Ps3 Conected to Onkyo 606

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok guys please please help?????? I have a Ps3 connected to my new Onkyo 606 cinema receiver, via HDMI cable for the sound and picture., The problem is I cant get the onkyo 606 to show up or light up when playing Dts-hd-audio ive set the Ps3 to pcm and bitstream but still no joy. When watching the blu-ray film in dts-hd-audio i can see that the ps3 is transmitting the audio in 6.1 dts-audio, but still my onkyo receiver still wont light up Dts-hd-audio, I'm so so confussed, i'm now banging my head against the wall, why won't my onkyo receiver show the hd-audio on the display, please help, It would also be so so helpfull if you could also give me the settings for the Ps3 and the onkyo 606 maybe that will help too, Any Suggestions
emotion-42.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The Onkyo won't show DTS-HD or anything other than PCM.....cos that's what the PS3 is streaming to it.

Tell you what you do. Stick in a disk with a THX optimser on it and run the audio test. If the PS3/Onk aren't set up right the THX audio test will fail (eg the wrong speakers will be playing during the test).

I think all of the pixar movies have the THX optimiser on them.

Tell us how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for the replay, So in that case then would'nt it be wise for sony to sort out some kind of firmware for the Ps3 so that you have an option in the settings to turn off the internal decoder on the Ps3 and that all hd-audio receivers will decode the audio itself and then display dts-audio etc on the amp

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
You don't have to stream Linear PCM. You can use Bitstream instead. But I think you are better off sticking with LPCM.

A

Anonymous

Yes you can do that However on the onkyo amp if you press display on the remote when playing a film it then only say 5.1 but if you use LPCM then the display say's 7.1, however i'm still only getting 48khz and thats also comming from the ps3 as well I thought that all audio on blu-ray discs using dts-hd was 192khz mmmmmmm still a bit confused, what are all your settings on includding ps3 and onkyo?????

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Sony have decided, in their wisdom, not to allow HD audio bitstreaming from the PS3. So your choices are either to have the HD audio decoded internally and sent out over the HDMI as PCM, or you can elect to bitstream, in which case, only the Dolby Digital / DTS core mix is sent to the amp, not the full TrueHD / DTS HD format.
Their excuse for this is, the cell in the PS3 is so powerful, it will do the job better than any decoder on an amp could. I suspect it's because they need to hold something in reserve for their stand-alone Blu-Ray players of around the same budget. Of course they may one day release a firmware patch which changes this, you never know!

A

Anonymous

Ok i understand everything now, however, how do we all realli know that were getting full hd-audio through the amp, Even though the ps3 is decoding it first, we are all relying on the ps3 has it all correct because the amp won't show the correct format of the hd-audio, I think the ps3 should have a firmware upgrade and give the people a choice to on or off the on board decoding, at the end of the day the ps3 was not cheap and sony owe it to us to have the best of all choice in the options menu's come on sony let us decide for ourselfs

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
hans35:Ok i understand everything now, however, how do we all realli know that were getting full hd-audio through the amp, Even though the ps3 is decoding it first, we are all relying on the ps3 has it all correct because the amp won't show the correct format of the hd-audio, I think the ps3 should have a firmware upgrade and give the people a choice to on or off the on board decoding, at the end of the day the ps3 was not cheap and sony owe it to us to have the best of all choice in the options menu's come on sony let us decide for ourselfs

Considering what you got in the original PS3 I would say it was astoundingly cheap.

But apparently the PS3 is not physically able to bitstream HD audio anyway.

The PS3 now decodes both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA internally (outputting it as L-PCM), but a hardware limitation prevents it from bit-streaming the advanced audio codecs to the receiver.

A

Anonymous

thats really annoying that it doesnt work properly its one of the reasons i bought the onkyo was to decode the hd audio!

A

Anonymous

I also asked the same question when I updated my ps3. I was a bit frustrated that my onkyo 606 only showed 'multichannel' and not the HD sound. Nevertheless, the audio improved a lot upon downloading the firmware. If you press the select button on the left portion of your ps3 remote controller you can see on your screen the hd audio that the ps3 has decoded internally. However, it will only send it to your onkyo 606 receiver as Linear PCM. Only stand-alone blue-ray players can make the HD audio appear in your Onkyo receiver. You're right! There should be a firmware update regarding this matter. Hopefully.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts