Have prices of HDD come down to pre-Thailand flooding levels?

I can see that the prices of hard disk drives are gradually falling. But have they come down enough, or will they continue to fall a bit more? The reason I'm asking is, that I'm planning to invest in a Synology NAS drive. 2TB Western Digital hard drives are £85 on Amazon currently. I seem to recall that it was around £65 before the floods. However, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bigboss

I have already got a synology NAS and have been keeping an eye on exact same HDD for some time (great minds obviously think alike ;)).

According to the 'Camelizer' that HDD was around £58 back in October, but I'm not convinced they will ever go back that low. (FYI Camelizer is a really useful Chrome extension).

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Valid points - but unfortunately I still need a 2 Tb HDD now for my music and photos.

Hopefully, once the HDD is long in the tooth, I can afford a massive SSD but the combined cost of HDD now and SSD later should still be much lower than buying a large SSD now.

Agreed. In fact, with large capacity cheap SSDs in the future, even NAS drives will shrink in size:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-teeny-tiny-nas-perfect-to-101668

For now, even with the high prices of HDDs, it's cheaper as compared to an SSD. And as you rightly pointed out, the requirement is NOW. Perhaps this is what WD & Seagate are taking advantage of.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts