Proac D18

sherez

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

What is the most suitable amplifier to Proac D18?

I am listening to: vocal jazz funk some blues all the kinds of rock and pop hip hop rap rnb.

thanks.

sherez

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Another question, i am listening to music from my computer and I want to know which DAC is the best for me until 600£.

thanks.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sherez said:
Another question, i am listening to music from my computer and I want to know which DAC is the best for me until 600£.

I have the Audiolab MDAC, which I find deeply revealing and transparent, though perhaps a tad bright. I don't have much experience with other outboard DACs.

Matt

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would get a Beresford Bushman only about £200 but good, new version coming out soon, you can try it out at home for 14 days I believe and return if not happy, as its direct from manufacturer it cuts out the middle men and is good value, WHF gave it 5 stars in their review.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Another vote for Naim with the ProAc's, I have the D28's with Naim and the sound is real foot tapping stuff, very good combination !

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
sherez said:
actually my direction is the M-Dac what do you think?

The Audiolab is a good DAC and preamp but you will still need amplification, personally I have not heard the MDAC with ProAc so cannot comment on how well the 2 will work together, but you need to demo the kit to be sure!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sherez said:
actually my direction is the M-Dac what do you think?

Have you looked at the round-up review of DACs in the July issue of WHF? You might find it helpful.

recruit said:
The Audiolab is a good DAC and preamp but you will still need amplification ...

This is correct, though if you have no analogue sources, you need only buy a power amp to sit between the MDAC and the Proacs.

Like Recruit, I haven't heard the MDAC + Proac combination, so can't say anything about synergy.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
sherez said:
Why i need to buy preamp the m-dac is not enough?

No, I said you'd need to buy a power amp. You'd also need a preamp if you have analogue sources, e.g. a turntable, since the MDAC only has digital inputs.

Matt

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello Sherez

Until very recently, I was a ProAc D18 owner. At first, I drove it with a Naim SuperNait but although this combination works OK, I found something missing. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that the music lacked dynamics - the sounstage was restricted and there wasn't enough body.

All this changed when I substituted the Sugden Masterclass IA4 intergrated for the SuperNait. Everything clicked into place - the music had plenty of detail, bounce and fullness.

It's a brilliant pairing and I would highly recommend this amp (or maybe one of the two smaller Sugden class A integrated if funds do not permit the purchase of the Masterclass).

Good luck!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Plus 2 for the ProAc/Sugden combo... used to have ProAc Studio 130 with Sugden A21, a really enjoyable set up and it's well known that Sugden use ProAc when testing their amps.

Mac

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Plus 3. I think the D18s are very well-suited to solid state class A amps and Sugden are some of the best.

I didn't love my Pathos Logos with the D18s. I found that the combination sounded best at low listening levels with acoustic music, although certainly it could play loudly if I had a party with no strain at all. But the midrange magic disappeared when the woofer is asked to do much bass. In general I found the sound of both the Pathos and the ProAcs to be a bit on the soft side and so they didn't match well. The great strength of the ProAcs is a very natural midrange. The weakness is the smile-shaped frequency profile: the speaker is tuned to boost the highs and the lows, which unfortunately need boosting, particularly the lows. So you get a very boxy-sounding bass at high volume.

These speakers can be wonderful in different ways with different amps. I think it would be helpful to your search if you could make a choice between tube, solid state class A, and traditional class A/B amplification (if you could compare Unison, Sugden, and Bryston, for example). If you could establish a type preference, it would make your search easier, since this info, plus your budget and reviews, could get you down to 2-3 choices.

But you can hardly go wrong with Sugden + ProAc, I would think. But depending on how much rock and hip-hop you listen to, a class A/B amp might suit you better. McIntosh, Bryston, Naim, Roksan, etc. You need to find out before you buy anything.

As for the DAC, at your budget the M-DAC is probably the best. I recommend the Benchmark DAC1. It stands practically alone on the price/performance curve and is much better (much, much better) than the likes of the M-DAC. If you could somehow buy it in the US and bring it back, it's almost at your budget - but as they are bulletproof, and as they have just released a new version (the DAC2), you could probably get it used for your budget with little trouble. If you are going to spend more than a few hundred on a DAC (but less than several thousand), there is no other choice.

One other note to the OP: there are lots of people on this forum willing to help. There is no need to be pushy, rude, and impatient. Many of us can only viusit a few times per week, and the forum topics jump around. There is no way to track conversations on the forum. The only way people see your post is by stumbling across it.

If you want to get a diversity of good responses, you need to wait a day or two for people to see your question and answer it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The M-DAC is meant to be very good and is probably the best around £600. The Benchmark is about £900 now maybe a ex-demo or used one?

I did come across this new one yesterday which maybe worth looking out for JKDAC32, its about £400 although not sure where you buy in UK.[/b]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts