Price ratio

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
So, my second post! Haven't decided on a TT yet, because of many reasons.

If I'm going to get to buying a TT, then I would like some more information. What-hifi seems to have friendly users.

Does anyone have a handy price ratio for TT:phono:Amp ?

I've seen people complaining at expos that some brands would slap a phono that was three times the price of the actual TT, which seems ridiculous.

I mean I want a quality sound, but I want it to be primarily because I bought the right TT, hopefully someone will understand my dillema.

priam said:
So, my second post! Haven't decided on a TT yet, because of many reasons.

If I'm going to get to buying a TT, then I would like some more information. What-hifi seems to have friendly users.

Does anyone have a handy price ratio for TT:phono:Amp ?

I've seen people complaining at expos that some brands would slap a phono that was three times the price of the actual TT, which seems ridiculous.

I mean I want a quality sound, but I want it to be primarily because I bought the right TT, hopefully someone will understand my dillema.

Hi Priam,

I don't unless you intend to buy an amplifier without an inbuilt phono stage, or do you already have an amp? Ultimately your sound quality will be down to the cartridge fitted to that particular turntable.

Do you already own a lot of vinyl? Why do you want a turntable if your main concern is sound quality?

Apologies for all the questions but, like many posters, you leave a lot of information out.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi, yeah, sorry. I just have a heckload of vinyls, and I want a TT to play them on, so I just wanted to know if there's a rule of thumb for the Phono, if a TT was of X value.

priam said:
Hi, yeah, sorry. I just have a heckload of vinyls, and I want a TT to play them on, so I just wanted to know if there's a rule of thumb for the Phono, if a TT was of X value.

There isn't one. Just buy an amp with an inbuilt phono stage unless you are talking big money and moving coil cartridges. ;-)

See, you haven't answered my questions....... easily done.

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I have my eyes set on a ClearAudio Concept, wouldn't break the bank, with an mm cartridge. I'll need to buy everything new, phono, amp, and speakers.

priam said:
I have my eyes set on a ClearAudio Concept, wouldn't break the bank, with an mm cartridge. I'll need to buy everything new, phono, amp, and speakers.

OK. Simply look at amplifiers with an inbuilt phono stage, many still have them, and forget about external phono pre-amps as you will not need one.

priam said:
Any suggestions? What's the advantage of a stand-alone phono pre-amps?

Not many unless you have a good deal of money to spend on one, most inbuilt ones are pretty good. Upgradablility I suppose without the need to change your amplifier, and they become necessary if you go down the route of moving coil type cartridges as the vast majority of inbuilt ones only handle moving magnet type cartridges (which most of the cheaper one are).

;-) It seems a bit early in the day to be having this sort of response, are you on the Indian subcontinent?? I am working (sort of) nights which is why you are getting replies at this hour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts