Proac D18

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Singslinger said:
Hello Sherez

Until very recently, I was a ProAc D18 owner. At first, I drove it with a Naim SuperNait but although this combination works OK, I found something missing. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that the music lacked dynamics - the sounstage was restricted and there wasn't enough body.

All this changed when I substituted the Sugden Masterclass IA4 intergrated for the SuperNait. Everything clicked into place - the music had plenty of detail, bounce and fullness.

It's a brilliant pairing and I would highly recommend this amp (or maybe one of the two smaller Sugden class A integrated if funds do not permit the purchase of the Masterclass).

Good luck!

I would put this down to the SuperNait having more of a 'Classic Series' sound, rather than the (what you would call) 'full bodied" sound, which is more like the sound you get from the Naim XS components.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
sherez said:
but the question is if the sugden suitable to my music and i dont think that amplifiers are in Israel.

Why don't you make a shortlist of which amplifiers are available in Israel, then, which you can demo with your music, and take it from there? Also, you're overly concerned about an amplifier's suitability for certain types of music - the more important point is the amp's suitability for the speakers, and even then, there are wide parameters. Unless you have personal experience of different amps being notably unsuitable for certain types of music?

These are general points, sorry I haven't heard these particular Proacs (I loved the latest Tablettes, though), but you need to bear these points in mind to help you make a more relaxed decision.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
sherez said:
Another question, i am listening to music from my computer and I want to know which DAC is the best for me until 600£.

Have a look at the spec for the Teac UD-501, great build & components for the money.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
sherez said:
i have a question which is better dac or cd players?

Both CD players and DACs contain DACs. A CD player is a DAC with a built-in disc transport. Either a CD player DAC or standalone DAC can be of better or worse quality.

I think it's better to have a DAC for a couple of reasons:

1. More versatile - most of my CDs are on a computer, and whether I listen to a disc, watch a movie, watch digital TV, or play a game, it sounds great since it's all coming through my DAC. With a CD player, I might have a good DAC but it will only work for CDs.

2. Better sound. By buying a professional DAC, everything I listen to sounds the best it can. Sure, the DAC chips in TVs and computer soundcards are perfectly accurate, but what makes a standalone DAC better is the stuff around the chip - the output stage, the timing and buffering improvements, the approach to error correction, a fully balanced circuit, a good power supply. Some expensive CD players do this just as well, but look at the price.

3. Better long-term value. Disc players break. They have a lens that gets dirty, moving parts that wear out, dust that enters, etc. A really good DAC will make any CD or DVD player with a digital output into a high-end CD player, assuming that the DAC reclocks. The only job of a disc transport is to extract a bit-perfect stream of 1s and 0s from the disc and send it to the DAC, whether the DAC is in a separate box or not. And any disc transport will do this - a CD-ROM drive that retails for less than 20 bob is still bit perfect (otherwise, you would not be able to install applications from it, since one wrong bit in an executable and the file is worthless). Thus, the best high-end CD player is any disc player with a digital out, connected to a high-end DAC of your choice. You can replace the dsic player when needed, for next to nothing, and keep the DAC for decades.

There are other reasons but those are the most compelling to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts