Question Pre out (full range) to speaker in on subwoofer?

YouGottaHaveAName

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I have a PV1 subwoofer in a stereo setup. I'm currently using the speaker input on the subwoofer. That means I can set a crossover on the subwoofer, but send the full range to the main speakers.

I would like to buy an amp that can send a high pass filtered signal to the main speakers to let the subwoofer handle the deep bass alone. I am looking at buying a used Nad M3, as it can send two pre out signals at once: one that is high pass filtered (for the main speakers) + one that is full range (for the subwoofer).

This is where my question comes in.
The PV1 subwoofer only has LFE in (which is not relevant here) and speaker in (which comes with a RJ11 input for some reason).

My question is this: Could I buy an RJ11 to 2×RCA converter and connect the full range pre out (left+right) from the Nad M3 to the speaker level input on the PV1? And then send the other pre out (high pass filtered) to my main speakers?

Hope someone can help (and that the question makes sense)
Thank you!

Last edited:

Gray

[QUOTE="YouGottaHaveAName, post: 1221497,
My question is this: Could I buy an RJ11 to 2×RCA converter and connect the full range pre out (left+right) from the Nad M3 to the speaker level input on the PV1? And then send the other pre out (high pass filtered) to my main speakers?
[/QUOTE]
No, because the pre out wouldn't be giving speaker level.

YouGottaHaveAName

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
[QUOTE="YouGottaHaveAName, post: 1221497,
No, because the pre out wouldn't be giving speaker level.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. Thought so.
I was just wondering, as the subwoofer will in any case use its own amplification.

Could you see any solution other than getting a different subwoofer?

Could I, for example, buy an external low pass filter and send the pre out through that and into the LFE input on the subwoofer?

Or could I buy a cheap power amp and run the full range pre out from the NAD M3 through that and then run cables from the cheap power amp's speaker output (which will be full range) into the subwoofer 'speaker level' input?

Thank you.

YouGottaHaveAName

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Thank you.
I do have an adjustable cross-over on the subwoofer, which goes down to 40hz.
With my current set-up, I've just experienced that the subwoofer and my main speakers still end up overlapping a bit on some particular notes.

This is why I thought I wanted a set-up where everything below 40hz was handled by the sub alone.

This is why I thought of buying a NAD M3 with the high pass filter option.
But I of course don't know if this would actually sound better.

It's just one of those things that are hard to test before buying

Reactions: Gray

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you.
I do have an adjustable cross-over on the subwoofer, which goes down to 40hz.
With my current set-up, I've just experienced that the subwoofer and my main speakers still end up overlapping a bit on some particular notes.

This is why I thought I wanted a set-up where everything below 40hz was handled by the sub alone.

This is why I thought of buying a NAD M3 with the high pass filter option.
But I of course don't know if this would actually sound better.

It's just one of those things that are hard to test before buying

Hello sir :)

Getting a sub fully well integrated with speakers might not be a easy task. The listening positing to sub distance and main speaker distance has to be the same to avoid timing delays. Next comes the phase issue. And not to mention crossover settings and volumes. May I suggest using some dsp. Lots of options there out now. I use a dspeaker antimode 2.0 with spectacular results. Also just got myself a minidsp SHD which iam yet to try, as iam a complete convert to dsp solutions now.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank so for this suggestion.
Never tried one of those.
Might be worth considering.

Do you personalty - with the dsp - send the full range signal to both subwoofer and main speakers?

All the best,
- Johan

Actually my wiring so far is a little different sir. My 3 way speakers have 3 binding posts. And my preamp has two outputs. So one output goes to my tube amps, which drive the mids and treble through the speakers crossover. Another preamp output, goes to the dspeaker antimode 2.0 for bass correction. The corrected bass output is fed to the power amps driving the bass drivers, through the speakers crossover.

The antimode 2.0 does not have a inbuilt crossover option that i could find. That is why I've just bought a minidsp SHD which has this option. So i now plan to crossover my main speakers to two stereo subs through the same. And enable dirac live correction on top.

But even in my present configuration, the antimode 2.0 did a marvelous job of getting rid of my boomy bass modes. My speakers are huge and my room is only 11.5 ft x 15 ft. So without dsp, the bass modes were drowning everything else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts