Problem: Turntable-amplifier connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I received an old turntable from a friend with lots of old records. I have a good CD stereo system but these records would be a great bonus to my collection.

I tried to connect it the the phono jacks of two different amplifiers .Sometimes all is well, but very very often there is virtually no sound coming through, only with when the volume is adjusted extremely high, and then there is a lot of interference noise (rumble). Sometimes with one of the amplifiers when I pull out the RCA jacks from the phono connections and then reinsert then the sound is fine works!

Is the problem with the turntable or connection wires OR with the amplifiers?

<p> Help--please. Allon

A

Anonymous

First thing you should do is clean your interconnects thoroughly.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:And where is your phono stage? *waits expectantly*

Indeed.

Just because an amp has an input marked 'Phono', does not necessarily mean it has a phono stage fitted as standard.

A

Anonymous

No - but Allon is saying that on some occasions the sound works fine, so presumably there must be some sort of phono card fitted. Whether it is the right card (MM / MC) etc is another matter and does this TT need grounding?

A

Anonymous

Sorry it took so long to answer you guys.

I'll work on the interconnects first and if that isn't the answer then I'll let you know.
Thanks very much!!

A

Anonymous

One common problem I come across, particularly with the Dual brand of record players, is that the wires inside the phono leads break right near where they enter the moulded on phono plug. Wiggling these wires near the plug aggravates the problem. The only solution is to remove these plugs and re-fit new ones. Assuming that this is the problem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts