Pushing it...

Volume wise, this is the first real chance I've had to push the hifi to a higher level, as our adjoining neighbours moved out a few days ago.

Absolutely loving the experience. Having a few beers, chatting (shouting) with the mrs.

Its good to hear the Focal speakers pushing some bass out, I know they are very capable, but this is the first tine I've heard them perform so well.

Im gonna enjoy this while I can, but I'm gonna miss it when I'm back at reasonable volume.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Volume wise, this is the first real chance I've had to push the hifi to a higher level, as our adjoining neighbours moved out a few days ago. 

Absolutely loving the experience. Having a few beers, chatting (shouting) with the mrs. 

Its good to hear the Focal speakers pushing some bass out, I know they are very capable, but this is the first tine I've heard them perform so well. 

Im gonna enjoy this while I can, but I'm gonna miss it when I'm back at reasonable volume. 
that's the trouble I have.Liveing in the real world.we have very capable systems but never get the chance to hear it to it's full pertechal.

bigfish786 said:

I can quite understand where you are coming from. I fortunately have always lived in 'isolation' so could see what my system was capable of without annoying neighbours. It must be incredibly frustrating for those that can only push-on so to speak without the use of headphones.

D

Deleted member 108165

I had the same wonderful opportunity about two years ago when next door was vacant between owners for about nine months. Bloody brilliant times... hi-fi, surround sound all pushed to beautiful fullness... totally amazing! I still get the odd occasion when the new neigbours venture out for a few hours, but when they are at home I have a dB meter available and keep it under 75dB peak.

For me headphones are a poor substitute for speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:

This is one reason why I ask people what sort of level they listen at. You go to most demos and stores will be playing at higher volumes to impress, but if that's not your listening level at home, it's a useless exercise. Whilst bigger, more expensive systems may have the capability to play loud and cleanly, if that just isn't possible, there's audio components around that are smaller (and maybe even a bit cheaper) that will more than happily reach requirements. And probably work better in the room!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have a very loud quite big and young (but very nice) family living beside me. On the rare occasion my wife vanishes for a day I'll push the hifi.

Next door don't complain because they probably can't hear it with what's going on there :) so I know what you mean

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A number of amplifier manufacturers claim that their amplifiers run in pure class A for the first few watts, so there are some benefits to running systems quietly off radar, no?

Notwithstanding the above I also like to push my system, so I built a soundproof room in my roof to allow me this pleasure!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The first thing that will influence volume level is background noise. The quieter the room is, the lower you can listen music and still hear subtle detail (obviously depends on the quality of system too).

insider9

I can appreciate where you're coming from OP. Hope you don't have a headache/ringing in your ears today and you didn't push it too hard. Even so, by your comments looks like it was worth it, regardless :)

I find that drinking and listening can impact my whole week. It's almost always I will go much louder after alcohol. This way the next few days I also listen to at higher volume as the ears are recovering. I try to avoid alcohol while listening for that reason.

I'm fortunate as a few others as I can also go louder than necessary on a daily basis. One of perks of listening in a smaller room.

Interesting comments from Davidf it makes you appreciate just how important the choice of a dealer is.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
So I have to check if the cars are in the drive next door. I can play loud!. Daytimes only - in the evening I play low vol only,

Sometimes I've given a bit of "payback" when excessive drilling/hammering/home improvement noises cheese me off!

peace - tonky

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to live in a detatched house.

Unfortunately Mrs Loop is not a fan of loud music (or Jazz, or Folk, or Classical)....

Sometimes you just cannot win. *scratch_one-s_head*

D

Deleted member 108165

Infiniteloop said:

Unfortunately Mrs Loop is not a fan of loud music (or Jazz, or Folk, or Classical)....

Ooh, fancy a house swap? *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 108165

tonky said:
So I have to check if the cars are in the drive next door. I can play loud!. Daytimes only - in the evening I play low vol only,

Sometimes I've given a bit of "payback" when excessive drilling/hammering/home improvement noises cheese me off!

peace - tonky

Ditto, Tonky. Mine also have a dog that if left home alone will howl for as long as they are out, 6 minutes to 6 hours. I had a word in their ear and they now take the dog with them.

Get one of those cheap dB meters off the Bay, in the evening I can play at around 65dB without upsetting anyone.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
tonky said:

peace - tonky

Ditto, Tonky. Mine also have a dog that if left home alone will howl for as long as they are out, 6 minutes to 6 hours. I had a word in their ear and they now take the dog with them.

Get one of those cheap dB meters off the Bay, in the evening I can play at around 65dB without upsetting anyone.

You can get an SPL meter App for your phone for free. - I use mine quite a lot, just to make sure I'm not wearing my ears out.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
DougK said:
tonky said:

Sometimes I've given a bit of  "payback" when excessive drilling/hammering/home  improvement noises cheese me off!

peace -  tonky

You can get an SPL meter App for your phone for free. - I use mine quite a lot, just to make sure I'm not wearing my ears out.

That the app is correctly calibrated?

I downloaded 2 apps and they were 30db difference

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I live in a semi too, and for 20 years I had to be mindful of my neighbours despite all the very odd times he decided to do some DIY. Why does anyone want to drill the wall at midnight?

Anyway, I took extreme measures and knocked my beloved garage down and built an extenion on the side of the house. So anyone who wants to push it, the solution is simple *good*

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

My wife goes to a different room and lets me have an hour or so to myself. I can let myself go then (volume wise!)

tonky

i'll be having some more fun again this evening.

i thought about watching the Barnsley v Leeds match, but that would probably spoil my evening!!

currently listening to Trivium on vinyl, and for a change, i put my nagaoka cart on the tonearm too. what a lovely thing it is too.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:
Infiniteloop said:

My wife goes to a different room and lets me have an hour or so to myself. I can let myself go then (volume wise!)

tonky

Mrs Loop does that too. - It's the guilt I find difficult to deal with...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts