PS3 Media Streming

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Evening. Wasn't sure what forum to post this in, so apologies if it's misplaced.

I've a lot of films / gigs / tv on a NetGear ReadyNas Duo that i stream around the house.

I recently let my sister have an S370 that was surplus to requirements as I only really used it from streaming. I thought I could just do this with the PS3, but it seems to have some random lip sync issues.

On every episode of Seinfeld, the lip sync goes out at exactly the point in the program where the advert break would be. During every episode of Family Guy it goes every ten seconds or so.

The only way to correct it is to rewind slightly and then play again.

The PS3 plays discs / games fine. And I can stream fine to all other rooms in the house (via blu ray player / TV). Everything's hard wired, no wireless involved. There's no processing turned on on that TV. Very confused.

Any clues? Is there any particular setting within the PS3 that affects media streaming?

(PS. Please don't judge me on program choice!)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Jammoe,

I have a Western Digital my book world editiom NAS and i stream to the PS3 with it, i've had no lip sync issues atall just a little stuttery when i first start a film or tv series for a couple of seconds then it's lovely and smooth even when using wifi into the bedroom (my PS3 is hard wired in the living room but i use wifi when i use it in the bedroom).

You could get round this if you have an amp with auto lip sync control by letting the amp sort it out for you but apart from that i don't think the PS3 has any settings for lip sync or anything that may help that i have found, all i can say is that my PS3 is great for streaming and i've not had the issue so perhaps the problem lies elsewhere? Sorry i can't be of more help
smiley-cry.gif

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Oldboy.

Unfortunately, it's just going into a stereo amp (from the outputs on the tv). No picture processing or anything on the TV. And the gap is by no means by a fixed amount even if i could set a delay.

Totally stumped!

A

Anonymous

hi all soz to piggy bank on you post but does the ps3 play networked .mkv files. thanx

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
AVstu said:
hi all soz to piggy bank on you post but does the ps3 play networked .mkv files. thanx

No it doesn't AVstu i'm afraid
smiley-cry.gif
much to my annoyance as it seems stupid to omit MKV support which is in essence a HD file from a HD console but i think the inclusion of the BD drive may explain that, with Sony wishing to push the format into our homes! Here is a list of supported files for you though:
Types of files that can be played
The following types of files can be played under
in_video.gif
(Video).
  • Memory Stick Video Format- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • MP4 file format- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
  • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
  • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
  • MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
  • MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
  • AVI- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
  • AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
  • DivX
  • WMV- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

Hope that is of some help to you.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Jammoe said:
Thanks, Oldboy.

Unfortunately, it's just going into a stereo amp (from the outputs on the tv). No picture processing or anything on the TV. And the gap is by no means by a fixed amount even if i could set a delay.

Totally stumped!

That's a shame as an av amp may have helped. The only problem is that there could be any number of reasons for the lip sync issue such as file format, your home network, cables, your NAS drive or the way you rip/copy files....the list goes on! I would suggest starting with your NAS drive and contact customer support from the manufacturer to see if it's a known issue with that particular drive when streaming to a PS3.

Just out of interest does the lip sync issue occur no matter what you are watching or is it confined to certain films/tv shows etc? It's a strange issue but may be worth googling it to see what comes back OR try the official Playstation Forum for more advice, i won't put a link in as i think it may break the house rules with it being another forum but it's very easy to find with a quick search
smiley-wink.gif

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy,

Thanks for your continued replies. I had a play around with a few things last night.

It's definitely the PS3's fault. The sync always fails in the same place of a given programme. But some programmes are worse than others. And some have no issues.

I still have my old Denon 2309, so i put that in instead of the amp. So the TV was out of the equation audio-wise. Still exactly the same problems in the same places.

Took the Sony 570 upstairs to use instead of the PS3 and everything is perfect. So i'll keep that setup for now.

Still confused though(!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts