ProAc Response D2 v Harbeth Monitor 30.1

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I auditioned the ProAc Response D2 last week and was impressed by its expressive and open presentation. I would describe its sonic signature as lively and dynamic (perhaps a bit hot up top) with impressive bass extension for a speaker its size. I can't audition the Harbeth M30.1 but am wondering how it compares. Would it be fair to say that the Harbeth M30.1 has a more polite presentation?

I'd apprecaite any feedback from those who have heard or compared both loudspeakers.

Thanks.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have owned the D2 for a while, and compared them to the M30 for a few weeks. I kept the M30, they sounded more real and I just preferred the sound signature. The Proacs are very good speakers, but I found that the path to getting detail isn't about additional treble, which is what I found the Proacs trying to do.

As always, depends on your preferences, your room and your system.

I now own the 30.1 which, IMO, are streets ahead of both.

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I can relate to your experience and as much as the D2 impressed, it had a treble tilt to my ears which I think would be potentially fatiguing over time. How do you find the M30.1's treble and bass?

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Consider also listening to the Stirling SB-88's. Great speakers for the money.

If the choice is only between the Proac and those Harbeth's then I personally would choose the Harbeths on sound quality. But here in the States those Harbeths are almost twice as expensive. I would say the Proac's would probably work better with tubes and perhaps with rock music though.

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
No, they're not the only choices. I probably should have included the ATC SCM19 as well, which I've auditioned and really liked. So any comparisons from people who have heard the SCM19 and M30.1 are also most welcome. :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not owned those models, but I have owned ATC SCM40 before changing to SHL5... for my taste, the ATC was far too dry and unemotional, particularly with acoustic music, whereas the Harbeths are warmer, but with superb detail.... I should imagine it would be similar with the 19's and 30.1.

As we all know it's a very subjective hobby and others may totally disagree.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
How did the bass compare? I would expect the ATC to have tighter bass being an acoustic suspension design. I've read that Harbeth's bass reflex design tends to reproduce bass that is somewhat loose and boomy.

Macspur said:
Not owned those models, but I have owned ATC SCM40 before changing to SHL5... for my taste, the ATC was far too dry and unemotional, particularly with acoustic music, whereas the Harbeths are warmer, but with superb detail.... I should imagine it would be similar with the 19's and 30.1.

Mac

Hi Mac

You should try and listen to the new curved SCM40 monitors. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Macspur said:

Mac

Hi Mac

You should try and listen to the new curved SCM40 monitors. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,I'd like to some time, as certainly with electronic music I found the old 40's to be stunning.

To Tin ear, As mentioned above, with electronic music was amazing and the base very tight. However, with the Harbeths they play all genres how they're meant to sound... admittedly they do perform best with a bit of space around them.

Then again from what Rick is saying the new version of ATC's may be worth investigating.

Mac

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate your replies Macspur. Based on your experience with the ATCs and Harbeths, would you say that one has a more open sound than the other?

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not surprised that you'd say that as Harbeths are known for having an open sound. I've compared the current model SCM19 with the PMC twenty.22 and ProAc Response D2 and its presentation isn't as open. It does have other strengths however. Personally, I prefer a more open sound.

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll definitely report back. I may give the ProAc Response D2 another audition before I make a decision on my purchase. Thanks for your advice Macspur, which is much appreciated.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
tin ear said:
I'll definitely report back. I may give the ProAc Response D2 another audition before I make a decision on my purchase. Thanks for your advice Macspur, which is much appreciated.

My pleasure, but the real pleasure will be to learn of what you settle for, whether it be ProAc, ATC, or Harbeth, just as long as you're totally happy with your decision and enjoying what you hear.

Mac

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
It also depends on how loud you like to listen to your music.

I owned some ATCs before, and realised how good they are when you crank them up. For normal listening levels, the Harbeths are full of life and character. Just lovely.

I'd like to hear some of the higher end Proac someday, same goes for Harbeth M40.1, but I just didn't get the smaller Proacs. D2s are the best of the bunch though. Surely some newer models are out soon though, they seem to be going through the range with the new components.

tin ear

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Reporting back as promised. Enjoying the M30.1's. They have excellent midrange clarity and extended, delicate highs. Very resolving with precise imaging. And unlike some of the speakers that I've auditioned, there is not a trace of hardness or glare. Bass is well proportioned. Overall, just a nicely balanced presentation.

gousias

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Since I'm in this comparison option for chosing one, could you give any last details from your auditions so far on Harbeth 30.1 ? Also, any comparison with ProAc Response D1 or D2? Any further details? Which one would you apply mostly on auditions above rock, electronic, jazz music?

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Used to own the C7es3, and now own the D2's. The Proac's need a little care in setting up. They are very revealing of source and amplication. If you are going to audition the D2's, make sure the dealer doesn't try anything fancy. Plug electronics straight to the wall (even the source) and use the same speaker wire to link the binding posts. Neither of which the dealer might be reluctant to do. When it's done right, these speakers are emotive.

I had hard time trying to make the Harbeth's come out of their own skin. I never succeeded. Although pleasant, it was apparent that they would always impart their own signature sound. The 30.1's need serious amplification to get the best out of them.

The D1's are completely different from the D2's. Everything's bit thinner and brighter. I've heard these are magic with tubes, however.