PS4 removes CD, DLNA and MP3

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Why does this keep happening! |(

Sony have removed DLNA, MP3 compatibility and CD playback from the PS4! Expect there's going to be a few disappointed forumites as many use it for more than just games
Discuss

John Duncan

Depending on version, compatibility mode can fix it:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/about-the-new-site/important-notice-internet-explorer-users

Otherwise, try a proper browser like Chrome or Firefox :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hmm. I may have just switched back to Xbox in that case (assuming that "it" can do these things).

Massively stupid from Sony IMO.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Depending on version, compatibility mode can fix it:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/about-the-new-site/important-notice-internet-explorer-users

Otherwise, try a proper browser like Chrome or Firefox :)

I would but don't think work will let me :cry:

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
It's IE 9 Yeah they don't mind use of the internet but the system stops you from downloading any files so won't be able to install another browser. Shame because I use Chrome at home and much prefer it

EDIT: The disappearing post only seems to occur if I start a new thread

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, have just read through the mammoth FAQ blog, and it does specifically confirm the PS4 can't play CDs or MP3s. No mention of any other music format is made though (ALAC, FLAC, AAC etc. etc.), so we need to wait and see what this means. They're heavily pushing their "Music Unlimited" service, which you can use to stream music during gaming - not too surprising but if this is the only option, I can expect quite a lot of backlash over this.

So many things are still quite unclear and a lot of assumptions are being made by the media outlets e.g. many are reporting that USB storage cannot be used at all, but this isn't the case i.e. the FAQ specifically states that USB storage cannot be used to expand the PS4's storage i.e. be used to store installed games etc. It can however be used to install system updates (this is covered later on in the FAQ), so clearly it does support USB storage in some capacity, so we need some more clarity on exactly what USB storage can and cannot be used for. (NB - worth noting that, like the PS3, you can replace the internal hard disk for a larger one yourself, meaning it will be easy to whack in a 1 TB drive to give you a lot more storage for installing games - as per the Xbox 360, Microsoft will not let you do this).

I think the same is therefore true on playback of local music and videos. As I've said elsewhere, the one advantage we of the UK have with the release date being 2 weeks after the US date is, we'll get all the answers from people who actually have the device in their hands prior to making the decision to purchase or not.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
@ JD & BigBoss - thanks for the tips

Think it's an interesting move from Sony. They marketed the PS3 as a multimedia device which won it some favour in the non-gaming press (like What Hifi) but it'll be hard to push this now especially without MP3 compatibility which almost everyone uses. Presumably it'll reduce the cost of manufacturing each unit though

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's a weird decision, which I think is mostly driven by attempting to drive people towards subscribing to the "Music Unlimited" service (have to say I'm a little tempted having looked into it - if I could stream it to Sonos it would be a no brainer given it would be half the cost of Spotify).

Worth remembering, we don't know the Xbox One's capabilities on this yet. But we do know that Microsoft currently charge people for the Xbox Gold membership to use online services like Netflix and this will likely continue to the Xbox One, whereas we know online streaming services can be accessed without a PS Plus membership on PS4.

So there's no clear cut winner in terms of the best mutlimedia device at this stage - we just need to wait a few months and see where we are once the dust has cleared!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
It's a weird decision, which I think is mostly driven by attempting to drive people towards subscribing to the "Music Unlimited" service (have to say I'm a little tempted having looked into it - if I could stream it to Sonos it would be a no brainer given it would be half the cost of Spotify).

Worth remembering, we don't know the Xbox One's capabilities on this yet. But we do know that Microsoft currently charge people for the Xbox Gold membership to use online services like Netflix and this will likely continue to the Xbox One, whereas we know online streaming services can be accessed without a PS Plus membership on PS4.

So there's no clear cut winner in terms of the best mutlimedia device at this stage - we just need to wait a few months and see where we are once the dust has cleared!

I have a years subscription to Music Unlimited which was worth it for the knockdown price. But I still pay for Spotify...

Spotify is generally better quality, the software is better and has gapless playback.

The Sony product is very slow in comparison. And even if they claim 320 Kbps, I have definitely identified certain albums where the quality is lacking.

The subscription for online services is a puzzler, but I thing moot for many, as to get the most out of the consoles, you'll need to pay.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g said:
The subscription for online services is a puzzler, but I thing moot for many, as to get the most out of the consoles, you'll need to pay.

At this stage I'd agree that everyone who's buying a next gen console probably wants it for gaming, at least in part, and would therefore probably subscribe to the online services to do multiplayer. But I know a few people on the forum bought PS3s just because they could use them as all-in-one Blu-ray + online streaming / catchup service playback (back in the days when it was very uncommon for something to have all the services unavailable) and had no interest in games.

Those people aren't going to want to spend £40 a year with Microsoft, just so they can also get access to the online services, so might be more drawn to a PS4 instead (if of course, the current situation still exists when these consoles come down in price enough to warrant being used as such).

Lots of ifs and buts at the moment though! For the moment, I'd suggest the most common reason for choosing which console you buy is probably based on either (a) brand loyalty or (b) which exclusive games you prefer - personally I think some of the indie titles coming for the PS4 look far more interesting than just more exclusive 3rd person shooters, which I could take or leave, hence my decision to go with PS4. Nothing has come up to change my mind on that yet.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi professorhat,

I think that's a good point - surely no one who has pre-ordered a PS4 or XboxOne will be using it primarily for it's mutlimedia functions. They'll be gamers looking forward to the next-gen games.

Also agree with you regarding indie titles. Have been much more excited to play games like Gone Home, To The Moon etc then the latest blockbusters. This was part of the reason why I switched to PC gaming and Steam

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sony's president has acknowledged peoples concerns ont twitter and passed them onto the dev team "for future consideration".

So maybe they will be added back in a future update - certainly lack of DLNA would be a loss

Given the lastest news about BF4 and COD only being 720p on the Xbone - I dont think Sony should be too concerned.

Though this time round, I'm not rushing out to buy one - gonna see how the next couple of months play out.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Sony's president has acknowledged peoples concerns ont twitter and passed them onto the dev team "for future consideration".

So maybe they will be added back in a future update - certainly lack of DLNA would be a loss

Given the lastest news about BF4 and COD only being 720p on the Xbone - I dont think Sony should be too concerned.

Though this time round, I'm not rushing out to buy one - gonna see how the next couple of months play out.

+1 there AnotherJoe , i had the Xbox One on pre order but i decided to cancel and wait further down the line for more info on how both consoles perform and fingers crossed better deals

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Waiting seems the sensible option right now.

Lack of DLNA is a no no.

No MP3 or CD playback is a no no.

No external USB drives is a no no.

I was gonna pick up a PS4 as they are out first over here in Sweden, but definitely gonna leave it now and wait until I see the reviews and finalized specs.

Hoodedcrow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
We have an Xbox here at home and my daughter uses it regular enough and I may even decide to go blow some aliens up on occasion, but tbh I really don't think I want to buy into either companies marketing and money making schemes, refuse to buy one and vote with your wallet, you will see them change their policies quick enough.

It seems like one thing after another, I'll leave it at least for a year and hope both consuls die a death and serves them right, although probably unlikely maybe an alternative will come along or I'll go do something else with my time.

Saying this I do feel sorry for those people who have already put down a deposit on the Xbone or PS4, but for me I'm not buying into it, until they sort things out.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't really care about the other stuff,just want it to play games with no fuss,anything else it does is a bonus.

at only £350. I can't see it coming down for a long time.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
According to the latest reports Sony are now working to put MP3 and CD back into the PS4 due to the 'passionate' reaction from fans

It's interesting to see Microsoft and Sony capitulate to a bit of public pressure, although I assume they are more 'sensitive' to this just before the consoles are released through fear of missed sales. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to listen to the public a couple of years down the line

TRENDING THREADS