Pre amps and power amps

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Please could someone tell me the relationship between pre and power amps and how changing one or the other affects the sound?

I have heard the 'source first' argument which suggests the pre is the more important in the chain, but is this correct? Or can the power amp dramatically change the sound?

For example could a leaner power cool off an over-warm pre, or could a fast, energetic power add some guts to a more laid back pre?

Or does the power just amplify the characteristic of the pre?

Would really appreciate any thoughts from those with experience.

Thanks,

James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hierarchy dictates the pre is more important than the power amplifier from a sound quality point of view.

Changing the pre-amplifier, or improving it, will give you better sound quality. The pre-amp does performs switching, volume control, and may or may not contain a phono equaliser. It deals with very low level signals, which it then passes onto the power amp.

Despite its single job of purely amplifying, the power amp will also affect sound quality. Improving or changing this can bring greater power output, better control, and better dynamic capability.

As I say, both will affect sound quality, with aspects like distortion figures and signal/noise ratios dictating the sort of noise floor these products will have.

Which one you change in a system is dependent on what you're trying to achieve - better sound quality, or better control or power requirements for a particular speaker.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agree with Mark. Although there's nothing to stop you experimenting to get the right combination for you, I would normally recommend matching pre/power from the same manufacturer.

davidf said:
Agree with Mark. Although there's nothing to stop you experimenting to get the right combination for you, I would normally recommend matching pre/power from the same manufacturer.

So would I. There's little to be gained from buying pre and power from different manufacturers, in fact there is a fair bit you could lose. If in doubt stick to an integrated. The sound will more likely be effected by the power only if it has insufficient resources to drive your speakers adequately.

P.S.. Spoken like a dealer davidf, experimenting is costly to some and profitable to others. ;-)

jas0_0 said:
Thanks everyone - really appreciate the informed responses. Though not really what I was hoping to hear!

Basically I had a Cyrus 8XPD QX integrated with a streamer and a tv going into the dac and a phono stage added. Then I found a second hand Linn Majik DSi and thought great! everything all in one box! With my old Mission 773s there wasn't a great deal of difference in sound, but then I found some bargain second hand Proac Response One SCs.

With the Linn they just sound a bit lacklustre - sort of an empty sound where the top end dominates and the whole thing sounds a bit wishy washy (if that's a technical term!)

I still have my old Cyrus, so I tried running the digital out from the Linn into that to power the Proacs and it all sounded great - fun agile, full-bodied and sparkly.

So the reason for the initial question was whether I could add a Cyrus power to the Linn and get the best of both worlds, or whether the Linn pre is always going to be the weak link.

From what you're all saying, it sounds like I need to go back to the drawing board.

I just wish that Cyrus streamer pres had analogue inputs.

Maybe I should try Naim?

Not if you liked the sound of the Cyrus.... :)

Both of your devices have pre outs do they not? I would stick with one sell the other and buy a power amp from the same manufacturer to whatever you choose to keep.

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone - really appreciate the informed responses. Though not really what I was hoping to hear!

Basically I had a Cyrus 8XPD QX integrated with a streamer and a tv going into the dac and a phono stage added. Then I found a second hand Linn Majik DSi and thought great! everything all in one box! With my old Mission 773s there wasn't a great deal of difference in sound, and my girlfriend and I have grown to love the Linn software and Songcast function. But then I found some bargain second hand Proac Response One SCs.

With the Linn they just sound a bit lacklustre - sort of an empty sound where the top end dominates and the whole thing sounds a bit wishy washy (if that's a technical term!)

I still have my old Cyrus, so I tried running the digital out from the Linn into that to power the Proacs and it sounded fantastic - fun, agile, detailed, full-bodied and sparkly and so much better than the Missions.

So the reason for the initial question was whether I could add a Cyrus power to the Linn and get the best of both worlds (the great functionality of the Linn and the awesome sound of the Cyrus), or is the pre in the Linn always going to be the weak link?

I'm open to the idea of keeping the Proacs and starting again from scratch to find a system that sounds right with them and offers the functionality I've now become used to. My fear is that doesn't exist!

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Al ears. I guess those are my options - like a Linn power amp or go back to a Cyrus multi-box system with clunkier controls but better (for me) sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts