Preamp with or without streamer?

Revolutions

I've been starting to plan my long term system goals & need a bit of help with research/options around preamps. Thanks to some awesome advice from lovely a member here I've booked in a demo of some active speakers: ATC SMC40a. That would mean going the preamp route rather than integrated, something I've not looked too much into before.

The ATC CDA 2 got me interested as I can ditch cd player (max 10% of my listening time), reducing boxes. Unfortunately stock of that is limited in London: there are 2 ATC dealers near me & both gave me quite different options for preamp.

I thought it'd be a good idea to do some research in this area & go in to the demo a bit more aware. The breadth of features & prices across even the units below is leading me down rabbit hole after rabbit hole:
  • ATC CDA 2 Mk2
  • Naim NSC 2222
  • Naim NAC 252
  • Linn DSM
  • NAD M66
  • Hifi Rose RS150
  • Eversolo DMP-8

So why not do some crowd sourcing to confuse things even more!

What kind of preamp should I look to? - if sound quality is my number one deciding factor, is dac/streamer/cd just going to add cost & limit my main goal?

Sources, from most used to least:
  • Turntable w/ external preamp
  • CD Transport (into preamp via Wiim pro plus)
  • WiiM pro plus for streaming Tidal/Spotify

Budget up to £6,000

Cheers :)

manicm

The Eversolo DMP-A8 I would say, provided you're prepared to do some tweaking. Hifi News has just reviewed it.

But since you have that budget I would toss up between the Hifi Rose and the NAD. In either case bring your own phono preamp.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

The Eversolo DMP-A8 I would say, provided you're prepared to do some tweaking. Hifi News has just reviewed it.

But since you have that budget I would toss up between the Hifi Rose and the NAD. In either case bring your own phono preamp.
Thanks. What do you mean by tweaking with eversolo?

Why those models? & have you listened to any of them?

twinkletoes

Back in the day I would have said a naim nac 272 it sounded fab with those speakers when I had a demo. Just didn’t have the cash to stretch that far. Don’t know if naim have replacement or not.

But even secound hand it would be something I’d look into. If it streaming smarts are dead simply add a wim pro for a new lease of life. It was a fine dac in its own right.

Naims dac v1 also might worth a look.

Somthing I’d seriously look at though would be a chord Hugo tt2.

I take it you mean 6k without the speakers?

Edit sorry I missed the phono pre So some of these options may not work.

manicm

Thanks. What do you mean by tweaking with eversolo?

Why those models? & have you listened to any of them?

The Eversolo is bright. I heard it briefly (my friend is an AV distributor). In more than one review tweaks have been done in DSP, Hifi News reduced the gain a bit although they still gave it an Outstanding rating.

It has seperate DSP/equalisation for the analogue and digital inputs.

Revolutions

Back in the day I would have said a naim nac 272 it sounded fab with those speakers when I had a demo. Just didn’t have the cash to stretch that far. Don’t know if naim have replacement or not.

But even secound hand it would be something I’d look into. If it streaming smarts are dead simply add a wim pro for a new lease of life. It was a fine dac in its own right.

Naims dac v1 also might worth a look.

Somthing I’d seriously look at though would be a chord Hugo tt2.

I take it you mean 6k without the speakers?

Edit sorry I missed the phono pre So some of these options may not work.
Yes, £6k without speakers. So that covers either the Naim NAC 252 preamp or NSC 222 streamer/pre.

The older Naim is probably a great idea, but learning from previous exploits I really want to demo everything & ask questions.

Revolutions

The Eversolo is bright. I heard it briefly (my friend is an AV distributor). In more than one review tweaks have been done in DSP, Hifi News reduced the gain a bit although they still gave it an Outstanding rating.

It has seperate DSP/equalisation for the analogue and digital inputs.
Hmm, thanks for that the info. I guess I can pop down to my local richer sounds & ask them how easy it is to get sounding good.

daytona600

Eversolo check ebay
1/2 price after a few months Chinese hifi has shocking 2nd hand values

£6k Lampizator Baltic 4

£3k Elipson P1F Preamp with digital + analogue modules & XLR outputs for ATC

Revolutions

Eversolo check ebay
1/2 price after a few months Chinese hifi has shocking 2nd hand values

£6k Lampizator Baltic 4

£3k Elipson P1F Preamp with digital + analogue modules & XLR outputs for ATC

Thanks, two interesting looking units. What do you like about them? Have you heard either?

Revolutions

Keeping a pre-amplifier and streamer separate allows you to obtain the best you can within their price range, and allows easy future upgrading without having to sell on a perfectly good pre-amplifier with an ageing streaming section.
Yeah I’m suddenly bouncing back to this idea. And the WiiM pro + has all the functionality I need.

I guess I shoot for something like the ATC CDA that removes lots of boxes, or just stick to an analogue preamp.

Reactions: nopiano

record_spot

Personally, wouldn't use the Wiim Pro Plus without a separate DAC - on its own, it's pretty uninspiring. I use mine with a Cambridge DACMagic 200M and it's no lie to say it's some of the best audio I've heard.

My take? Work out what you need. I opted for a switching box to manage my various sources as my actives have limited inputs for the onboard preamp. Works a treat and keeps things pretty simple, without the need for an additional box of electronics getting in the way.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
Personally, wouldn't use the Wiim Pro Plus without a separate DAC - on its own, it's pretty uninspiring. I use mine with a Cambridge DACMagic 200M and it's no lie to say it's some of the best audio I've heard.

My take? Work out what you need. I opted for a switching box to manage my various sources as my actives have limited inputs for the onboard preamp. Works a treat and keeps things pretty simple, without the need for an additional box of electronics getting in the way.
I must concur... I plan on getting a new integrated amp with an inboard dac since I have planned on getting a better amp for years anyway. I would advise the op to do the same. Unless he's is dead set on separates, in which case he could get a preamp with inboard dac....

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts