Pro-Ject taking the proverbial?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, I admit I'm confused.

Having just purchased a Pro-ject 1 Xpression Carbon UKX for just under the RRP of £575 I'm wondering why I bothered?

I find myself baffled upon reading within the News section of Hi-Fi News that Pro-Ject have released a new improved version of the Debut Carbon dubbed the DC with the exact same 'new and improved' DC power supply, a Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and the same 8.6 carbon arm found on the UKX but retailing at £325! What major differences exist between the 2 models?

OK, the UKX has an acrylic platter and instead of the Ortofon 2M Red found on the Debut model, a Ortofon Silver is included within the UKX package. Are these the only differences between the models and if so do these differences warrant a price hike of £250 for the 1 Xpression UKX?

The Ortofon 2M 'Blue' can be found for the sum of £124 online and I don't believe the Silver is up to that standard, it's a pimped 2M Red isn't it? The acrylic platter retails at £108 seperately, the numbers don't make sense to me.

I feel Pro-Ject are absolutely saturating the market with many very similar models and to be honest I'm confused. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me I'm wrong... ;-)

I think they are just about right for the money.

The Debut is an entry level model whichever way you look at it. It has a metal platter as opposed to an acrylic one, the bearing in the Xpression is supposed to be better (cannot verify that), the plinth is different and the motor is uprated. The Silver is indeed a Red pimped to Project specification but not sure how it ranks to the blue (probably very similar for all intents and purposes) so all in all I'd say it's a fair price.

iMark

I just a good look at the different specs and it seems that the UKX has a different (I supposse better) tonearm, the 9" Carbon Fibre Evolution. The Debut Carbon DC has the 8.6 arm.

It's also got "Adjustable tip-toe feet with anti-scratch cups". We got these on our Pro-Ject and they work really well.

My only criticism of Pro-Ject would be that they don't have enough models with a speed switch. It does look like the newer models have got new motors that don't need a speed box anymore.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
2M silver cartridge

Acrylic platter

Superior motor

Better arm & Counterweight (based on the Evolution design)

Adjustable, isolation feet

Quite a step up from the Debut Carbon and costing far, far less than the sum of the upgrades.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
iMark said:
I just a good look at the different specs and it seems that the UKX has a different (I supposse better) tonearm, the 9" Carbon Fibre Evolution. The Debut Carbon DC has the 8.6 arm.

It's also got "Adjustable tip-toe feet with anti-scratch cups". We got these on our Pro-Ject and they work really well.

My only criticism of Pro-Ject would be that they don't have enough models with a speed switch. It does look like the newer models have got new motors that don't need a speed box anymore.

We currently have, in stock, over 50 different model variants of Pro-Ject turntables. With the greatest of respect, the number could easily double if we tried to have every option covered. However, there are seperate Speedboxes available for nearly all models.

TRENDING THREADS