Project Genie MK3 Skipping Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm still quite new to the world of vinyl so apologies for anything silly I may say in the below!

I've recently bought a Project Genie 3, and have it hooked up to my hi-fi via a preamp. However, I am having problems with records skipping and looping the same split second of music. Strangely this doesn't happen on all records, and on the records it does happen on, it seems to do it at certain parts of the song. I've tried adjusting the arm weight which has helped the problem slightly, but I'm not sure how safe it is having the weight so much higher than it's supposed to be.

Basically, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to do to fix the problem, which I'm sure shouldn't be happening as the MK3 is apparently a pretty good bit of kit. I don't think it's a problem with my records as most of them are new. I've read it could be a problem with vibrations causing the needle to jolt about in which case, what would be the best way to fix that?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as i'm at a bit of a loss!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds to me like you either have the counterweight installed incorrectly, so you're not getting as much tracking weight as you think you are, or the anti-skating weight setting is wrong.

Have another look at the manual for instructions on how to set these up correctly.

It's also possible the records on which the problem is apparent have some dirt in the grooves which is causing the stylus to skip back one revolution. Might be worth investing in some kind of record-cleaning brush!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Set it up again as if you had just removed from the box for the first time. Follow the instructions to the letter - especially regarding the anti-skate/bias setting - and ensure that the deck is on a totally level surface.
Manuals here.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've had a few records jump badly and it's been caused by grime in the grooves.

Try cleaning the worst behaved disc by wetting a kitchen sponge with a few drops of washing up liquid on it with warm water. Run this around the disc, following the run of the grooves, a few times and then use an absorbent cloth to dry the record afterwards and then play the disc immediately. The fluid will have loosened the grime deep inside the grooves, and then when you play the disc, the stylus will act like a snow plough, pushing it all out. You may be surprised how much comes out. Just make sure you get the grime off the stylus after playing (I use a stylus brush for this), and gently pat it dry with kitchen towel or the like.

Hope it sorts it out for you.

Good luck, mate.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Try cleaning the worst behaved disc by wetting a kitchen sponge with a few drops of washing up liquid on it with warm water. Run this around the disc, following the run of the grooves, a few times and then use an absorbent cloth to dry the record afterwards and then play the disc immediately. The fluid will have loosened the grime deep inside the grooves, and then when you play the disc, the stylus will act like a snow plough, pushing it all out. You may be surprised how much comes out. Just make sure you get the grime off the stylus after playing (I use a stylus brush for this), and gently pat it dry with kitchen towel or the like.

Alternatively clean them safely.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
chebby:

bretty:Try cleaning the worst behaved disc by wetting a kitchen sponge with a few drops of washing up liquid on it with warm water. Run this around the disc, following the run of the grooves, a few times and then use an absorbent cloth to dry the record afterwards and then play the disc immediately. The fluid will have loosened the grime deep inside the grooves, and then when you play the disc, the stylus will act like a snow plough, pushing it all out. You may be surprised how much comes out. Just make sure you get the grime off the stylus after playing (I use a stylus brush for this), and gently pat it dry with kitchen towel or the like.

Alternatively clean them safely.

If you're going to recommend that he wastes his money, at least get him the best deal:

Here

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
For dog's sake Bretty, you've never used the damn thing, until you have, your opinion is worthless.

I've got one, if you use it properly, it works beautifully, way better than using a delicate stylus like a snowplough, which is just insane...

A

Anonymous

The knosti cleans and keeps the records free from static (making them much easier to keep pristine after the clean) - the fairy /warm water option is only cleaning them so I don't think it is fair to compare them. Also not sure how the fairy/warm water will affect the records/stylus long term....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not to mention that the bretty method mentioned above seems a very good way to ensure liquid migrates up the cantilever and does a mischief to your cartridge's 'motor'...

A

Anonymous

Thanks so much for your replies!

I've tried taking the thing apart and starting again making sure the anti skating and counterweight were both set up properly, but that hasn't seemed to help. I'll invest in some kind of cleaner for my records to see if that helps, but I'm not too confident as like I said, some of the records that are skipping are brand new.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

I've got one, if you use it properly, it works beautifully, way better than using a delicate stylus like a snowplough, which is just insane...

I'll second that. My Knosti cleans up my LP's a treat. When the supplied cleaning fluid is too mucky just mix up your own brew, and you're good to go again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MeanMrCustard: I've tried taking the thing apart and starting again making sure the anti skating and counterweight were both set up properly, but that hasn't seemed to help. I'll invest in some kind of cleaner for my records to see if that helps, but I'm not too confident as like I said, some of the records that are skipping are brand new.

Given what you have said about some of the records being new then I would refer this back to your dealer or Henley Designs.

I don't think cleaning is going to fix this one. It is probably an alignment/anti-skate/tracking weight issue.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
My gut feeling is its either a sticky pivot (maybe a tiny bit of muck in it that pleases itself when to show its face) or perhaps one of the internal phono cables has been badly dressed and is fouling the inside of the arm pillar . Either way i would follow Chebbys advice and give your dealer a call.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again for your help, sorry for the slow reply, been away for the last few days.

I ordered the kit from Richer Sounds, if I gave them a call, what would they likely do? Do they offer an installation service?

RE: Gregory, I'm based in Ealing, West London.

A

Anonymous

Oh, and something I forgot to add earlier.

I've noticed that most of the skipping seems to happen at the end of a side, so when the stylus is near the middle of the vinyl. Don't know if that's significant?

A

Anonymous

I have the same issues myself with a genie 3 and was thinking it was the OMB3E cartridge at fault!

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Did this problem get sorted? If so what was the solution? I too have a project Genie III that jumps unexpectedly on new vinyl. have been looking at upgrading the stylus to an ortofon 2M red in the hope that this will sort it - better stylus would have better tracking on the vinyl ???. It's rare that I'm able to play through a single side without the needle jumping. A tip I found was to add a bit more downforce to the counterweight, than the recommended setting from the scale supplied.

Is it possible to upgrade the antiskate on the Genie 3 if this is an issue? ... probably not.

matthewpiano

Got to say, mine doesn't jump at all and I'm only using the stock stylus at present. The deck is, however, firmly planted on the top of a very solid Blok 300 stand, the straightness of which I've checked with a spirit level (to make sure there isn't any sloping in the floor).

In fact, after careful set-up, running through the HFN Test LP suggests that the little Ortofon is tracking extremely well for what it is, and considering it is on a relatively basic turntable.

How have you got your deck set up?

TRENDING THREADS