Project debut esprit acrylic platter

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I recently purchased and set up a project debut esprit turntable, it was playing fine for a few hours but now the acrylic platter is hitting the surface of either the hub or the motor top and creating a clicking/grinding noise. Also every time i try to lift the platter off, the hub also lifts up like its stuck to the underside of the platter.

I've checked through some other posts and can't seem to find anything that may help. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a possible solution?
please.gif
I'd be really grateful of any advise.

Thanks

Summy

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the acrylic platter with my debut, and have also found that the hub sticks to it when lifting it up. I assume it's just because it's a fairly tight fit and just needs a nudge to separate them.

I had a bit of a problem when I swapped the pulleys to use 78s, and had a similar experience of noise. My only suggestion would be to adjust the screw on the pulley to see if height makes a difference. With a bit of patience the noise went away with mine.

Good luck!

scene

Hi summy, and welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your turntable. I'm assuming the turn table is level, as you may get some odd problems if it isn't.

The platter should lift off reasonably easily - you need to to change the speeds. Try pressing down gently on the spindle while lifting the turntable gently, to see if this helps. It is a snug fit, if it wasn't you'd get wobble that would effect your music.

One possibility is that the belt has lifted a little and is catching. Once you get the platter off, it should be easy to check this. If you do need to adjust the belt, either wear a latex glove, or wipe the belt with some kitchen towel as grease from your fingers will reduce the lifespan of the belt.

Oh yes, if you got this from new, did you remove the transport screws securing the motor?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for both of your responses. I'm still trying to get used to the turntable way. Yeah it's sitting on a flat level surface and I have removed the transport screws. I think the pulley is sitting to high, I shall try what you suggested and see if I can lower it slightly hopefully this will remedy the problem and the I can enjoy finally listening to some records

A

Anonymous

Sorry another quick question. Where about are the screws to adjust the pulley I don't wanted tobe taking apart the wrong bit

Thanks

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
willgaunt:
I'm using the acrylic platter with my debut...

I had a bit of a problem when I swapped the pulleys to use 78s...

Hi Will

Like you I have a Debut 3 that I've put an acrylic platter on - but also like you we have a load of 78's (my wife inherited them). We keep talking about getting round to setting up the turntable to play 78's; and I'm aware that if I want to play all 3 speeds I'll need to get a speedbox, a 78 pulley and an OM 78 stylus.

My question is - are you using a real Ortophon 78 stylus or one of those bloggs makes from e-bay that cost about £14, and how would you rate the sound quality?

Thanks

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I use the real Ortofon 78 stylus. I haven't seen the ones on ebay otherwise I might have tried one - no great loss if it's no good! I'm not sure how well placed I am to judge on the sound quality, as most of my (few) 78s are bought for curiosity/rarity value, and aren't the highest quality in the first place. What I can say is that I was surprised how decent (within reason) a 1909 recording managed to sound. I think I might need a few 'late' 78s to make a more accurate call. I am almost more tempted to get a gramophone...

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Will

Does seem some folks swear by playing 78's on the original gramophones - even wind up ones. I have been told that the sound is nothing like the sound we can get from hi fi - and another problem with gramophones that I've been told is that there are many types of needles - for different types of music - and a needle will only last for about 4 plays.

Not that I know any of this from experiance

A

Anonymous

Ah thanks for that. Managed to sort it all out, just had to lower the pulley slightly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts