Processor and Power amps or Reciever?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am interested to hear of peoples opinions as to what is the best way to go on a home cinema set-up. A dedicated AV receiver or a processor and separate amplifier combination. At the moment I have a bit of a hybrid set-up with a Yamaha AX-1 8.2 channel AV Receiver with all its pre-outs running into bridged mono Rotel 980 Power amplifiers. This does mean that all the internal Yamaha amps are disconnected. Do I upgrade the Yamaha with a dedicated processor and retain the 10 Rotels or do I replace it all for a lesser powered but newer integrated receiver? I feel the former is probably best because the Rotels, whilst a few years old were a premium hi-fi product in their time and at 360W each, will never be pushed hard. Additionally with the advent of the new HD audio formats, separate amps offer the flexibility of discrete connection. Any views?

A

Anonymous

If you've invested in all those monoblocs, I say keep them. Rotel amps are renowned for the their longevity and bullet proof build.

Buy a processor, which can be easily changed in the future if you need to. The Audiolab 8000AV is available for bargain prices at the moment, and it's successor the 8000AP is now out. Depending on how much you want to spend, there's plenty of choice from Arcam, Rotel, Lexicon, others.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts