ProAc response D18 or D28?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Advance Audio look to be a significant distributor who from what i understand are just setting up with Hegel. I'd give them another call to see if they can help you as the H300 is a cracking amplifer and one with an excellent on board DAC too. Using the H300 as an amp and with its internal DAC too with tracks such as the Trentemoller Mix of Bruce Springsteen's State Trooper is the finest overall performance i've heard from Proac's Response 2.5 speakers

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. I must say I'm a little put off by 60W consumption in standby mode and no button on the remote to switch it off, is Hegel also in utilities industry? I know, sound quality is the first priority but electricity is getting more and more expensive, especially after the introduction of smart meters here in Vic.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello SA2013, I used to own the D18 and tried it with several amps, including the Naim SuperNait, the Musical Fidelity M6i and the Sugden Masterclass integrated. All worked well but I found the most musically satisfying to me was the Sugden, so I would strongly recommend that as your amp - provided you can bear with the heat and relative lack of power.

I see you also considered the new Accuphase E600 class A integrated. I've not heard this amp but if reviews are to be believed and if it really represents a big upgrade on the E560, then we're talking a whole different class here. The E560 was the best integrated I have ever owned, so if the 600 improves on it, then it must really be special and therefore worth considering.

Good luck!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

Advance Audio look to be a significant distributor who from what i understand are just setting up with Hegel. I'd give them another call to see if they can help you as the H300 is a cracking amplifer and one with an excellent on board DAC too. Using the H300 as an amp and with its internal DAC too with tracks such as the Trentemoller Mix of Bruce Springsteen's State Trooper is the finest overall performance i've heard from Proac's Response 2.5 speakers

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. I must say I'm a little put off by 60W consumption in standby mode and no button on the remote to switch it off, is Hegel also in utilities industry? I know, sound quality is the first priority but electricity is getting more and more expensive, especially after the introduction of smart meters here in Vic.

The Hegel H200 is a good option and less expensive than the H300 ,

the H200 is more than enough for your D18 .

Can't it be an option for you ?

sa2013

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
The Hegel H200 is a good option and less expensive than the H300 ,

the H200 is more than enough for your D18 .

Can't it be an option for you ?

Hi ISAC69,

I'm sure it could be an option it's just not possible to audition, nobody stocks Hegel in my city, and I wouldn't spend this kind of money without a demo.

Singslinger said:
Hello SA2013, I used to own the D18 and tried it with several amps, including the Naim SuperNait, the Musical Fidelity M6i and the Sugden Masterclass integrated. All worked well but I found the most musically satisfying to me was the Sugden, so I would strongly recommend that as your amp - provided you can bear with the heat and relative lack of power.

I see you also considered the new Accuphase E600 class A integrated. I've not heard this amp but if reviews are to be believed and if it really represents a big upgrade on the E560, then we're talking a whole different class here. The E560 was the best integrated I have ever owned, so if the 600 improves on it, then it must really be special and therefore worth considering.

Good luck!

Hi Singslinger,

Thanks for that. A lot of people mention Sugden and ProAc combo and I'm guessing for a good reason. I'm just not sure how practical it will be in my situation, I don't have a hifi rack nor do I have space for one. All my gear is in AV cabinet with a TV sitting on top. I'm concerned there wouldn't be enough ventilation for something like Sugden. Will probably come down to getting one for home demo and then see how I go...

On a different note, planning to audition Devialet with Vienna Acoustics tomorrow, the dealer doesn’t stock ProAc’s and I thought Vienna’s would probably be the closest match.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sa2013 said:
On a different note, planning to audition Devialet with Vienna Acoustics tomorrow, the dealer doesn’t stock ProAc’s and I thought Vienna’s would probably be the closest match.

Interesting. Let us know how you get on.

sa2013 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sa2013

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi sa2013

I wouldn't worry about it as after swithching on the H300 is on song in around five minutes or so. Given this will you re think class A amplification *biggrin*

Anyway what about Naim's Supernait 2/HiCap DR?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
sa2013 said:
Any experiences with Accuphase E-600? my dealer has some lower model on display, can't remember which one it was.

I think I'm going to get into Cno's good books for this question.

Just been catching up with this post and see your considering Accuphase... believe me you owe it to yourself to demo one if you can... they are superbly built and I believe you'd even be bowled over by their AB models.

Although I see you're going to try a Devialet, not heard one myself yet, but from what others say it will be hard to beat.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts