The best choice

• Total voters

FMC

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
I'm trying to choose between the Pro-Ject X2 (without balanced outputs) and the Rega Planar 6 (only between one of this turntables and new; nothing more and nothing in 2nd hand).
At the moment i own the Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 and the amp is a Micromega IA-400 (that i probably will replace in some months).

I know that there are fans from both brands but please, i need an "conscious" advice and not one from the heart ;)

I created a poll and i hope you can vote but, if possible, hope that you can justify your choice/vote too.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I’ve only come across these two fleetingly and couldn’t readily decide in favour of one or the other.

If I lived in the UK I might favour the Rega. On mainland Europe I might choose the Pro-ject. This is because I might welcome the available support, but I’m sure distributors are well versed in both.

As I am in the UK, I’m tempted to ask if youve considered the Michell Tecnodec, which I chose as preferable to a Rega, albeit a few years ago. They modify a Rega arm to make a Tecnoarm, though I use a basic Rega one on mine.

All three are excellent for around £1200, and a decent dealer might offer you a package price with a fitted cartridge. I’m sure any would sound great with your system.

FMC

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I’ve only come across these two fleetingly and couldn’t readily decide in favour of one or the other.

If I lived in the UK I might favour the Rega. On mainland Europe I might choose the Pro-ject. This is because I might welcome the available support, but I’m sure distributors are well versed in both.

As I am in the UK, I’m tempted to ask if youve considered the Michell Tecnodec, which I chose as preferable to a Rega, albeit a few years ago. They modify a Rega arm to make a Tecnoarm, though I use a basic Rega one on mine.

All three are excellent for around £1200, and a decent dealer might offer you a package price with a fitted cartridge. I’m sure any would sound great with your system.

Hi,
1st of all thanks for your contribution.

I'm from Portugal and here there are good dealers from both Rega and Pro-Ject.

Also, just considering between the mentioned brands and models.

Thanks again ;)

nads

Mmm cartridge. with Rega are you not limited to their cartridges unless you change the arm?

I don’t know Rega but it sticks in my mind…..

very happy with my project. Will be doing a cartridge upgrade in a few years.

with Rega are you not limited to their cartridges unless you change the arm?
No, I’ve got a Shure on my Rega arm! But you’re maybe thinking that they provide for a three-point mounting that their cartridges have. Unfortunately height adjustment is bit of a faff so I agree that cartridge choice needs to be considered at the start.

nads

I was in my HiFi spot today to look at/test a Bluesound node and I asked this question to the chap there. And he had compared both the X2 and the 6. He went with the 6.

you are going to have to do a back to back test yourself.

Reactions: FMC

FMC

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I was in my HiFi spot today to look at/test a Bluesound node and I asked this question to the chap there. And he had compared both the X2 and the 6. He went with the 6.

you are going to have to do a back to back test yourself.

He said that his decision was due to the sound and/or anything else (build quality, assembly, etc)

FMC

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I think you made the right decision. The Project is more adaptable, adjustable and has a better cartridge fitted as standard.

At least where i buy my hi-fi equipment, and other stores that i saw, the P6 comes without cartridge and then we can choose which one we want. Some only have 1 option, and other have a couple of options.

I still think about the Rega since there are a lot of fans of the brand, and i like the design but i made my choice and now i can't be always thinking about it :LOL: Independently of my choice, i think it would be a good one since both turntables are good, have their strengths and their weaknesses :)

At least where i buy my hi-fi equipment, and other stores that i saw, the P6 comes without cartridge and then we can choose which one we want. Some only have 1 option, and other have a couple of options.

I still think about the Rega since there are a lot of fans of the brand, and i like the design but i made my choice and now i can't be always thinking about it :LOL: Independently of my choice, i think it would be a good one since both turntables are good, have their strengths and their weaknesses :)
It is unusual to find a turntable manufacturer these days that will sell a turntable without a pre fitted cartridge.
I still thing you made the best choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts