PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
manicm said:
Sony, at the start at least, cripple streaming, MP3 and CD playback!!!!!! They knew that many, many people, used the PS3 as a media hub, and they chose to totally ignore that??? Great way to maintain customer loyalty Sony - you've learned nothing.

MP3 & CD support is coming soon via an update.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

Yup - see how that works! You're not happy with the value being provided so you're not buying one. No fleecing there.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my PS4 Friday to start playing games. No fleecing there either.

The consoles cost a certain amount and the online services cost a certain amount. You have a choice on whether you feel that cost is worth it and you make your choice. No one is being fleeced.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
manicm said:
Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

Yup - see how that works! You're not happy with the value being provided so you're not buying one. No fleecing there.

I'm very much looking forward to getting my PS4 Friday to start playing games. No fleecing there either.

The consoles cost a certain amount and the online services cost a certain amount. You have a choice on whether you feel that cost is worth it and you make your choice. No one is being fleeced.
It definitely is not fleecing, but both companies are using rather underhand tactics here... "Drop features and wait for public reaction"

It does seem that in many ways that the systems are both a step backwards from the previous generation.

I will probably buy one at some point, but I must say my initial anticipation is somewhat muted now. I can't be alone in that thinking.

I shall wait a while also now, and see what Steam have to bring to the table and also to see how quickly Sony restiore the features that should have been there in the first place...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
It definitely is not fleecing, but both companies are using rather underhand tactics here... "Drop features and wait for public reaction"

It does seem that in many ways that the systems are both a step backwards from the previous generation.

The interpretation I'm reading from those on the inside is that both of these consoles were somewhat rushed to market, with both Sony and Microsoft attempting to one-up the other by getting it released first. My understanding is the Xbox One was a bit more rushed than the PS4 in order to release the console about the same time, hence why a number of the features that were announced back in May haven't made it in the released console (e.g. streaming live gameplay, Dolby Digital encoding + there's a feeling a few of the games have been rushed to meet launch date with Forza 5 for instance missing many things that were present in Forza 4).

Sony's strategy for the PS4 has always been "this is for the players" - it seems they are very much looking at this as a games console first and foremost (unlike with PS3), and therefore haven't concentrated on the media functions that everyone assumed would be part of it (because they were present in the PS3). I'm sure once they feel they've got the gaming side of the console nailed down and running smoothly, time and effort will then go into getting the media playback parts of the console sorted. From what I've read, the console seems to run more reliably than the Xbox One (assuming you're not getting the blue light issue!), with most people saying it runs lightning quick with no crashing. The Xbox One on the other hand seems to take a while to get going and has been known to crash on occasion.

This is my opinion based on what I've been reading over the past few months (though I would say I've been reading a lot about this in my anticipation!). It's certainly not all fact, but it makes more sense to me than either Sony / Microsoft deliberately leaving out features with some evil schemes of "fleecing" or conning their customers. As I've said, treating your customers with contempt this way is bad for business, and both Sony and Microsoft know this all too well. If anything, it's just down to bad planning / thoughtlessness (though more likely, it's a choice of getting "A" or "B" implemented for launch, so they've left out "B" for now), and I'm sure both systems' issues and shortcomings will be patched and remedied over time.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
fr0g said:

The interpretation I'm reading from those on the inside is that both of these consoles were somewhat rushed to market, with both Sony and Microsoft attempting to one-up the other by getting it released first. My understanding is the Xbox One was a bit more rushed than the PS4 in order to release the console about the same time, hence why a number of the features that were announced back in May haven't made it in the released console (e.g. streaming live gameplay, Dolby Digital encoding + there's a feeling a few of the games have been rushed to meet launch date with Forza 5 for instance missing many things that were present in Forza 4).

Sony's strategy for the PS4 has always been "this is for the players" - it seems they are very much looking at this as a games console first and foremost (unlike with PS3), and therefore haven't concentrated on the media functions that everyone assumed would be part of it (because they were present in the PS3). I'm sure once they feel they've got the gaming side of the console nailed down and running smoothly, time and effort will then go into getting the media playback parts of the console sorted. From what I've read, the console seems to run more reliably than the Xbox One (assuming you're not getting the blue light issue!), with most people saying it runs lightning quick with no crashing. The Xbox One on the other hand seems to take a while to get going and has been known to crash on occasion.

This is my opinion based on what I've been reading over the past few months (though I would say I've been reading a lot about this in my anticipation!). It's certainly not all fact, but it makes more sense to me than either Sony / Microsoft deliberately leaving out features with some evil schemes of "fleecing" or conning their customers. As I've said, treating your customers with contempt this way is bad for business, and both Sony and Microsoft know this all too well. If anything, it's just down to bad planning / thoughtlessness (though more likely, it's a choice of getting "A" or "B" implemented for launch, so they've left out "B" for now), and I'm sure both systems' issues and shortcomings will be patched and remedied over time.
You sound very optomistic Prof,must be all that sea air your getting in Worthing.What sort of Property did you get then?Oh does the coffee taste better down there :grin:

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
RodhasGibson said:
You sound very optomistic Prof,must be all that sea air your getting in Worthing.

I do like it down here!

RodhasGibson said:
What sort of Property did you get then?Oh does the coffee taste better down there :grin:

We're in a rented first floor maisonette at the moment - still a bit to go before we've saved enough for deposit for new house. Coffee tastes good now we found the box which had the coffee machine's parts in it!!

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
We're in a rented first floor maisonette at the moment - still a bit to go before we've saved enough for deposit for new house. Coffee tastes good now we found the box which had the coffee machine's parts in it!!

Ha. well played Prof,hope you've got a sea view or are only a short stroll away.What's the broadband like there?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not quite a sea view, but it's only 10 to 15 mins stroll down the road (actually in Goring-By-Sea). And broadband is good - Plusnet fibre gives me up to 80 Mbps in theory, but I think it's actually about 40ish.

manicm

If Sony are marketing the PS4 as a purely gaming machine then I think they were incredibly stupid. They gleaned nothing from PS3 owners? Do people buy expensive smartphones only to make voice calls? Do they really think in this time of digital convergence they could count on a singularly-minded device that will be in people's lounges? Whoever marketed it as such ought to be summarily shot.

In 6 months time I may well get a PS4, but only if they fix up Blu-ray playback (gel posted a review which was not flattering in that regard, to understate a fact), and enable DNLA. There's no reason why anyone should have 2 Blu-ray devices in the same room. Movies should have been perfect out of the box at day one. Idiots.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
If Sony are marketing the PS4 as a purely gaming machine then I think they were incredibly stupid. They gleaned nothing from PS3 owners? Do people buy expensive smartphones only to make voice calls? Do they really think in this time of digital convergence they could count on a singularly-minded device that will be in people's lounges? Whoever marketed it as such ought to be summarily shot.

Not that I like to disagree, but with over one million sold within 24 hours (and an estimated 2.3 million on back order) in North America alone, I think they must be doing something right. We'll see how many units ship across Europe on Friday, but I suspect they're easily going to achieve the most successful console launch of all time.

So I suspect whoever was involved (including the person or persons who came up with marketing the console as "for the players") is feeling fairly safe in their job right now.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
professorhat said:
carter said:
My one is due on Friday but amazon still hasn't taken the money,will they email when it's been sent?

Yup, should do. Mine is the same - I suspect it will go out either later this evening or sometime early tomorrow morning.

Had my email half hour ago from SimplyGames to say its been shipped and is on its way.

:)

Unfortunately I have to go into the office tomorrow so have had to ask them to deliver to the next door neighboor, so shall be an anxious drive home from work while I wait to see if its turned up!!

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Message sent...could be a glitch on the update to order ,when in the help page it said select order and the ps4 wasn't there just the ue6000 from earlier today so I had to go back out and copy and paste the order number from my orders page however I've had no email confirmation.....maybe I should pop to Covent gardens.;-)

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
carter said:
Yeah....dispatched email revived and it's on the road with dpd :)

Lucky - mine's with Citylink. Hopefully it will be fine, but have had some bad experiences with them. DPD have always been spot on.
cant say I've had any problems with either courier but DPD defiantly seem to be highly regarded on the amazon boards.

now it's been updated it appears my ps4 was at the Birmingham depot at 7:30 I guess there a little busy tonight ;-)

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
My driver is making delivery 1 as we speak and I'm number 36 :) unfortunately I have to go christmas shopping today as it's my last not weekend day of before christmas so it's going to be left with next door......I'm sure when I booked today off it wasn't for shopping :-(

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Okay, I take it back - going on the Citylink website, they had a 2 hour estimated slot for delivery and it has arrived within that slot so top marks to them! Powered on and all working so far - software updated to 1.51 in matter of minutes, so no sign of PSN straining to cope at the moment.

Unfortunately I have lots of work to do today still so need to get that out of the way now!

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Am up and running, firmware update installed ok. Can't get on to PSN (says "network down for maintenance), so just going to jump into KillZone and see how it goes. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts