Product of the year question

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Clare / Andrew

I see that the Sony S760 got Product of the year and best blu ray player £300-600. Over the last couple of days, you've alluded to the fact that the Denon 2500bt performs better than the Sony. As the Denon is widely available for £500, does that mean that the Sony is best NEW product of the year? Or is there a discrepancy between your opinions and that of the majority of the testing team? Or do you still have the Denon as more than £600?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Andrew, What is your opinion on how the Sony S760 compares to its bigger brother the 5000 ? If you could afford either would

you still go for the 5000 ? If so by what margin ?

Thanks,

Mark

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:
Hi Clare / Andrew

I see that the Sony S760 got Product of the year and best blu ray player £300-600. Over the last couple of days, you've alluded to the fact that the Denon 2500bt performs better than the Sony. As the Denon is widely available for £500, does that mean that the Sony is best NEW product of the year? Or is there a discrepancy between your opinions and that of the majority of the testing team? Or do you still have the Denon as more than £600?

Thanks!

Denon RRP is still £750 - if we had given it an Award (unlikely, given age, spec and availability), cynical dealers could have jacked the prices right up again.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
markipowell:
Andrew, What is your opinion on how the Sony S760 compares to its bigger brother the 5000 ? If you could afford either would

you still go for the 5000 ? If so by what margin ?

Thanks,

Mark

If i could afford it, i'd buy the bigger Sony - but then I project, and have a powerful surround system. If I owned a 50in TV (unless it was a Kuro!) or smaller, and/or had a sub-@£1000-£1500 AV receiver, i'd stick with the 'S760.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both of you for your answers.. I only asked cos you gave such a glowing review of the 760 and its newer

They often use similer parts in the newer cheaper versions from the flagships models as you know..

I will of course do a back to back test myself befor buying on my TV...

Andrew was that margin tongue in cheek or do you mean the 5000 is 3 x better in your opinion ?

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

Taking the que from your answer, currently I have an Onkyo TX-SR 875 AV Receiver connected to a 40" Sony w4000 series LCD display together with QUAD Lite Home Cinema package. For Blue-Ray I use Sony PS3 for the time being.

THe Sony S760 is not yet available in Turkey.Only 3 alternatives: the older model 550, the 360 and the top of the range 5000.

With my set-up in mind, would the 360 show much improvement over the PS3 or should I wait for the 760. Alternatively, if I dish out for the 5000ES, would it make a noticeable difference worth the difference in price given my current set-up?

Thanks for your valuable feedback,

Umit

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Umit,

While the 'S360 is an improvement over the PS3 (particularly with motion-handling), i wouldn't advise such a tiny upgrade.

Instead, i'd keep enjoying your PS3 and wait for the 'S760 to arrive - it would give you a significant improvement in sound and vision. I feel the '5000ES would be an unnecessarily high-end upgrade for your system (great set-up though it is!)

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Davo2008:

Hi Clare / Andrew

Thanks!

Denon RRP is still £750 - if we had given it an Award (unlikely, given age, spec and availability), cynical dealers could have jacked the prices right up again.

If you can live with the Denon's achingly slow load times and lack of Profile 2.0 spec (plus its transport-only limitations), wi-fi etc, it's a corking buy at @£499. Don't know how much longer stocks will last, though - I have posed that question to Denon

Interesting points regarding the Denon 2500 which has been on my shortlist since July but on advice from yourself I have held back waiting for the Awards Issue

As the awards issue disappointingly did not publish which players were compared to each other , and I include Pioneer 91/71 in this , I am none the wiser.

Age in my opinion should not exclude a product from being considered if its performance is better than another, and the Denon is still easily available to buy.

So my final question ( Hopefully )

Which is best, considering PQ SQ and price the Denon £750 RRP or the Sony 5000 £1100 RRP and the reason why one is better than the other if possible, I have noted you view re the Sony 760 so my next comparison is the 5000

Kindest regards

Andy

D

Deleted member 2457

The 91 is the best blu ray player over £1000 easily

Under £1000 there is only one winner drum roll please

The pioneer bdp-lx71.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
lesmor:
Interesting points regarding the Denon 2500 which has been on my shortlist since July but on advice from yourself I have held back waiting for the Awards Issue

As the awards issue disappointingly did not publish which players were compared to each other , and I include Pioneer 91/71 in this , I am none the wiser.

Age in my opinion should not exclude a product from being considered if its performance is better than another, and the Denon is still easily available to buy.

Which is best, considering PQ SQ and price the Denon £750 RRP or the Sony 5000 £1100 RRP and the reason why one is better than the other if possible, I have noted you view re the Sony 760 so my next comparison is the 5000

Kindest regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

We'd already Group Tested the Pioneer '91 against the Sony '5000ES and found the latter offered better performance-per-pound, plus edged the Pioneer for sound (though the Pioneer is undoubtedly the winner as far as picture quality is concerned).

As for the Sony '5000ES vs the Denon '2500BT - again, the Sony. Step up in sound and vision performance; hence its Award win at that price point.

And if you've got silly money to spend, Marantz's UD9004 is the best BD player we've seen or heard to date. Yours for a cool £5000....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:lesmor:

Kindest regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

We'd already Group Tested the Pioneer '91 against the Sony '5000ES and found the latter offered better performance-per-pound, plus edged the Pioneer for sound (though the Pioneer is undoubtedly the winner as far as picture quality is concerned).

As for the Sony '5000ES vs the Denon '2500BT - again, the Sony. Step up in sound and vision performance; hence its Award win at that price point.

And if you've got silly money to spend, Marantz's UD9004 is the best BD player we've seen or heard to date. Yours for a cool £5000....

Clare

Many thanks for a transparent reply , no more dubiety

I have decided to go for the middle ground and having demod it ,decision made on the Denon 2500 at a bargain price of £499 compared to a 5000ES at £899 to £995

Its been a long journey

Regards

Andy

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
So from lowest to highest for PQ...... S760.....2500BT........S5000.....lx91.....Marantz. Certainly makes sense as each one is considerably more expensive than the one before it.....

D

Deleted member 2457

There is no way the Denon 2500bt is better than the pioneer bdp-lx71 no way.

Only home tested the Denon on a pioneer plasma recently and the pioneer bdp-lx71 wipes the floor with it.

I too thought the denon would be better given the reviews but it was not.

You should demo if you can, or if you can't buy one see for yourself if it is no good send it back and swap for the other.

You will have 7 days at least to return. The denon was returned by the way. All the messing in the world could not improve the picture quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts