PS3 help

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I managed to get hold of a PS3 from Sainsbury's, the last one from all of my local stores in fact!

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Which HDMI cable do you recommend to get it connected to my Denon 1910?

2. How do I setup my PS3, Denon 1910 and Kuro 5090 to get the best picture and sound? The 1910 was displaying 'Multi In' when I was playing a Blu-ray on it.

Thanks,

Pindi

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
'you tube it' type in ps3 settings or ps3 blu-ray settings etc, theres a few on there like ign etc that offer advice on settings for you to try.

as for a lead, aparantly the genuine sony hdmi lead is pretty good for it at about £17 afaik on play dot com. I bought ixos hdmi from richer sounds that was ps3/blu-ray approved to carry the required signal/deep colour etc, so just bare it in mind what signal you need to get to the amp then of course to the screen.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
1. TBH, any will do. Over a short length, no cable should fail to pass 1080p/24fps. Forget deep colour, which basically exists on spec sheets only. I recommend the hdcable.co.uk pro2 cable, I use a couple in my own system, it comes with a lifetime warranty, its well made and speedy delivery. The current latest specs for HDMI is category 2 speed rating, although HDMI v1.4 cables are starting to appear but no HDMI v1.4 equipment is available to actually use them, so you just need a cat2 cable.

2. It sounds like you have the PS3 set to LPCM. This means the PS3 is doing the decoding, which technically should be the same as the amp. On some discs, if you want to use secondary audio i.e. picture in picture, commentary and BD Live features, the decoding will have to be done in the player but most people aren't interested in this and want the lights to light up on their amp, so set the PS3 up as follows:

Select Sound Settings

Select HDMI

Select Auto

Tick all DD/DTS/PCM boxes (up to 7.1) and save the settings

Go to the BD/DVD settings

Select audio output format as bitstream and save the settings

The amp should be in auto mode so that it decodes what is input but it sounds like it is.

Buy a copy of DVE to calibrate your screen or use the free calibration tools found on some THX or Pixar discs and run on the PS3 to calibrate your screen to the optimum settings. There should be some settings on some of the HD TV websites to get you started but not everyone's room is the same, so tweak.

kPfRLewAJVEQ0AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As mentioned, the bit i forgot! if you plug your ps3 slim in with a hdmi just go to the settings & pick it to auto & it will do it for you, i.e mine new i had a 1080p t.v & that the amp will do all the sound decoding etc that the ps3 can do. Just save the auto hdmi settings and all should be good.

There are a few other tweeks recommended in settings to get the best out of it, again you tube them i cant fully remember them!

Edit to say, i personally would not get 'any' hdmi to plug it in & use it, but thats upto peoples own preferance. I want to get the most out of the ps3 etc & my t.v so im using 1.3b cables which are capable of doing what i need. 1.3c is the next step but unlikely to require them at present. Another way of looking at it is getting £5k of B&W speakers & use bell wire from amp to speakers, your not really going to get the best from them even though they will work....

If you decide to get a hdmi from hdcables as mentioned, yes the cheap one will do but again its upto personal preferance & i would spend the extra couple of quid & get the Platinum lead 1.3b certified. It would be a shame to loose out on any quality from a good ps3 & tv that you have for the sake of a few pounds. (not there is anything wrong with that cheaper one....) its just for my own preferance i would get the 'better' certified 1.3b -

By the way they are a great price, i wish i had found that site!!!!!
emotion-21.gif

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys
emotion-21.gif

I've just purchased 2 HDMI leads from thatcable (one for Sky HD), highly recommended by What Hifi
emotion-1.gif
. Great price too, £9.98 in total.

I've also just purchased the Tacima Mains Conditioner from Amazon, £22.99.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
tj27:Edit to say, i personally would not get 'any' hdmi to plug it in & use it, but thats upto peoples own preferance. I want to get the most out of the ps3 etc & my t.v so im using 1.3b cables which are capable of doing what i need. 1.3c is the next step but unlikely to require them at present. Another way of looking at it is getting £5k of B&W speakers & use bell wire from amp to speakers, your not really going to get the best from them even though they will work....
If you decide to get a hdmi from hdcables as mentioned, yes the cheap one will do but again its upto personal preferance & i would spend the extra couple of quid & get the Platinum lead 1.3b certified. It would be a shame to loose out on any quality from a good ps3 & tv that you have for the sake of a few pounds. (not there is anything wrong with that cheaper one....) its just for my own preferance i would get the 'better' certified 1.3b -

Just to add, 1.3a, 1.3b and 1.3c and so on has nothing to do with the cables whatsoever. This applies to the equipment only. Cables are categorised as speed rating 1 and 2. Cat 2 are high speed cables. The following resources explain.

What is HDMI article?

HDMI FAQ Cable Speed Ratings

HDMI v1.3 FAQ

HDMI Spec Versions

HDMI Cable Speed Ratings

kPfRLewAJVEQ0AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

A

Anonymous

Hi Pindi,

I'm not sure which version of the PS3 you have (original or slim). If you have the Slim then your in luck as you can set everything to go through the HDMI socket which wil give you HD sound and Picture. However if you have a original PS3 then like me you will have to set the audio settings to LPCM and NOT Bitstream as the original can't manage bitstreaming. If you have the original on your amp when you are producing a hi def audio the amp will say "Multich" but if you have the Slim you can get the amp to do the decoding and then it'll light up and tell you which HD stream your playing. Like you I have a 5090 too and an original PS3 (60 gig). On another site there is a really good guide for the original ps3. I have this link on me which will help.

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd-101-how-to-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd-with-your-ps3/2

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks brolly.

I have the slim, but it's still being temperamental! I'll get round it though.

I played Call of Duty - World at War on it last night, I was blown away by the sound!
emotion-2.gif

That means I must be getting HD sound.

A

Anonymous

Haha much to most people's dismay I am not a call of duty fan so i won't be getting modern warfare 2 (I can just imagine this is asking for flack) but what i can tel you. If you have your ps3 setting the audio to go through HDMI as well as your picture (I'm asuming your amp will take HDMI 1.3) then when you flick the PS3 and get a HD audio source going through your amp should light up telling you its playing HD sound DTS master audio and Dolby Digital HD Sound. on my onkyo 876 that would happen so if you see something like that happening on your amp your know your getting HD audio. Another way to verify this is put in a Blu Ray disc and when the movie is playing press select on the PS3 and a bar will come up telling you what audio format the video is being played in and the bit rate.

As you have a slim set your settings to Bitstream but tell the amp to do the decoding otherwise you'll still end up with "Mulich" but even that will suffice. As i don't have a slim :( (i opted fot 60 gb model) I have to make do with Multich. Hope this helps :)

Regards

'Sim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts