Punchy 2.1 or 2.0 setup for 12 square room max 500$

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi folks!

I'm looking for 2.1 setup to hook up with my laptop for listening music. Criteria is rich and punchy sound. By punchy I mean powerful, yet accurate bass. The opposite of boomy, you know. I want the kickdrum to sound and feel like a kickdrum, not synthetic (like my 12" cerwin-vega does). I live in apartment house, so I can't afford too loud loudspeakers. I want the maximum performance from the speakers in neighbour-friendly levels.

Speakers can be active or passive. I have Onkyo TX-NR509 AV-receiver (5.1 channels, 130W@6ohm/channel, sub preout), which should be sufficient for any 500$ setup I guess.

I have done some research, and these are so far the ones that have evoked my interest.

- Amphion Helium 3 (350€) + 150€ subwoofer

- Dali Zensor 1 (300€) + 200€ subwoofer

- Mission MX1 (200€) + 300€ subwoofer

- Wharfedale Diamond 121 (250€) + 250€ subwoofer

- Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (160€) + 340 €subwoofer

- Audio Pro Addon Six (active) 400€

- Genelec G One (active) 500€

I have heard that Genelecs are superior in sound quality, but lacks bass. In the other hand, missions have been said to be punchy, but how about the overall quality? Only speakers I have heard are Helium 3. They sounded big for their size in a big room. Unfortunately I haven't change to listen other speakers. So, which setup is closest to my criteria, and which subwoofer would you recommend (if any at all)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Usher S520 plus sub. They're not bass monsters, you need bigger cones for that but for the size, they sound much bigger than they look.

regards

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Usher S520 plus sub. They're not bass monsters, you need bigger cones for that but for the size, they sound much bigger than they look.

regards

How they compare to Amphion Helium 3? I have change to get almost new Amphions for half the price. Are they more accurate?

T

the record spot

Use the Onkyo's additional amps to bi-amp the speakers. There's an option in the amp to select this. Well worth it and very cost effective.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Depending on where you are actually based you should be able to get either the Pre-sonus Eris 8 or the Yamaha HS7 within budget.

Deeo bass extension will be limited but punch and presence should be fantastic, rendering a sub largely un-necessary. Bear in mind that these speakers are not small and will need to be properly mounted, ideally on stands.

If you are in europe, try here....

http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_hs_7.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/presonus_eris_8.htm

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Considering your low budget I think you'd be better off with a good 2.0 system with good bass rather than a lower quality 2.1 system which is bound to have a badly integrated subwoofer at that price.

Behringer TRUTH active monitors for $460. Clicky

Or slightly over budget but worth the extra are the Yamaha HS8 active monitors for $600. Clicky

Alternatively you could audition a few different passive speakers with your Onkyo TX-NR509 to see if any of them take your fancy. Go for something larger with either a 6.5" or 8" woofer is probably a good idea.

T

the record spot

ntune said:
the record spot said:
Use the Onkyo's additional amps to bi-amp the speakers. There's an option in the amp to select this. Well worth it and very cost effective.
no

No, because....?

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
Depending on where you are actually based you should be able to get either the Pre-sonus Eris 8 or the Yamaha HS7 within budget.

Deeo bass extension will be limited but punch and presence should be fantastic, rendering a sub largely un-necessary. Bear in mind that these speakers are not small and will need to be properly mounted, ideally on stands.

Can they be mounted on table? Do I need pre-amp with these, or can I plug the straight to laptop?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
davedotco said:

Can they be mounted on table? Do I need pre-amp with these, or can I plug the straight to laptop?

They are too big and powerful to use on a desktop, they are serious speakers, not beefed up computer speakers and need proper support. They have large 6.5 and 8 inch bass drivers and putting them on a table will do no them no favours.

You might just get away with a desk stand, maybe something like this, but you would probably be better off with smaller speakers in that case.

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/25568?source=googleshopping&gclid=CLP8n-rA7rkCFTLMtAodgToAVg

You need a USB dac to take the output from you laptop and feed the speakers, you can pay pretty much anything for a dac, but start with this.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ucontrol_uca_202.htm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
I'm pretty sceptical with studio monitors. I think I'll go for Usher S520-II and place them on table

Interesting but ultimately safe choice. You have the Onkyo so I guess it makes some sort of sense.

Not having a go at you in particular ntune, but it is interesting that a large number of posters come on this forum asking for speakers/system that delivers powerful, punchy bass, but are not prepared to look 'outside the box'.

Active, pro monitor type speakers are excellent in this respect but most end up buying a pair of decent but ultimately quite average bookshelf speakers that will struggle if pushed with any kind of bass driven music.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ntune said:
the record spot said:
ntune said:
the record spot said:
no

No, because....?

because I have heard there's no difference

It seems like a good suggestion to me. The extra headroom that you would get by doubling power could be just what you need.

It would certainly be worth a go. If you've got a bit of spare speaker cable it wouldn't cost anything to try it out.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ntune said:
the record spot said:
ntune said:
the record spot said:
no

No, because....?

It seems like a good suggestion to me. The extra headroom that you would get by doubling power could be just what you need.

It would certainly be worth a go. If you've got a bit of spare speaker cable it wouldn't cost anything to try it out.

I don't see why would I need extra power, as Ushers can handle 50W and Onkyo gives 100W per channel

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
ntune said:
I'm pretty sceptical with studio monitors. I think I'll go for Usher S520-II and place them on table

Interesting but ultimately safe choice. You have the Onkyo so I guess it makes some sort of sense.

Not having a go at you in particular ntune, but it is interesting that a large number of posters come on this forum asking for speakers/system that delivers powerful, punchy bass, but are not prepared to look 'outside the box'.

Active, pro monitor type speakers are excellent in this respect but most end up buying a pair of decent but ultimately quite average bookshelf speakers that will struggle if pushed with any kind of bass driven music.

I believe it's easier to tweak and update the setup with additional channels and subwoofer afterwards on hifi speakers than studio monitors

T

the record spot

ntune said:

Was this in your own experience or what someone told you? Either way, it's no odds to me and yes, I'd heard the same as you, but by the same token, others recommended it.

Having tried it out for myself, it works. As Steve says, it's a cheap and easy exercise to undertake.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that better controls the driver movement and dynamic peaks in music - and there's more than you might realise - is a good thing. Four amps dedicated to each driver does that. One of the reasons I bought my current amp was the means that I could bi-amp without having to buy separate power amps and the end results have been extremely satisfying.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ntune said:
davedotco said:
ntune said:

I believe it's easier to tweak and update the setup with additional channels and subwoofer afterwards on hifi speakers than studio monitors

Quite correct.

You can tweak, update, upgrade and add to a passive system, no doubt at considerable expense and still not end up with the sound you say you want in your original post.

Which was kind of the point I was trying to make.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
ntune said:

Was this in your own experience or what someone told you? Either way, it's no odds to me and yes, I'd heard the same as you, but by the same token, others recommended it.

Having tried it out for myself, it works. As Steve says, it's a cheap and easy exercise to undertake.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that better controls the driver movement and dynamic peaks in music - and there's more than you might realise - is a good thing. Four amps dedicated to each driver does that. One of the reasons I bought my current amp was the means that I could bi-amp without having to buy separate power amps and the end results have been extremely satisfying.

It is things like this that make me really miss not being 'in the trade' any longer.

I understand exactly where you are coming from and would love to be able try these things for myself, something that as a dealer I was always able to do. I had plenty of experience of bi-amping in those days but never with an AV reciever, it would be interesting.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that 500$ speakers + 500$ subwoofer won't be able to archieve the same punchiness and impact as 500$ studio monitors? By punchiness, I mean that "punch in the chest" feel.

How about the overall sound quality on studio monitors? I guess they sound right just at the right angle. How badly the sound quality would suffer if I placed them on a table? Are they easy to use as computer speakers?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I listened to a pair of Mackie MR8's yesterday. Under $500 and all the punch you'll need. Fair sized boxes though and you'd probably be able to afford Isolation pads to decouple them from the table. Just as easy to use as computer speakers with 3 types of connections, HF and LF setup options.

Have posted in the active speakers club about my purchase of the smaller MR5's

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
I listened to a pair of Mackie MR8's yesterday. Under $500 and all the punch you'll need. Fair sized boxes though and you'd probably be able to afford Isolation pads to decouple them from the table. Just as easy to use as computer speakers with 3 types of connections, HF and LF setup options.

Sadly it looks like the OP is going to put the speakers on a table, even with isolation pads I doubt such a setup would be satisfactory, properly set up I am sure they would be fine though my personal preference would be for the slightly more expensive Pre-sonus Eris 8.

Trying to explain the advantages of active monitors in these kinds of setup becomes repetitive, and to be honest most users want the 'bling' factor of well known brands to show off to their mates.

If you really want a powerful punchy bass at this sort of price level then the active speakers are the way to go, the conventional wisdom of this board does not agree though, and I am becoming bored with the arguments.

It is generally harder to get to hear active monitors in a suitable setup/environment and understandably this puts a lot of people off, so few hi-fi enthusiasts get to hear these speakers properly set up which I think is a shame, but that's the way it is.

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
skippy said:

Sadly it looks like the OP is going to put the speakers on a table, even with isolation pads I doubt such a setup would be satisfactory, properly set up I am sure they would be fine though my personal preference would be for the slightly more expensive Pre-sonus Eris 8.

Trying to explain the advantages of active monitors in these kinds of setup becomes repetitive, and to be honest most users want the 'bling' factor of well known brands to show off to their mates.

If you really want a powerful punchy bass at this sort of price level then the active speakers are the way to go, the conventional wisdom of this board does not agree though, and I am becoming bored with the arguments.

It is generally harder to get to hear active monitors in a suitable setup/environment and understandably this puts a lot of people off, so few hi-fi enthusiasts get to hear these speakers properly set up which I think is a shame, but that's the way it is.

What effect placing speakers on the table instead of stands have on the performance?

ntune

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
skippy said:

Well, I just ordered Presonus Eris 8 for 400€. I hope for your own good that I won't be dissapointed

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
ntune said:
davedotco said:
skippy said:

Well, I just ordered Presonus Eris 8 for 400€. I hope for your own good that I won't be dissapointed

No pressure there then Dave :pray:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts