Primare i21 or Primare i22 DAC

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I have the chance to get my hands on either a Primare i21 (NO DAC) or Primare i22 DAC, second hand. There is a significant price variation between these two, and I don't know if it just because the i22 has a DAC built in. To my understanding the i22 is just the next version of the i21, not a hugh step between them..

I am just wondering what you guys think of these two amplifiers? I've heard from a friends friend that the all analog i21 is much warmer in the sound compared to the digital i22 DAC. Does anyone have any experience with these two amplifiers, and which one would you go for if you had the chance of buying one of them today? Are there benefits of having the DAC built in or separate from the amp?

Last edited:
Yes, I know, I did not write that the i21 has a DAC, just the i22. But I have clarified it now in my description.:)
I think the confusion is you calling it an i22 DAC.
The i22 is an integrated amplifier as far as I am aware.
question, do you need a dac at all?
the issue with an inbuilt one is you will have difficulty keeping up with new development.
personally I would buy a straight amplifier and use a separate external DAC.
what price have you seen for each?

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I think the confusion is you calling it an i22 DAC.
The i22 is an integrated amplifier as far as I am aware.
question, do you need a dac at all?
the issue with an inbuilt one is you will have difficulty keeping up with new development.
personally I would buy a straight amplifier and use a separate external DAC.
what price have you seen for each?

Maybe I got the names wrong. :)
I only need the DAC for the tv, when I want to watch a movie and need some boost in the sound quality. Not much more use than that. It feels more future proof with a DAC though

It’s in Sweden so the price is approx 3000 SEK (300 €) for i21 and 7000 SEK (700€) for i22.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
The 400 euro difference is quite a lot and you could certainly buy a good external and modern dac to go with the i21 for that money.
explain why you need a dac for the TV, does it not have analogue out sockets?
My tv have one analog (aux) socket. And 2 optical. Honestly, I don’t know the difference, just that someone told me that digital (optical cable) is better.

insider9

I owned I22 and A30.1 and one of my best mates had I21. The sound of the two you're comparing is nothing alike. I22 is a Class D design where I21 is a dual mono class AB. Personal preference and speakers used are key.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I owned I22 and A30.1 and one of my best mates had I21. The sound of the two you're comparing is nothing alike. I22 is a Class D design where I21 is a dual mono class AB. Personal preference and speakers used are key.
I don’t really know what that means, sorry, I am kinda new to the hifi world. :)
I’ve just bought a pair old B&W DM685.

My tv have one analog (aux) socket. And 2 optical. Honestly, I don’t know the difference, just that someone told me that digital (optical cable) is better.
You are correct in that the digital output will bypass the TV converter, which is good.
the difference in sound between the two amplifiers is what you need to concentrate on. The DaC in the i22 was an optional extra. If you are only going to use the DAC for the TV then I would say it's not essential whereas the sound of the amplifier through the speakers that you have is.

Hobnob

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
You are correct in that the digital output will bypass the TV converter, which is good.
the difference in sound between the two amplifiers is what you need to concentrate on. The DaC in the i22 was an optional extra. If you are only going to use the DAC for the TV then I would say it's not essential whereas the sound of the amplifier through the speakers that you have is.
You are right, it seems a bit overkill to buy the i22 with the built in DAC for an extra 300€...it’s better to put that amount of money into a better DAC or something else more fun. But is the i22 a much better amp than i21 or could you say they are similar in quality and detail but with different “sound”

insider9

I don’t really know what that means, sorry, I am kinda new to the hifi world. :)
I’ve just bought a pair old B&W DM685.
They will sound much different and I'm in no position to tell you which one you will prefer. My choice out of the two most of the time would be the I21. I22 can sound bright with the wrong speakers and considering your choice of speakers I'd say I21 would probably be a better choice. But that's me and my taste. You could very much prefer the other one.

I don't know the quality of DAC built into I22 as mine came without but I'd be surprised if you couldn't do better than this for the price. I22 is perhaps a little livelier sounding of the two but not by much and I21 isn't exactly lacking in this department.

I'm going to generalise here but that may be helpful to you. If detail retrieval, soundstage and all hifi gimmicks are important to you go for I22. If you care more about the tone then I21 would be the way to go.

Reactions: Hobnob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts