Question Pro-Ject 1Xpression iii lopsided platter - Facebook purchase

moonklash

Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm new to hi-fi so apologies if I get any of the terminology wrong.

I've just started out on my hi-fi journey using whatever I can beg, borrow, or buy second hand. I picked up a cheap Pro-Ject 1Xpression iii this weekend from Facebook Marketplace but didn't check it properly. I've now discovered some problems - I was wondering if anybody could offer any advise on if this is repairable and what I should do next?

I've used a spirit level to make sure that the surface and the plinth are level. However, the platter looks lopsided and when I switch her on, it grinds against the plinth:

20220217_123227.jpg

This could have happened whilst transporting it home, but I don't believe so as I can see a light scratch on the plinth:

20220217_123532.jpg

Removing the platter, the subplatter looks lopsided:

20220217_123311.jpg

There's a lot of play within the subplatter (don't know if this is normal). I can push it to the right, but it slumps back to the left. I can lift it up a short distance (again, don't know how much of this is normal).

20220217_123317.jpg

20220217_123329.jpg

It does turn on, and the motor is very quiet. However I can hear the platter grinding and I didn't want to play any vinyl for more than a few seconds as I was concerned it would damage the vinyl and stylus.

I don't suppose anybody can offer any advise as to whether there's something I can / should be doing to fix this? I'm not entirely sure that the seller would let me return this.

Many thanks in advance,

Stu.

EDIT: I've recorded a short video to demonstrate this -https://youtu.be/cnEI0ai8fj0

Last edited:

moonklash

Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
Ah drat - I was hoping there would be something I was obviously doing wrong.

I'm not sure how amenable the seller will be to a return and it was quite a drive, so I'm initially focus on seeing if it can be repaired. I spent £130 on this (which I understand is good for this model if it were working) so it won't be *so* bad if I have to spend a little more on parts. One of those things - if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

I'll mull it over and research how to remove the sub platter in the meantime. Hoping there's an easy fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

moonklash

Feb 17, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - I hadn't realised that the sub platter lifted out; removing that, there were three screws, which were loose -

20220217_154056.jpg

I removed two screws on the bottom so I could remove a housing and tighten the nuts on the three above. Reassembled and.. seems to be working perfectly :)

Although that said, I did find some mysterious pieces of plastic after in my working area:

20220217_160653.jpg

I'm not sure if they came from the turntable, were already in my working area without me noticing, or if it was just junk that had fallen inside from the previous owner. If anybody recognises these then I'd love to know what they're for.

But that aside it seems to be working perfectly! Really pleased! Although now I just need to get some more vinyl 🤣

Thanks for the advice and support along the way - some how makes it less scary when there's other people to talk it through with.

Reactions: Al ears and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts