Punchy 2.1 or 2.0 setup for 12 square room max 500$

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
skippy said:
I listened to a pair of Mackie MR8's yesterday. Under $500 and all the punch you'll need. Fair sized boxes though and you'd probably be able to afford Isolation pads to decouple them from the table. Just as easy to use as computer speakers with 3 types of connections, HF and LF setup options.

Have posted in the active speakers club about my purchase of the smaller MR5's

Sadly it looks like the OP is going to put the speakers on a table, even with isolation pads I doubt such a setup would be satisfactory, properly set up I am sure they would be fine though my personal preference would be for the slightly more expensive Pre-sonus Eris 8.

Trying to explain the advantages of active monitors in these kinds of setup becomes repetitive, and to be honest most users want the 'bling' factor of well known brands to show off to their mates.

If you really want a powerful punchy bass at this sort of price level then the active speakers are the way to go, the conventional wisdom of this board does not agree though, and I am becoming bored with the arguments.

It is generally harder to get to hear active monitors in a suitable setup/environment and understandably this puts a lot of people off, so few hi-fi enthusiasts get to hear these speakers properly set up which I think is a shame, but that's the way it is.

Well, I just ordered Presonus Eris 8 for 400€. I hope for your own good that I won't be dissapointed

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
It is things like this that make me really miss not being 'in the trade' any longer.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and would love to be able try these things for myself, something that as a dealer I was always able to do. I had plenty of experience of bi-amping in those days but never with an AV reciever, it would be interesting.

Gumetree is your friend (or Ebay)! I picked up most of the stuff I've had that's fulfilled the hobbyist side of me on those two. The mainstay stuff (Onkyo gear, speakers and the SA7001-KI) from dealers. Lets me muck about with trying stuff out and then move it on. I think all of the stuff I've had off Ebay has sold at around the price I paid, minus a tenner or so in Ebay fees. So there's been a slight loss, but by and large, I can live with that.

manicm

This may be a leftfield product, but I would not hesitate to get the Cambridge Audio Minx - the larger satellites, and one of the larger 2 subs. I had them and they were excellent. When I moved places the sound changed for the worse - but it was my fault as I now realised the sub NEEDS to be placed in a corner, which I didn't do when I moved. I bitterly regret selling it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
davedotco said:
It is things like this that make me really miss not being 'in the trade' any longer.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and would love to be able try these things for myself, something that as a dealer I was always able to do. I had plenty of experience of bi-amping in those days but never with an AV reciever, it would be interesting.

Gumetree is your friend (or Ebay)! I picked up most of the stuff I've had that's fulfilled the hobbyist side of me on those two. The mainstay stuff (Onkyo gear, speakers and the SA7001-KI) from dealers. Lets me muck about with trying stuff out and then move it on. I think all of the stuff I've had off Ebay has sold at around the price I paid, minus a tenner or so in Ebay fees. So there's been a slight loss, but by and large, I can live with that.

Fair comment RS, but I am keeping away from the devil hi-fi at the moment, I do tend to get involved and, as you can guess, a bit obsessive.

I genuinely miss having all the bits and bobs 'to hand' as in the old days, so I content myself with hanging out with some old friends who are in the pro-audio business, hence my current familiarity with active monitors etc.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy that I purchased Eris 8's. They sound nice on the bare desktop. Does the sound get even better with proper stands?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
I'm happy that I purchased Eris 8's. They sound nice on the bare desktop. Does the sound get even better with proper stands?

Interesting.

If they have to stay on the desktop try and find some way to lift them a little so that they decouple from the flat top. Tilting them slightly back might help as will the bass adjustment switches on the rear (acoustic space).

They may not be big enough so you would need to measure up but try these.....

DS2_dims.png

Audioengine desktop stands, might just be big enough. These are the larger of the two models.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
For nearfield, I'd seriously recommend something like a pair of Mackie MR5 MK2 Active Studio Monitor's with a DAC like the arcam rDAC. No sub.

I have a pair of Dynaudio BM5A mk2's with an arcam irDAC. The sound is exactly what you're after (and exactly what I was searching for for ages. I bought so many different hifi rigs and am finally happy with these). The speakers are very clear and punch. The Ardac is very puncy and bassy (in a good way). My friend owns some Mackie MR5 MK2's and they are surprisingly punch and bassy. Go to a store and listen to some active monitors.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Question about Eris 8

How can I make the bass hit harder without cranking volume all the way up? Like a car stereo with decent subwoofer.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
Question about Eris 8

How can I make the bass hit harder without cranking volume all the way up? Like a car stereo with decent subwoofer.

I'm tempted to ask why, having spent £400 on a pair of decent, fairly accurate monitors, you want them to sound like a car stereo....... :?

But, I'm in quite a good mood so I will try.

The first thing is to try and identify the areas, the frequencies, where you feel the bass is lacking.

Generally it is my experience that these frequencies are higher than you might think, equalising a bass drum to 'hit harder' for example usually involves a lift around 150hz, not that low. If you are using a software player, try some eq around this frequency, if you find that you need to use a lot, use the rolloff switches on the rear of the speakers to cut the low bass at 80hz. This will give you massive bass 'kick' without overdriving the speaker at sub bass frequency.

If you are playing electronic music that has a considerable output in the sub bass, then in the fulness of time you will need to add a subwoofer, but as I explained earlier, capable subs are not cheap. One of the issues that you have to come to terms with is just how much bass should there be in your playback system. I'm kind of old fashioned and expect the bass to underpin the music, not dominate it and it probably does not help that I do not listen to bass heavy music.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
ntune said:
Question about Eris 8

I'm tempted to ask why, having spent £400 on a pair of decent, fairly accurate monitors, you want them to sound like a car stereo....... :?

The first thing is to try and identify the areas, the frequencies, where you feel the bass is lacking.

Generally it is my experience that these frequencies are higher than you might think, equalising a bass drum to 'hit harder' for example usually involves a lift around 150hz, not that low. If you are using a software player, try some eq around this frequency, if you find that you need to use a lot, use the rolloff switches on the rear of the speakers to cut the low bass at 80hz. This will give you massive bass 'kick' without overdriving the speaker at sub bass frequency.

If you are playing electronic music that has a considerable output in the sub bass, then in the fulness of time you will need to add a subwoofer, but as I explained earlier, capable subs are not cheap. One of the issues that you have to come to terms with is just how much bass should there be in your playback system. I'm kind of old fashioned and expect the bass to underpin the music, not dominate it and it probably does not help that I do not listen to bass heavy music.

I like the clean bass that Eris delivers. I can certainly hear every bass note down to 35Hz even at low volume, that's not the problem. But I want sense the bass with my body, not only with my ears. IMO that's the purpose of bass.

How about SVS PC12-NSD?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
davedotco said:
ntune said:
Question about Eris 8

I like the clean bass that Eris delivers. I can certainly hear every bass note down to 35Hz even at low volume, that's not the problem. But I want sense the bass with my body, not only with my ears. IMO that's the purpose of bass.

How about SVS PC12-NSD?

That sub is not common in the uk, looks like a serious unit so should be fine if you can get it at the right price.

My benchmark models in the uk are the BK XLS200 and XLS 400. Best for music at their price. Here.......

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts