ps3 and true hd

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi ive just bought Sony STR-DA2400ES and kef 2005.3 to go with my ps3

am i going to get true hd or dts hd sound using my ps3 or do i have to buy a stand alone bluray player to get the

best sound possibe

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hey NCmorgan,

The PS3 will decode all the formats but it will send the audio it decodes to the receiver.as PCM. It will not send the raw data for the sony to decode using it's internal dacs.

If the sony 2400ES has better decoding than the PS3 then you will not get to take advantage of this.

So the next question is going to be... Does the sony PS3 have better decoding than the Sony 2400ES? ( I don't know this answer) Hopefully some one will answer this.

A

Anonymous

i think ive just found what i was looking for on forum,i belive that the ps3 will do the work and set to linear it will pass the hd sound out as pcm which the amp will display,the sound will still be true hd or dts which ever disc you are playing.

cant wait to give all a test when i get my amp on the 19th of this month,any one got this set up ( what is it like )

speakers have been sat waiting for two months now cant wait

A

Anonymous

Boca:

Hey NCmorgan,

The PS3 will decode all the formats but it will send the audio it decodes to the receiver.as PCM. It will not send the raw data for the sony to decode using it's internal dacs.

If the sony 2400ES has better decoding than the PS3 then you will not get to take advantage of this.

So the next question is going to be... Does the sony PS3 have better decoding than the Sony 2400ES? ( I don't know this answer) Hopefully some one will answer this.

hi thanks we posted at the same time,do you think the amp will decode again after the ps3 has done it

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
No the amp will take the decoded info and send it out to the speakers, basically the Ps3 will act as the decoder and the avr will just be used as the amplifier. ( bypassing the Preamp/decoders in the Sony 2400ES.)

That was why I was saying the 2400ES may have better Preamp decoding of the audio but the PS3 will not let you use this.

I am not saying the PS3 isn't good but it has been out long enough that the competition has had time to make better units out their. I use a PS3 and I would'nt sell it for the world. Too many other good things it can do. but how much more do you have to spend to get better/ or significantly better is another question.

A

Anonymous

Boca:
That was why I was saying the 2400ES may have better Preamp decoding of the audio but the PS3 will not let you use this.

I am not saying the PS3 isn't good but it has been out long enough that the competition has had time to make better units out their. I use a PS3 and I would'nt sell it for the world. Too many other good things it can do. but how much more do you have to spend to get better/ or significantly better is another question.

The decoding should be identical as there can only be one correct set of data from the codec. From that perspective it shouldn't make any difference as you can't achieve better decoding than reference. Some features supported by Blu-ray audio require decoding and mixing of seperate HD and/or SD audio streams in the player but bistream output does not support this. There may be other factors that affect perceived audio difference between bitstream and LPCM but decoding doesn't appear to be one of them.

A

Anonymous

hi, i bought a Yamaha 861 amp last year to go with my PS3 as after researching around i didnt need an amp to decode the hi def audio. I must admit the difference in HD audio is brill and with HD pics its awesome. Big difference from my previous dvd all in one 5.1 system.

just saving up for new tv to improve picture quality to match the audio. am sure you will be impressed.

A

Anonymous

thanks for all your repleys i understand now,i have allways had all in one sony gear before now and decided to go down the seprate route ,i think thats why it a bit un none.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts