PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why it was originally taken off. Surely to attract the biggest potential market you want to be boasting that your new product can plait sawdust, not take existing features away. But what do I know.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
landzw said:
Lots of reports appearing on the big wide web of overheating and freezing issues concerning the PS4

You have a link for that?

All I've seen is an hdmi issue affecting 0.04% of consoles which Sony say is within acceptable limits for a news console.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
A Sony representative has provided the following statement to IGN:

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .4% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction."

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .4% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction."

You can always trust IGN to mess things up. Its 0.04% not 0.4%.

So for 1million consoles it would be 400 consoles with the problem. So 999,600 are fine.

There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than 0.04% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction."[/b]

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
With both consoles requiring day 1 software updates before they're even operational it was always going to be this way - both have been rushed to meet the Christmas sales date. That's not an excuse for either company, they've both had years to work on these and I'll be spitting chips if mine goes haywire within the first few days!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
professorhat said:

You can always trust IGN to mess things up. Its 0.04% not 0.4%.

So for 1million consoles it would be 400 consoles with the problem. So 999,600 are fine.

Actually, no, Sony messed up by saying 0.04% when they meant 0.4% (link to article)

Correction: Note that the statement originally provided to IGN by Sony mistakenly said ".04%." A Sony representative has now confirmed to IGN that this figure was provided in error, and it has been corrected to ".4%."

So 400 consoles out of 100,000 would be faulty (which is a much more realistic number!!)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
landzw said:
Lots of reports appearing on the big wide web of overheating and freezing issues concerning the PS4

You have a link for that?

All I've seen is an hdmi issue affecting 0.04% of consoles which Sony say is within acceptable limits for a news console.

Just Google it, there are now alot of people talking about it on other forums and a few reviews have picked up on it and there is also a clip on youtube, even the PS4 manual comes a section concerning overheating ( which is something that should not be happening )

Don't get me wrong people pick on the smallest of issues but it is something to keep an eye on, i was only told about it because my friend has both X1 and P4 on order but only allowed one and he just doesn't have a clue which one he will cancel and time is running out.

The same issue might arise with X1 with a CPU & GPU increase this could also lead to heating issues at a later date with demanding games who knows whats going to happen, i did pre order a PS4 at the beginning of the week with Killzone but have just decided to go with the original plan and just wait till things are sorted

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
landzw said:
Just Google it, there are now alot of people talking about it on other forums and a few reviews have picked up on it and there is also a clip on youtube, even the PS4 manual comes a section concerning overheating ( which is something that should not be happening )

These are several different issues - the overheating issue was first shouted about by lots of Microsoft fan boys a few weeks ago because a few PS4s that had been demonstrated and kept in plastic display cases overheated. This isn't surprising since there was no ventilation, and tests since have shown that there aren't really any issues with overheating if the PS4 is kept in a well ventilated area (such as on a rack in a living room for instance :) )

The current one being banded around by Xbox fan boys is a display issue, since about four or five consoles (or something like that) have shown some kind of error to people that got their consoles early on Wednesday. Sony's response to this issue is above - as it says, they don't think this is a general issue, but a variety of errors which have occurred on 0.4% of all the consoles they have shipped to this date. As a result, it shouldn't be anything to worry about (assuming Sony aren't lying through their teeth, which I doubt). We'll know soon enough when it's shipped to millions of people in the US today.

As you say, most of the ranting and wringing of hands is being done by the loyal Xbox fan boys, desperate to bad mouth Sony (or any other games console manufacturer for that matter) and have seen a great excuse to do so. Just as all the loyal Sony fan boys have been ranting and wringing their hands over the 720p resolution issues of the Xbox One. Best bet is pay no heed to either!

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
True Proffessorhat

As for X1 only playing in 720p and upscaling, Forza 5 has been comfirmed to play in native 1080p and at 60fps, which has now been comfirmed

I think its going to be another 10 years of my console is better than yours, with each console having there titles that shine more than the other but at the end of the day its not really enough to notice unless you have both console sitting side by side and your waisting your time looking for the imperfections when you should be playing and enjoying

My only worry are these little niggles like software and hardware that come to light after launch and my desire to purchase one of these console before we know whats what

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Some more good news for those that are confident with a screwdriver (link) - if you have an issue with your PS4 several years down the line (i.e. when it's deep out of warranty), looks like it will be a lot easier to fix it yourself and save a potentially expensive repair from Sony. iFixIt have given the PS4 a repairability score of 8 out of 10, meaning most of us basic techies who don't mind taking things apart with a screwdriver should be able to fix it.

This is unlike the PS3 which, while possible to repair yourself, had all sorts of adhesives and soldering required which tended to put most people off.

manicm

The truth is, Sony has been no less guilty of tampering with buyers' expectations than Microsoft - which caught a lot of flak in the media, only because Sony revealed nothing at the time of their equally draconian plans.

Now the real truth emerges. From what I've read the PS4 will be unquestionably the better gaming machine. And the Xbox One seems likely to be the superior general media hub.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
And the Xbox One seems likely to be the superior general media hub.

As long as you're happy to pay yearly for an Xbox Gold membership to access any of the online services of course. Give it 6 months and I reckon PS4 will support CD, MP3 and DLNA playback through firmware updates and, apart from being able to access your PVR through your PS4, will pretty much be in line with Xbox One, plus with the ability to access all the online services without a PS Plus subscription.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Yearly cost for Xbox live is only around £36, you can get it cheaper with extra months added if you look around though if you don't look around you can pay £40 per year

Its not bad for what you get gaming wise as it does feel a little better that PS3 online experiance but it is annoying that you have to have an online account to play added extras like netflix, lovefilm etc

I will try to hold out for next years summer holidays as this is when prices should drop slightly on both consoles and we will all know whats what

manicm

professorhat said:
manicm said:
And the Xbox One seems likely to be the superior general media hub.

As long as you're happy to pay yearly for an Xbox Gold membership to access any of the online services of course. Give it 6 months and I reckon PS4 will support CD, MP3 and DLNA playback through firmware updates and, apart from being able to access your PVR through your PS4, will pretty much be in line with Xbox One, plus with the ability to access all the online services without a PS Plus subscription.

The XBox Gold membership gives a lot more besides, and some will be compelled to take out the PS4 subscription as well if they want to play multiplayer - whatever it's called. And PS4 only considered adding those basic features after the public made a huge outcry. Don't fool yourself in anyway that Sony is looking out for the consumer any more than Microsoft.

So as far as fleecing the consumer goes - they both get the sh*t medal.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm said:
Don't fool yourself in anyway that Sony is looking out for the consumer any more than Microsoft.

So as far as fleecing the consumer goes - they both get the EDITED medal.

Not fooling myself at all - both are looking out for the consumer as much as possible whilst still maximising their profits - not looking out for the consumer is extremely bad for business and Sony and Microsoft are pretty good at listening to their customers. Neither are "fleecing the consumer" - they offer a product for a price and those that are happy to pay and feel they are getting value for money will do so. Those that don't, won't.

However, none of this changes my original point in that, considering the Xbox One purely as a media hub (i.e. ignoring the gaming side), you really need to take account of the Xbox Gold Live fee on top of any other subscriptions. With the PS4, you don't need this. Will many people pay for the subscriptions despite this in order to get online gaming? Yes, probably and especially those buying Day One. However, as per the PS3, many may purchase one of the consoles when they come down in price mostly for media playback, and they may well be surprised (and quite miffed) to find out they have to pay for this subscription to get online streaming services with the Xbox One if they haven't researched it properly.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, it's changed from the PS3 in that you now have to be a PS Plus member to play online. With PS Plus though, you also get access to free games each month, as you do with the PS3 and PS Vita - all with the same membership i.e. one PS Plus membership covers you for all consoles. Also, any other users who use the same PS4 as you at home can play online as long as the master account has the PS Plus membership (so you don't need to pay for membership for sub accounts as you did for Xbox 360 - not sure if you do for Xbox One though). The free games themselves normally make the membership worthwhile (from my experience with the PS3 offers).

Microsoft have just announced that Xbox Gold members will also get free games every month from some time next year.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
An ifixit teardown has also revealed that the PS4 has a secondary CPU with its own 256MB of DDR3 memory.

It is suspected that it is used for network tasks such as streaming, system updates, and background tasks. It is likely to be responsible for caching the last 15mins of playback and the future Gaikai streaming for PS3 games, taking the workload off the main CPU.

manicm

professorhat said:
manicm said:
Don't fool yourself in anyway that Sony is looking out for the consumer any more than Microsoft.

So as far as fleecing the consumer goes - they both get the EDITED medal.

Not fooling myself at all - both are looking out for the consumer as much as possible whilst still maximising their profits - not looking out for the consumer is extremely bad for business and Sony and Microsoft are pretty good at listening to their customers. Neither are "fleecing the consumer" - they offer a product for a price and those that are happy to pay and feel they are getting value for money will do so. Those that don't, won't.

However, none of this changes my original point in that, considering the Xbox One purely as a media hub (i.e. ignoring the gaming side), you really need to take account of the Xbox Gold Live fee on top of any other subscriptions. With the PS4, you don't need this. Will many people pay for the subscriptions despite this in order to get online gaming? Yes, probably and especially those buying Day One. However, as per the PS3, many may purchase one of the consoles when they come down in price mostly for media playback, and they may well be surprised (and quite miffed) to find out they have to pay for this subscription to get online streaming services with the Xbox One if they haven't researched it properly.

Microsoft and, to a lesser extent Sony, ARE fleecing the customer:

Let's start with the XB1 - they provide you with state-of-the-art hardware, and then expect you to cough up for something that's free on any other device i.e. using Skype??? Netflix??? Please! That's FLEECING.

Sony, at the start at least, cripple streaming, MP3 and CD playback!!!!!! They knew that many, many people, used the PS3 as a media hub, and they chose to totally ignore that??? Great way to maintain customer loyalty Sony - you've learned nothing.

Also, from other reviews I've read, blu-ray playback is sometimes proving to be buggy on the PS4.

Know what I'm gonna do?? Sit this one out for 6 months at least - till July. Cos I was hoping to replace my 751BD with one of these, but now's clearly not the time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts