Project Esprit...Set Up

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
I'm just wondering if i've set up this correctly , especialy the arm part of the process , the counter weight is set back on the arm and the downforce adjuster is set to 17 as suggested by the manual.

I'm not to sure on the stylus adjustment though , is anyone familiar with the set up of turntables etc?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
depending on your cartridge and what weight it tracks at, lets say 1.75gms adjust the weight so the arm is just floating above the playing surface about 1mm set the weight and anti skate to zero dial in 1.75 on the counterweigt and the same for the anti skate. this should do the trick. i know projects use microns as opposed to grams but 17 should equate to 1.7 gms. let us know how you get on and come back if you need further help. you could try the vinyl engine, they have a wealth of info on projects.

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
On the instructions it says the downforce is 17,5mN (pre fitted ortofon om 5e) .

The bit i'm a little unsure about is setting the arm so it floats above the surface , do you do the with the arm in the up positon , do the adjustments then lower it and the test on the vinyl to see how it sounds?.

I'm actually using it at the moment and to me it sounds ok , but i'm just wondering if i had missed anything on the initial setting up etc.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
17.5mn equates to 1.75gms, put an old record on the platter with the arm rest down then rotate the counter weight so it just floats over the record about 1mm. it's best to have an old record on the platter so that the stylus does not get snagged on the felt mat. with the arm just loating above the record set the dial to zero against the marker line. this sets the zero balance then dial the recommended tracking force for your cartridge,17.5 on the project then set the bias to the same amount. it's better to have a little more tracking force than to little as the stylus can jump out of the grooves but if you have followed the instructions and the deck is level there should be no problems.

james67

Aug 19, 2007
Visit site
It is quite difficult and awkward to set up , i had a bit of a problem setting the 1mm point , plus the arm tends to drift towards it rest and outwards .

I managed to correct that and adjusted the counterweight after that.

I presume the final part is how everything sounds if the detail is there and the "presence and wieght" to the sound is okay, then i assume its more of an ear test as well as anything else?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts