PS3 + HDMI + Yamaha RX-V667 (7.1): Bitstream vs PCM

ChrisWaller

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently upgraded my A/V Amp to one that supports HDMI. I'm a little puzzled over what my audio output setting should be on my PS3.

I know that the simple difference between bitstream and linear PCM is that the first decodes on the Amp and the second decodes on the PS3. But which is the best to use in practice - particularly with my setup of a 7.1 amp that supports HD codecs and is connected via HDMI?

Bitstream sounds beafier, but I'm not sure it's outputting all the different HD soundtracks that I'd like (for instance on the Clone Wars blu-ray it output DD EX (6.1) rather than DD TrueHD (5.1)). So I've therefore opted for PCM.

Is this the right decision?

festing11

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
I believe the best option is to let your av amp do all the decoding as thats what is for really. Have exactly the same amp and a ps3 like you and thats what ive done!

ChrisWaller:
Cool. I have a slim.

Like I say, still a bit confused that I only seemed to get Dolby Digital EX via bitstream on the Clone Wars bluray.

If your PS3 decodes audio (i.e, setting it to PCM), your amp will not show "Dolby Digital". But it's still Dolby Digital. This will show up only when your amp decodes it, by setting your PS3 to bitstream.

ChrisWaller

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice.

I've now received the definitive answer from yamaha and those that suggested bitstream were correct. Must say that I've been very impressed with yamaha's support, as well as the efforts from the people on this forum. I've included the answer from yamaha in case it is of any use to anyone else who's mulling over the conundrum:

"Dear Mr Waller,
Thanks for your email and for your interest in Yamaha A/V & Hi-fi.

With regards to your question, the PS3 slim should be set to bitstream and then all of the boxes ticked in the PS3's menu (Dolby Tru-HD and DTS HD etc)
you will also find some Blu-ray disc's you will have to enable the HD sound track from the movies own audio selection.
Select "straight" on your Yamaha's remote control and then you are hearing the movie just as the director intended.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Yamaha Technical A/V"

dirtydean

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
ChrisWaller:
Thanks all for your advice.

I've now received the definitive answer from yamaha and those that suggested bitstream were correct. Must say that I've been very impressed with yamaha's support, as well as the efforts from the people on this forum. I've included the answer from yamaha in case it is of any use to anyone else who's mulling over the conundrum:

"Dear Mr Waller,
Thanks for your email and for your interest in Yamaha A/V & Hi-fi.

With regards to your question, the PS3 slim should be set to bitstream and then all of the boxes ticked in the PS3's menu (Dolby Tru-HD and DTS HD etc)
you will also find some Blu-ray disc's you will have to enable the HD sound track from the movies own audio selection.
Select "straight" on your Yamaha's remote control and then you are hearing the movie just as the director intended.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Yamaha Technical A/V"
Glad your sorted, very satisfying than when the dts HD lights up on your amp.
Enjoy

TRENDING THREADS