Pro-Ject Debut 2 to Rega P3 - Decent upgrade?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've really enjoyed getting back into vinyl the last few months and I currently have an old Project Debut 2/Ortofon 2M Red combination going into my Naim amp via a Pro-Ject Phono Box. I'd really like to upgrade to something better and have been looking around for a bit. I've noticed that there's a secondhand Rega P3 turntable with RB300 Tonearm and Rega Bias
Cartridge going on Ebay at the moment, and its only a few miles from my home so there's no problem with damage in transit. It's described as in mint condition having had very little use (its amazing how many expensive items on Ebay have had so little use!).

My question is, would this be a major step up from what I currently have? Would any increase in quality from the Rega require a better phono stage to really hear the benefit? I'd like to hook up the Naim Stageline phono unit at some stage but you're looking at another £260 plus £90 for the cable so its a major investment for me.

Any thoughts?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you can inspect/listen to the P3 first then yes, it would be a good idea and an upgrade if exactly as described.

(Order a new belt from a local Rega dealer anyway. They don't cost a lot.)

Make sure that the seller has the packaging (even for a short trip).

If not then slip a thick peice of card (with a V shaped notch cut out) under the subplatter to lift the spindle a few millimetres before transit. (Do NOT remove the subplatter/spindle).

Make sure the arm is 'tied' in it's rest position with one of those little plastic wire ties you do up freezer bags with, remove the counterweight, and keep the glass platter seperate in transit wrapped up in some bubble wrap or a towel.

Here is a Rega being packed.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the packing tip Chebby, I'll certainly take them on board for sure. I've already been in contact with the seller and though he has not got the Rega box he has it all set up ready for any demo prior to parting with any cash so I'll see how I go.

Do you reckon the Pro-Ject phono box is up the job in hand? My Debut 2 sounds perfectly fine through it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
DIB:Do you reckon the Pro-Ject phono box is up the job in hand? My Debut 2 sounds perfectly fine through it.

Not heard the Project Phono Box but I am sure it will be more than good enough to reflect the upgrade.

The original version got 5 stars from What Hifi in January 2000 and the Phono Box II was well thought of in reviews I have read. (Can't remember which ones though sorry.)

I used to use the Rega Fono-Mini (about £60) based on the MM Phono input stage of the Mira 3 and Brio 3 amps but I doubt it would be an upgrade from what you use now.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I didn't land this one I'm sorry to say. Went up to my maximum valuation and then called it a day. For another £100 or so I could buy a new one so might go down that road soon. No rush.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I know this thread is old but I was wondering if you could tell me some information about your old Debut 2.

How do you go about replacing the cartridge/stylus? There doesn't seem to be anyway to adjust the weight on the tone arm at all. Very confused about it. Would the 2M red require a re-calibration on the Debut 2?

I considering replacing the OM5e stylus with an OM10 stylus on mine, does this require re-calibration do you know?

Hope you can help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts