PS4 Just Read This ( surely Not )

Paul.

It's possible, but bare in mind that most of the time patents are written specifically to not reveal the company's true intentions. Its a bizare code to cover what you're doing, but not reveal too much. Patents are also filed defensively on stuff they don't want to release but don't want anyone else to release. But knowing Sony, yeah, they are going to screw you!

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm expecting to see Sony & Microsoft implementing account/library systems along the lines of Valve's Steam system - you buy a game, register the code against your user account and you can then play that title on any machine that you log into. For consoles you would simply log on to your account and then play a registered game using the original media or stored content. Bye Bye second hand game market.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
It is said that on the Wii U if you purchase a download game and sell the console on the buyer can redownload the games the previous owner had purchased. So it looks like the downloaded games on the Wii U are tied into the console,though its not been comfirmed by Nintendo so it could be a glitch

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Nintendo aren't very experienced in this sort of thing. The DS had the same problem. Games were tied to the machine and did not follow the account holder/purchaser. I subscribe to PS+ and don't buy games anymore, however, I don't expect Sony to go down this route.

If one console maker (Microsoft or Sony) were to do this, the other would simply become the most popular by not implementing it. For it to work the prices will have to come down. Services like Stream are popular because the prices are reasonable.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't they see that all this will do is create a black market for 'jailbroken' consoles and proliferate the distribution of illegally-copied hacked games? A bouyant used market was once seen as a positive thing by manufacturers because it made their machines more attractive to buyers; funny how that's changed.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
The people who make these games claim that pirates are no different to them than those who buy used games. Of course it's nonsense because one facilitates piracy but their argument is that they don't see any money from either.

Sony are clever in that their T&Cs prevent a class action lawsuit and they can lock you out of their network if you modify your console. Although they need to remember not everyone is connect to the WWW.

Industry experts don't expect Sony to implement this. If Sony were to do such a thing they would essentially be handing over the home console market to Microsoft and Nintendo.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
And by the very same token may sell them more consoles. If kids know they can be hacked and messed with, they'll be more likely to buy one.
I suppose it's one way of looking at it, but that's a mighty strange business model.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
The people who make these games claim that pirates are no different to them than those who buy used games. Of course it's nonsense because one facilitates piracy but their argument is that they don't see any money from either.

Sony are clever in that their T&Cs prevent a class action lawsuit and they can lock you out of their network if you modify your console. Although they need to remember not everyone is connect to the WWW.

Industry experts don't expect Sony to implement this. If Sony were to do such a thing they would essentially be handing over the home console market to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Saying that i think the xbox 720 ( or whatever its called ) is rumoured to require an internet connection before you can play a game

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am holding fire to see how the new consoles handle optical media, digital rights management and what they do to combat used sales. I am quite happy with the PS3 at present and am happy to put my dualshock down for good should Sony do anything silly.

At that point casual gaming via iPod/iPad etc will become my main gaming fix.

A

Anonymous

MajorFubar said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
And by the very same token may sell them more consoles. If kids know they can be hacked and messed with, they'll be more likely to buy one.
I suppose it's one way of looking at it, but that's a mighty strange business model.

Sony would be out of business in 6 months if this was the case. Sony operated with a hardware loss in the first few years of the PS3. Their profits come from the software sales. This is not going to change for the ps4.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts