Standmount Speaker Demo £700 - £1250

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Wife was away so after months reading others reviews i finally got a 3+ hour speaker demo in with a fairly local dealer to compare speakers to my Epos M5's (same amp and cd player as i own). I always like to read others opinions so here is what i found......

Proac Tablette Signature Reference 8 (£825)
This is the speaker i most wanted to hear and to be honest buy. So it was first up. First impressions was 'wow' this was so clear and detailed and sounded almost as if it was coming for you. I was initially very impressed and had my wallet at the ready. But after a few tracks i did begin to find the soundstage a little disconcerting - the vocals seemed like they came from quite high up and was also slightly over sharp and bright at times. In the end i would call it slightly bright and fatiguing to listen to - albeit an impressive and very bold presentation.

PMC DB1i (£825)
Pretty much a direct competitor was next up and offered to me as a very different soundstage. I agreed, the bass was more emphasised and the soundstage slightly more squashed vertically but better horizontally and actually i found i prefered this to the Proac sound. Its presentation was very nice and i also liked the cabinet style more as well. I felt a little better with this speaker although it was not quite as sharp and detailed as the Proac it was more rounded but the midrange wasnt quite so prominent compared to what i was used to.

Proac Response 1SC (£1250)
Ok the dealer was pushing the boat out here (thats his job) as this was beyond my original budget but was worth a comparison to see what the extra cash would buy. Right off this really did sound a higher quality - great balance and silky smooth vocals, no sharpness like the Signature 8 and a great overall soundstage shape. I really did enjoy this one across all the music tried out but was it really worth over a third more on the price? Long term probably yes it could be, but i would be waiting a long time for these.

Neat Motive 3 (£725)
Ok these were not even on my shortlist but the dealer thought i would like them from my comments so far to him. And how right he was. This had a lot of the smoothness of the Proac 1SC but was also detailed and dynamic and the bass came across as really punchy and tight, and arguably was the best delivered percussion of them all. The soundstage here was closer again to PMC and the 1SC and felt just about right to me. Female vocals were excellent - no sharpness here just a smooth sound. Really very good indeed and nothing i didnt really like.

Spendor SA1 (£1100)
I had demod these before but thought a reminder would be nice. This is a quality speaker but so different in its presentation to the others. Here the midrange is much more prominent revealing new details over other speakers but at a cost that it wasnt quite as rounded as the others and lost some of the higher treble and bass depth seemed to dissappear beneath the midrange. I can see this being a great speaker for certain music styles but it wasnt quite the all rounder i was looking for.

Epos M5 (£350 - although mine were bought for £250)
I thought i would compare to my own speakers against all that i had just heard. Coming back to them i was actually quite impressed with how well they held up given they are more than half the price. In fact i started to think twice about the relative worth of the new outlay. But that said the Epos are not quite as clear cut or as prominent in the bass as others on show, and although its midrange stands its ground very well indeed - it can be beaten overall by the smoothness of some of the others. For many peoples budget though i am sure this speaker would be more than sufficient - it does a great job and is great value.

Conclusions
1. The budget Epos are much better than i expected in direct competition with those twice its cost.
2. Paying a lot more for the Proac Response 1SC would be a great long term investment if you can afford it - but it wasnt so great a jump that i wasnt going to be more than happy with a £700-£800 speaker.
3. The Proac Signature 8 was in the end the most surprising - i wanted and expected it to be the best but found its soundstage presentation a bit disconcerting and the vocals a little too much.
4. PMC / Neat / Spendor all do different things well and i now understand some of the comments made about them much better.

My decision was that i simply couldnt resist the Neat Motive 3 for many reasons - the smoothness of the vocals, the presentation of the overall soundstage was the best, the bass was punchy and clear and again alongside the PMC was the best of them, the cabinet came in natural oak which would please my wife, the cost was suprisingly the lowest of the lot (i got them at £700 after a short haggle) which shows that you dont necessarily need to spend the most to get one you like best. These were the smoothest in the price bracket and my 2nd place went to the PMC which are also great sounding speakers and highly recommended.

So i have new speakers to enjoy and have had a very enjoyable day out as well ! I will be selling my Epos now on ebay.
I hope you enjoy the read - these are of course my opinions only and relate to music i like.

A

Anonymous

Brilliant. I plan to get some Motive 2's. Very helpful, thanks.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
To be very fair the tablettes were the most prominent and forward it seemed to me and when i say huge the main difference was in the vertical height of the soundstage rather than width.

Width to me is great but the height of where the vocals came from was a tad disconcerting. Now it could simply be down to the set up - although it was the same for all the speakers. I went back to these twice though to retest them as i wanted to like them most but with the same conclusions.

Female vocals were not as smooth as the others but what it does is present fast, prominent and detailed music so it may be much better for techno or rock and roll which were not really on my listening list.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
very nice explanations there.Its great when u get to the end of the day feeling satisfied.not so frequent to me.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Excellent write-up and a good read, thanks.
emotion-21.gif
What was your demo music?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i chose to use some albums i knew well from years of use and also ones that helped me choose separates - the tracks were from...

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (very useful test for female vocals and drum layers)
Katie Melua - Piece by Piece (useful for instrument separation)
Gary Numan - Pleasure Principal (soaring chords that fill the room and great basslines)
OMD - Crush (snappy pop songs)
Long Blondes - Couples (bit more edgy punk / rock)

thats all i could fit in really given i was comparing speakers with same tracks.

A

Anonymous

It's a long shot, but did you here the Motive 3's through a Naim at all?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
sorry Octo this was a speaker only test - i am not changing my Arcams for many years to come now

in fact a long journey to find an overall system i honestly could say i loved is about done - ive got myself a proper listening area now and speakers are on stands as they should be and everything sounds pretty fantastic

up to this point ive always had the niggling feeling that something needed changing or improving but i think finally i found my set up to last me a long while

ive gone from amp / cd separates over the last 12 months
Nad to Arcam Diva to Arcam FMJ
and speakers
Cambridge Audio to Epos to Neat Motive 3

A

Anonymous

Until the next time...

Yep thought it was a long shot but pleased you're happy with your set up.ÿ

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Octopo - reading through some past copies of what hi-fi when a group test for amps was done about 3 months back the Naim 5i was recommended for use with the Neat Motive 2 in the summary and also in Jan 08 the system test says

'Naim Audio specifically requested Neat loudspeakers for this review and this result again confirms the widely held view that Neat and Naim are a winning combination. Of course, there are other electronics available which also give superb results when partnered with Neat loudspeakers..'

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My own observations about the Tablettes.

ÿ

I have them in the kitchen and use them mainly for uptempo music, entertaining...or getting everyone up and running over breakfast with the radio. For these purposes they are excellent. Fun and musical is probably the best description.

However, when I go into the lounge and switch to my Dali Ikon 6 there is a tremendous difference. The floorstanders are nowhere near as fast but they are far more bassy, detailed and vocal. Not as exciting or dance around the room, but more 'pensive', involving in a completely different way.

Funnily enough on a couple of occasions my Dalis have sounded a little sterile compared to the ProAcs, on others they have sounded far more enveloping. Stange how mood works, but I guess I have the best of both worlds with agility on one set and crispness on the other.

By the way the soundstage on the Dalis is stunning, many vocalists have been heard coming straight out of the fireplace, with perhaps the backing singers over to the right, and the bassist on the left ...

ÿ

ÿ

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like we getting towards the same observations in the end on the tablettes.

They would indeed do a great job for a kitchen where you probably are not analytically sitting down to be enveloped by a soundstage etc but just enjoying a much much better class of radio style listening on the move.

I have not bi-amped yet - its one step at a time and to be honest im completely blown away at the moment by what im hearing - the Neats just seemed to have rounded off a lot of tweaking over the last year and i cant imagine it any better at the moment.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I'd love to hear the Neats, so much has been said about them.

The biamp is obviously your next upgrade, I for one, love the Arcam sound and can imagine what you're hearing.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

crusaderlord:Octopo - reading through some past copies of what hi-fi when a group test for amps was done about 3 months back the Naim 5i was recommended for use with the Neat Motive 2 in the summary and also in Jan 08 the system test says 'Naim Audio specifically requested Neat loudspeakers for this review and this result again confirms the widely held view that Neat and Naim are a winning combination. Of course, there are other electronics available which also give superb results when partnered with Neat loudspeakers..'

Thanks for the tip crusaderlord, your help in this thread has been most helpful. Ta.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Joelsim - you are a complete nightmare - in a spare moment today i suddenly found myself browsing various places for a FMJ P35 power amp with thoughts on bi-amping.

Funds are way off at the moment and my wife will kill me for sure if i buy it this year !
I am looking in the cellar to see what i can sell.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:Joelsim - you are a complete nightmare - in a spare moment today i suddenly found myself browsing various places for a FMJ P35 power amp with thoughts on bi-amping.Funds are way off at the moment and my wife will kill me for sure if i buy it this year !I am looking in the cellar to see what i can sell.

ÿ

lol - good luckÿ

A

Anonymous

One thing I think should be added with regard to the Tablette ref 8 sigs is that they sound harsher when biwired. They sound more balanced when using a high quality single wire such as Chord Epic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts