Price of internal hard drives

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I was all set to buy a Synology NAS with x2 2TB of harddrives after saving hard and having the NAS and chosen hard drives in my Amazon "save for later" basket. Just looked at the hard drives have more than doubled in price - they were floating around the sub-£60 and are now at around £150 each

Anyone know why? Is this a temporary blip? I would have expected external 2TB hard drives to go up in price by a similar amount if this was a market thing because of some lack of parts but nope, you can still get them for £70 or so.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
This from the Japanese business press the other day:

"Hard-Drive Prices More Than Double At Tokyo Stores

TOKYO (Nikkei)--Retail prices of hard-disk drives are up sharply in Japan as floodwaters in Thailand threaten a global production hub for the devices.

In Tokyo's Akihabara electronics district, the price of removable hard drives has jumped more than 100% since the floods began.

Prices of 2-terabyte 3.5-inch hard drives for desktop computers have gone up to roughly 12,000 yen to 14,000 yen, compared with 6,000 yen to 7,000 yen a month ago.

Stores have begun running out of models from U.S. firm Western Digital Corp., which relies on Thai plants for 60% of its output, and Hitachi Ltd. (6501), which has throttled back production. Facing an increase in bulk buying, Bic Camera Inc. subsidiary Sofmap Co. has instituted a policy of two drives per customer.

More customers are buying secondhand hard drives since the floods, according to Sofmap. At one Akihabara computer parts store, used 2-terabyte 3.5-inch models from Western Digital now go for upwards of 6,000 yen, compared with just over 5,000 yen before the floods.

The flooding is also expected to lift prices of hard drives in large-volume business-to-business sales. These prices had been falling amid weak worldwide demand for PCs."

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
I really must pay more attention to the news/newspapers, as I had no idea there had been such devastating floods. My desire for a cheap hard drive is really rather secondary now!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm suprised there is just one 'global production hub' for manufacturing hard drives.

Well , I suppose thats the "global economy" we now live in. I should imagine these factories run 24hrs a day 7 days a week.

There may be some other plants somewhere on the Planet but I bet there are not not many.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts