Problems with a Quad 33

phender1990

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a Quad 33 second hand on eBay and am having a problem with sound when connecting to my Quad 606. I purchased a 4 din pin to RCA adaptor to connect the two units and the right hand RCA channel is coming out with no sound. It's definitely not the Quad 606 as when I switch the RCA cables around, the speaker which the sound is coming out of alternates. There is literally ZERO sound coming out of the dead channel, no buzz, no hum, no nothing. I also have the same issue when using the tape channe. I'm just trying to work out whether it's the cable or the pre-amp output that's bust. Thanks for any help!

abacus

Is the lead specifically made for the Quad 33, as from what I can remember (It’s a long time ago) the pre out does not use a standard Din to 2 x RCA patch cable. (I may be wrong on this though, however I believe the pin connections are shown on the back)

Hope this helps

Bill

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Is the lead specifically made for the Quad 33, as from what I can remember (It’s a long time ago) the pre out does not use a standard Din to 2 x RCA patch cable. (I may be wrong on this though, however I believe the pin connections are shown on the back)

Hope this helps

Bill

Exactly.

Just get a multi meter, set it to measure millivolts and test the output from the correct pins, they are clearly labled on the rear of the unit.

Easy peasy. Unlike the tape outputs they are fixed level and should work irrespetive of the plug in boards.

phender1990

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the initial help. The tape player I'm using isn't using an adaptor, it's got a proper DIN out. I think that means that it's definitely the connection between the Quad 33 and Quad 606 which is the issue. The cable I'm using to connect it is this one (http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/naimquad-4pinrca.htm). It's apparently designed specifically for the Quad 33 and I was informed that it was appropriate for connecting the two. Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
phender1990 said:
Thanks for the initial help. The tape player I'm using isn't using an adaptor, it's got a proper DIN out. I think that means that it's definitely the connection between the Quad 33 and Quad 606 which is the issue. The cable I'm using to connect it is this one (http://www.soundsheavenly.co.uk/naimquad-4pinrca.htm). It's apparently designed specifically for the Quad 33 and I was informed that it was appropriate for connecting the two. Thanks!

So it should work, probably means your 33 is down on one channel. You have centered the balance control havn't you?

Borrow a multimeter, even a cheap one will tell you what you need to know, test the output, test the cables, easy.

TRENDING THREADS