2v8wq1Gk_4vR1ZaRHlMNjB3dTQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2v8wq1Gk_4va2pPbHdkX0ZhRG8/view?usp=sharing

abacus

1. Make sure the turntables are connected to the correct inputs and (If necessary) phono is selected

2. Connect the monitor out of the Mixer, to the aux in of the amplifier (The phono cartridge pre-amps are built into the mixer, thus the phono cartridge input on the amp is not required)

Hope this helps

Bill

jampip

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Ah, maybe this is where I've been going wrong... Thanks Bill! I will test out with the aux rather than phono input and see how that sounds.

Thanks again,

James

jampip said:
Ah, maybe this is where I've been going wrong... Thanks Bill! I will test out with the aux rather than phono input and see how that sounds.

Thanks again,

James

Should work. If that mixer does have the phono preamp built in as Bill says then you are amplifying the signal twice. Pretty much as I was trying to say.

Connect mixer to AUX and if using single TT this connects to the phono input on amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts